Would Yzerman have been a HOFer after '96?

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
Not to further pile on the poster, but it's always been a peeve of mine when fans try to "perfect" player's careers, and suggest that they should have retired earlier.

And, here in the case of Yzerman, as well as with countless others (e.g., Messier, Mario, etc.) devalue the player for hanging on several years longer than the critics would have liked.

Hint: It's his career, his livelihood. And so what if the Steve Yzerman of 2006 (still a very servicable player) was not the Stevie Y of 1996?! There are those geniuses who suggest that Messier's reputation as a great leader was marred because of his last several seasons on a non-playoff Rangers team. Guess what? Those teams stunk! Not to mention that in the yerars prior, Messier accomplished more than most others who ever played the game!

Why not just appreciate the player for what he is? I personally NEVER want to see greats retire, and never understand why fans are eager to send players out to pasture prematurely, so that their own idea of a perfect career is served.

Actually I wanted Yzerman to play another a year. I wanted to see him get his 700th goal and he also needed 55 points to become the Red Wings all-time leading scorer. If he would've reached those milestones then he would've been a definite lock for the HOF. Anyways I agree that the veteran players should play as long as they want.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Actually I wanted Yzerman to play another a year. I wanted to see him get his 700th goal and he also needed 55 points to become the Red Wings all-time leading scorer. If he would've reached those milestones then he would've been a definite lock for the HOF. Anyways I agree that the veteran players should play as long as they want.

He was a lock for the Hall of Fame 10 or 12 years ago. Why you can't see that........?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I can't see it being an issue that he hadn't won given the slew of others who haven't been punished for being part of the teams that they came from, i.e. Neely and Federko. If his career hadn't overlapped Gretzky and Lemieux's he'd have been recognized more for his greatness.

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
He was a lock for the Hall of Fame 10 or 12 years ago. Why you can't see that........?

It's just one of those things that I have to actually see it happen to believe it. It's not a guarantee like it is with Messier, Francis, Hull, Robitaille, Stevens, Lidstrom, Chelios, Sakic, etc. I've seen how Yzerman has been overlooked during his career so it just wouldn't be a bit surprising if it happens again. This is just like with the number retirement. I didn't think that would happen either. I had to hear someone from Red Wings management announce it before I believed it would happen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's just one of those things that I have to actually see it happen to believe it. It's not a guarantee like it is with Messier, Francis, Hull, Robitaille, Stevens, Lidstrom, Chelios, Sakic, etc. I've seen how Yzerman has been overlooked during his career so it just wouldn't be a bit surprising if it happens again. This is just like with the number retirement. I didn't think that would happen either. I had to hear someone from Red Wings management announce it before I believed it would happen.

He's more guaranteed than any of the players you list except Messier. Absolutely everyone considers him one of the game's all-time greats. Since 1980 only Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, and maybe Bourque would rate ahead of him.

The guy has been absolutely showered with awards and praise throughout his career. He's never been overlooked in any way, shape or form. He'll go into the HHOF on the first ballot, likely getting 100% of the possible votes.

You live under some sort of very strange rock.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
He's more guaranteed than any of the players you list except Messier. Absolutely everyone considers him one of the game's all-time greats. Since 1980 only Gretzky, Messier, Lemieux, Roy, and maybe Bourque would rate ahead of him.

The guy has been absolutely showered with awards and praise throughout his career. He's never been overlooked in any way, shape or form. He'll go into the HHOF on the first ballot, likely getting 100% of the possible votes.

Just ignore SGY19, he seems to have this strange desire to view Yzerman as some sort of martyr.

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006

You're joking right? Yzerman showered with awards? LOL. Yzerman has only won 1 Pearson, 1 Selke, 1 conn smythe, 1 Masterton trophy, and of course his most recent the Lester Patrick award. That is hardly being showered with awards. He's been constantly overlooked and as recent as 2002 when he should've won the conn smythe. He also should've won the calder, a couple hart trophies, another selke, and he should've had more post season all-star selections.

Players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Chelios, Lidstrom, Sakic, etc. have been showered with awards, but not Yzerman.

TheDakkster*

You're joking right? Yzerman showered with awards? LOL. Yzerman has only won 1 Pearson, 1 Selke, 1 conn smythe, 1 Masterton trophy, and of course his most recent the Lester Patrick award. That is hardly being showered with awards. He's been constantly overlooked and as recent as 2002 when he should've won the conn smythe. He also should've won the calder, a couple hart trophies, another selke, and he should've had more post season all-star selections.

Players like Gretzky, Lemieux, Chelios, Lidstrom, Sakic, etc. have been showered with awards, but not Yzerman.

Don't take this the wrong way, but will you please just die?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

You likely care more about the awards (5 DIFFERENT TROPHY'S!!!) he won or didn't win than Yzerman himself does. I sure don't think it matters that Yzerman did not win the 2002 Conn Smythe because his play that playoffs will reasonate for the next 50 years with or without a trophy. One freaking leg!!!!!

PS: If you think Ron Francis is a more likely HOFer and got more respect and accolades during his career than Ron Francis did then you are living on a different planet.

Whatever Man*

Yzerman was a shoe-in for the HOF in 96, and is a complete no-brainer a decade later.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
For the life of me, I cant understand how Yzerman could gave possibly won that Pearson over Lemieux that year. Regardless though, he certainly had the numbers to be a HHOFer after 1996. Up to that point in his career, he was a lot like Dale Hawerchuk. Not an all-time great, but certainly plenty good enough.

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
You likely care more about the awards (5 DIFFERENT TROPHY'S!!!) he won or didn't win than Yzerman himself does. I sure don't think it matters that Yzerman did not win the 2002 Conn Smythe because his play that playoffs will reasonate for the next 50 years with or without a trophy. One freaking leg!!!!!

PS: If you think Ron Francis is a more likely HOFer and got more respect and accolades during his career than Ron Francis did then you are living on a different planet.

I'm well aware that Ron Francis has won fewer awards than Yzerman. The one big thing that puts Francis ahead of Yzerman is the fact that Francis is in the top 5 for all-time points, while Yzerman is not in the top 5.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'm well aware that Ron Francis has won fewer awards than Yzerman. The one big thing that puts Francis ahead of Yzerman is the fact that Francis is in the top 5 for all-time points, while Yzerman is not in the top 5.
Man, Yzerman is quite comfortably a top 50 player all time at this point. He is undoubtably in the Hall on his first ballot, it is literally impossible (baring a complete scandal) for him not to get in on his first ballot.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Well Yzerman got 22 more points than Mario so I guess Stevie Y was better than Mario. And Francis was better than them both.

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
Well Yzerman got 22 more points than Mario so I guess Stevie Y was better than Mario. And Francis was better than them both.

Of course not. Mario has played in alot less games than both Yzerman and Francis. Mario has also won alot more awards than both of them.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Of course not. Mario has played in alot less games than both Yzerman and Francis. Mario has also won alot more awards than both of them.

Mario got screwed over he should have had a ton more awards. I am surprised he even made the Hall of Fame. I mean I could understand if some of the other Penguins made it like John Cullen and Rob Brown. People remember those guys but Mario actually being elected to the Hall of Fame I can't believe it. The Penguins owner and president has no respect at all for what Mario has meant to the Penguins. It is a shame the President and Owner of the Penguins doesn't have the respect for Mario to retire his number again or maybe 4 or 5 more times.

Mario is a mayrtr. Please cry for Mario he never got any respect. The 87-88 Hart Trophy win by Wayne Gretzky is the greatest outrage in the history of Sports.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->