Would you want Kovalchuk?

Kovalchuk in Nashville?

• Total voters

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
It would be for next year. He's still in the KHL right now

It does not change anything for me. Fisher could be back, especially if the Preds don't win the SC. I expect that Tolvanen will play a 1/2 or a whole season in Nashville next season. Unless a forward gets seriously hurt, a la Fiala, the Preds don't need him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I voted "depends on contract".... but... that's a really heavy dependency at long odds there. I don't feel that the Preds need the distraction or should enter into any Bidding Wars for a UFA Kovalchuk. But if he really wanted to Win A Cup and Nashville was his choice with money and term no object, then, ok, for 1 year and $2M or something like that how could you say no?

So... "depends on contract", but in any practical/realistic sense: "No".

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I voted "depends on contract".... but... that's a really heavy dependency at long odds there. I don't feel that the Preds need the distraction or should enter into any Bidding Wars for a UFA Kovalchuk. But if he really wanted to Win A Cup and Nashville was his choice with money and term no object, then, ok, for 1 year and $2M or something like that how could you say no?

So... "depends on contract", but in any practical/realistic sense: "No".

Pretty much my thoughts.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I'd take him on a one year show-me contract to fight for same minutes with Forsberg, Fiala, Tolvanen, Arvidsson, Smith and Hartman. I'm listing both wings, since some shuffling might have to be done. If he agrees to play where he fits, whether it's first, second or third line, I wouldn't have any issues with a one year deal.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
If the price is right, etc., then sure. He'd be a great depth addition, takes off any pressure for Tolvanen to make the team immediately so he can develop properly, and would add some scoring punch. But I rather doubt the price will be anything close to "right".

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
So which wing do you bump if we sign him? I'm not convinced at his age that he is still a generational talent. I wouldn't breakup JOFA or the FiST lines for him, and if Tolvanen is the real deal then we already have a glut of top 6 wings without adding him

I'd move Smith down without hesitation if he measures up. If not, he would fit in well on the third line. I'd count on Kovalchuk more than Tolvanen next year FWIW.

These are all hypotheticals ... I think we both could agree on the premise that if management thinks he still has talent, he would be on the table at the right price. If they do not, then move on. You are right. We do not have to force a winger on this team, although, it would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Don't think he's a good fit, despite the talent. Very puck dominant player doesn't really mesh with a team that prefers to cycle the puck through the D both in the zone and in transition. He'd be a fantastic trigger-man on the PP but, again, that's a role we run through our D and aren't exactly shy of players in (Arvy, Forsberg, Fiala and soon Tolvanen are all players that could excel with that role). He's been pretty clear his interest is in enhancing his own legacy via a Cup--I know all players are "in it for themselves" to an extent, but that's a dynamic which concerns me a bit.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Kovy is still three times the player Tolvanen is. For one year, next season, a motivated Kovy will still be twice the player Eeli will be next year. Tolvanen is the real thing, but he's not the baby messiah.

e: Unless he and his shot will be ignored by the opposing coaches, in which case Eeli might have a succesful spring.

Last edited:

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
Don't think he's a good fit, despite the talent. Very puck dominant player doesn't really mesh with a team that prefers to cycle the puck through the D both in the zone and in transition. He'd be a fantastic trigger-man on the PP but, again, that's a role we run through our D and aren't exactly shy of players in (Arvy, Forsberg, Fiala and soon Tolvanen are all players that could excel with that role). He's been pretty clear his interest is in enhancing his own legacy via a Cup--I know all players are "in it for themselves" to an extent, but that's a dynamic which concerns me a bit.

Sometimes I think you need that though, cycling the puck is nice and all but sometimes you need that guy that wants the puck on his stick and will make a move on a defender to get to the slot for a high % scoring chance. Forsberg or Fiala seem like they'd fit that role since they both have really good shots but perhaps Lavy's system prevents them from being that kind of player.

AutisticGoat

Mar 9, 2018
If Devils can trade him, what a con job by that organization and the league to circumvent the cap.
- I don't think this will happen.

Who wouldn't want Kovalchuk? Finances aside, he is a generational talent and one of the best pure goal-scorers of all time.

If he can fit / work, of course you go after him.

Kovalchuk is generationally bad team player with amazingly poor nerves. Besides that hes otherways good player

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
The market value would be insane...plus he hated Atlanta. People are going to like this but he would probably hate Nashville too.

Lol what ?? He never hated Atlanta, quit the opposite in fact. He didn’t re-sign because of ASG and knew the situation re the team.

It is well known that he loved his tenure in Atlanta and would probably love Nashville too

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Anyone saying "no" needs to read the question again. Every answer should be "depends on the contract." If he would sign for 1M for 1 year, yeah you sign him.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Anyone saying "no" needs to read the question again. Every answer should be "depends on the contract." If he would sign for 1M for 1 year, yeah you sign him.
If he is a cancer in the locker room nobody wants him even for free. The guy signed a massive contract and walked out right at the beginning of it to go to Russia. I say let him stay there. Do not want him back, he is another Radulov except probably even worse. The guy is known to be a bit of a ****

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Ryan Johansen was lazy. Poile ignored the noise
PK Subban is a cancer. Poile ignored the noise
Eeli Tolvanen has work ethic issues. Poile ignored the noise.

If the Poile thinks the fit is there, he will make an offer. Talent supercedes what a lot of writers and bloggers *think*

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I just assume Kovalchuk isn't coming back for a bargain scenario or just to win a Cup or anything like that. No real idea, but I assume he's looking for some a comfy ride and a pile of $$$. So I'm assuming he's probably not a real option here, but sure, if the bargain option is available you can't turn it down. Term matters a lot. Need to be able to walk away from a headache after 1 year if necessary. Short term, bargain deal? Ok, but... honestly 3 years and the most $$$ he can get is what I'm assuming he looks for. Lots of assumptions. Need to get some real inputs from him before we can really get invested in this idea either way.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
SKA (aka "Putin's team") just got eliminated in game 6 of the western conference finals by CSKA, so let the speculation begin on where Kovy will end up.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
SKA (aka "Putin's team") just got eliminated in game 6 of the western conference finals by CSKA, so let the speculation begin on where Kovy will end up.

He can't play over here until next year so I'll just worry about the playoffs first

Sorry, didn't mean that to sound snippy... just wanted to clarify that he can't be signed by a playoff team and play this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->