wow, 90% approve this deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
No suprise with me. I thought it would be around that #. Just a few sour grapes trying to stir up stuff.

hockey_nut

Mar 19, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Sportsnet and The Score are also saying it was 87% of players voted yes

saskin was on tsn saying too that the number is 87%... only 550 players voted

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I figured it would be high but am admittedly surprised it was %87! I take this as a sign that the players are ready to move on which is awesome!!!

Lanny MacDonald*

Wow, that was close! A real nail biter. :sarcasm:

I hope blamebettman doesn't step in front of a bus out of desperation. No wait, maybe I do. ;)

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Do Wetcoaster and that rabidly pro-PA chick from Vancouver post anymore?

Or did they go into hiding after their boy Goodenow got totally embarrassed?

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
craig1 said:
I want to know who the 13% were that voted against it.......that's around 72 or 73 players.
What would be interesting to see would be the distribution. Was it largely a few players scattered over each team? Were there large concentrations in a few teams? Etc.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
I'm surprised it was that low, actually. I had predicted 90+ percent.

Although, it was such a forgone conclusion the past few days, I wouldn't be surprised if a few folks threw a no vote in just to express their dissatisfaction, that would have voted yes otherwise.

Brad*

I think this is a simple case of most of them just wanting to put this behind them and get playing again. Call them what you want, but in the end most of the players do care about playing hockey in the NHL again, even if it meant accepting a "worse" proposal. Those who voted "no" will forget it in time, when things are rolling again.

colonel_korn

Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
Nov 30, 2002
St John's, NL
Visit site
Greschner4 said:

Actually Wetcoaster has been posting on the Canucks board recently but he seems to be making an effort to avoid this one. :D

SPARTAKUS*

Greschner4 said:

Not to fast my little friend. That's what we said in 1995 and look what happened. I truly think this is a great deal for the players and the owners.

iagreewithidiots

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Greschner4 said:

I just want to know if the cap was such a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad thing. If people who wanted one were such stupid poodles. Where are all the loud mouth anti cappers yelling and screaming about how horrible this deal is for us?

Where are you now?

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
craig1 said:
I want to know who the 13% were that voted against it.......that's around 72 players.
Did I read somewhere that the Atlanta and Columbus players were going to vote no en masse?
That may account for about 40-50 players.

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
getnziggywidit said:
Did I read somewhere that the Atlanta and Columbus players were going to vote no en masse?
That may account for about 40-50 players.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2005/07/15/1133177-sun.html

In the wake of the agreement which includes a $39 million (all figures US) salary cap, there was scuttlebutt that suggested whole teams are preparing to vote No.

The talk was groups of players from the Minnesota Wild, New York Islanders and Atlanta Thrashers are all prepared to shoot down the new CBA based on what they've read in newspapers and heard on television.

Considering how he puts it and that it's written by Garrioch, I wouldn't put too much stock in it's accuracy.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
Here are the types of guys I can see voting against it.

McCabe - bitter guys with big mouths
Kovalchuk - guys who can make more money in their home country now, during a lockout, and for the uncertain future

codswallop

yes, i am an alcoholic
Aug 20, 2002
GA
theBob said:
Here are the types of guys I can see voting against it.

McCabe - bitter guys with big mouths
Kovalchuk - guys who can make more money in their home country now, during a lockout, and for the uncertain future

Probably not from the team Kovalchuk was on last year, a one time effort to buy the title for the team's anniversary (which of course didn't work). Kovalchuk might be able to get another $3M tax free in Russia, though I'm not sure how many other owners there are keen on throwing more money down a sink-hole; they can't make a profit on that with the revenue they pull in.

Besides, he should get at least 2/3 of that after taxes with his new contract. And I remember reading a bunch of articles about him and the RSL, many said that he wasn't having that great of a time back home. Constantly being monitored by the team during his time away from the rink. And you gotta think that a high profile guy with gobs of money over there is at least on the radar of their mafia; even the thought of that (true or not) would have me running for the hills.

I think he got used to being over here. He was known but not that well known, could do what he wanted in his free time, nobody keeping tabs on him. That'd be worth the pay cut. Just hire a good financial planner and it really becomes a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad