Would You Watch Scabs Play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
We've been talking about this on the Oilers' board a bit and it's gotten some interesting results. Take a look: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=104060. Just wondering what everyone thinks.

There has been some speculation about the league perhaps eventually calling an "impasse". If that occurs the league could force a new economic system on the league at which point the players would likely strike.

This leads to an interesting question - would you watch scabs play in NHL uniforms?

Here's Gary's current statements:

Q. Commissioner, what is the League's entitlement if a year goes by and there is no agreement? How can you reconstitute the League and begin play again?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: The question that you are asking is, when can an employer unilaterally implement new terms and conditions of employment. You can do that at impasse. I have seen a lot of speculation that that's something that we plan to do, and it's something, quite frankly, we haven't given any thought. We're hoping that at some point in the not-too-distant future, the League and the players can get together and that the Union will finally be prepared to negotiate the type of partnership deal that can take our game forward.

Q. This may be too early to say, but do you ever envision a scenario in which you might use replacement players?

COMMISSIONER BETTMAN: As I indicated before that's not anything we have been considering. Speculation on that has probably been used as a device to get the players energized, but it's not something we're considering right now.

from: http://www.nhlcbanews.com/transcripts/bettman_qa091504.html

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can you imagine guys showing up in their Chevy's to cross a picket line formed by a bunch of guys driving Ferrarri's??

I don't think it'll get to that. There's 700 wives/girlfriends and several more alimony/support payments that won't allow it to get to that!!! :D :D

I say we start seeing some serious cracks (in the union!! ;)) by Christmas!!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Grave77digger said:
AHL teams should play in there parent club building

And penalize the AHL markets? The AHL won't make nearly as much money and there isn't even 30 AHL teams right now, to even cover most of the costs it does for NHL clubs. Most AHL teams are not owned by their NHL parent.

Although the Phantoms and Flyers have the same owner, even the same city. Philadelphia lucked out a bit with this lockout.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
If this was what I got stuck watching with my tickets (that I've already paid for), I'd demand a big portion of my money back, since I'd most likely be watching some seriously sub-par hockey.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Benji Frank said:
Can you imagine guys showing up in their Chevy's to cross a picket line formed by a bunch of guys driving Ferrarri's??

I don't think it'll get to that. There's 700 wives/girlfriends and several more alimony/support payments that won't allow it to get to that!!! :D :D

I say we start seeing some serious cracks (in the union!! ;)) by Christmas!!!

I hope you're right BF!

BCCHL inactive

No to scabs.

Why would I want to watch scabs in the NHL (most likely minor pro and junior players) and pay NHL ticket prices when I could watch those same players play with their regular teams at an AHL, ECHL or CHL ticket price??

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Hell yeah, I'd watch the scabs. If enough people did watch the scabs, we'd see the union crack pretty damn quick. Unless of course, the current NHLers are eager to look for new jobs, without college degrees, in this economy. I'd say that when listing "special skills" on a resume, a 95mph slapshot probably won't get you a job in sales.

ExplosiveLEAFman

Jan 6, 2004
No and most people wouldn't. Talk is cheap. Scabs only sounds like a good idea (not to me) until you watch them play.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Sotnos said:
Even if they're charging you standard NHL prices to watch them?

The monkey idea does sound pretty fun though :)

Clearly with monkeys they'd only be charging peanuts.

AHLers wouldn't be much more.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I would.

And anyone who thinks the NHL would charge regular price to attend games is most probably seriously misguided.

Quite simply, I will watch the best hockey I can watch. I like options. This means if the NHL employed scabs but that other options were more entertaining, I wouldn't watch the scabs.

But I have nothing against the concept itself and would watch gladly.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
explosivethinman said:
No and most people wouldn't. Talk is cheap. Scabs only sounds like a good idea (not to me) until you watch them play.

You mean end to end, emotion filled, passionate hockey without traps or defensive systems employed to put the crowds to sleep? You mean actual offensive hockey?

Oh no, who wants that. Bring me the Minnesota Wild and Carolina Hurricanes. ;)

BCCHL inactive

puck you said:
You mean end to end, emotion filled, passionate hockey without traps or defensive systems employed to put the crowds to sleep? You mean actual offensive hockey?

If you think the trap/defensive hockey doesn't exist outside the NHL, you haven't watched much hockey outside the NHL in recent years.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
Most AHL players are on NHL contracts. Replacements would have to be drawn mostly from the ECHL and the semi-pro leagues. I don't think the hockey can be sold as anywhere near major league. I think most fans would prefer Major Junior.

It isn't going to happen. The NHL will try to get a judge to declare an impasse in the negotiations and allow them to unilaterally impose change. The NHLPA will oppose that that motion. I'm not going to try to guess what a judge will do in that case but I would guess that it depends on whether there is a lot more effort on the owner's behalf to negotiate a deal between now and then. If the judge rules for the players, nothing changes.

If the judge rules in favour of the league, the NHL will probably try to tempt the players with the most generous salary cap system they are prepared to give. The players will have three options: 1) Convert the lockout to a strike. As long as the players hold firm nothing really changes 2) Decertify the union, report for work and start with the anti-trust lawsuits or 3) Accept the deal or a variation of the deal.

Tom

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Tom, if the NHL could legally pull it, would (some of) the NHL-bound players have (legally) the right to cross the line and play with the scabs?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vlad The Impaler said:
Tom, if the NHL could legally pull it, would (some of) the NHL-bound players have (legally) the right to cross the line and play with the scabs?

After the impasse: Yes (and some will). Until that time we won't know how big a rift exists within the NHLPA. 40% of players might not be happy with Goodenow and walk as a group. It might be 10%, it might be just a handful. With 1200 employees and fringe NHL/AHL/prospects you can bet some will cross. Its not if, its how many and equally important WHO.

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
me2 said:
After the impasse: Yes (and some will). Until that time we won't know how big a rift exists within the NHLPA. 40% of players might not be happy with Goodenow and walk as a group. It might be 10%, it might be just a handful. With 1200 employees and fringe NHL/AHL/prospects you can bet some will cross. Its not if, its how many and equally important WHO.

Ok. My problem with the question (whether they can LEGALLY cross after the impasse) and my problem with replacement players is because of the numerous provincial/state and federal laws at work.

I would really like a study to be done, something. I winder why reporters keep on presenting inane issues and moan instead of reporting interesting stuff like that.

I mean, labor laws differ in Canada and the US. That's one issue. Then hockey takes place in four Canadian provinces, which also have different laws and God knows how many US states. I don't know if US states each have different labor laws the same way we do in our different provinces either.

The whole thing is very complicated and it's tough to find clear answers. I'd like to see detailed articles about that one day, instead of seeing Bob McKenzie's mug telling me the same stuff over and over again like a broken record.

BrickRed

Oct 23, 2003
Phoenix
Visit site
puck you said:

Oh no, who wants that. Bring me the Minnesota Wild and Carolina Hurricanes. ;)

Right on. I'll take players with something to prove, sensible rules called consistently & 80s goalie pads tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad