Would you want Kovalchuk?

Kovalchuk in Nashville?

• Total voters

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
So former Atlanta Thrasher and New Jersey Devil Ilya Kovalchuk has expressed a desire to come back to the NHL so he can try and win a Stanley Cup. Kovalchuk told Russian media that he would be back in the NHL next season. My question is, if you were GM of the Preds and Kovalchuk was available would you go after him?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Not really going to have a spot for him assuming Tolvanen sticks.

I mean, if he'd sign for 1 year at some ridiculous low money he' be nice injury insurance, but at market value, pass

Reactions: SouthNash

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
The only way I'd take him is, as others have said, if he comes with a one year deal at a low price. If he truly wants a chance at the Cup he will sign with a team that has a solid shot at a reduced rate to help the team stay competitive.

But I don't see it being a good fit. If it's low-risk/high-reward it's worth finding out. Otherwise, just assume he can't keep up and we already have what we need.

Reactions: FierceFalcon

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The market value would be insane...plus he hated Atlanta. People are going to like this but he would probably hate Nashville too.
He hates everywhere he can't win the cup.
He's been on record to be on the hunt for the cup when he comes back next season.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Saying yes because I don't think the contract has enough time to become a problem if it's within a 3-year span, even if it's a costly one. We can just oust Bonino if we don't have the need for him and we would gain Kovy.

But in reality, it's a combination of cap management, his interests, our interests, the cost and term of the deal all coming together for him to ever come here. So it's unlikely. But the biggest deal for me is the
potential term he's after since he's 35 at seasons start.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Then why wouldn't anyone just retire to get out of a contract.

I think the Devils still own his rights.

No they don't. I'm guessing it has to do with the devils not getting hit with his cap all these years he's been gone, but everywhere I have read and heard about Kovy says he is UFA.

Raduturd was different because he didn' retire he just left

Reactions: Enoch

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If Devils can trade him, what a con job by that organization and the league to circumvent the cap.
- I don't think this will happen.

Who wouldn't want Kovalchuk? Finances aside, he is a generational talent and one of the best pure goal-scorers of all time.

If he can fit / work, of course you go after him.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
If Devils can trade him, what a con job by that organization and the league to circumvent the cap.

Who wouldn't want Kovalchuk? Finances aside, he is a generational talent and one of the best pure goal-scorers of all time.

So which wing do you bump if we sign him? I'm not convinced at his age that he is still a generational talent. I wouldn't breakup JOFA or the FiST lines for him, and if Tolvanen is the real deal then we already have a glut of top 6 wings without adding him

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
The Devils have no rights over Kovy since he is now over 35. Last year the Devils still held his rights and Shero was under some pressure to do a deal to get Kovy to his desired destination before he lost those rights but he ultimately stuck to his guns when no one bit on his asking price.

I wouldn't bother with Kovy. Not sure he will fit that well on team with the depth of the Preds. I also think he has said he specifically wants to go to NYR, although that flys in the face of wanting to win a cup at the moment.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
OK, I'm busy packing up to back to college and this question pops up.

Would Kovy want the Preds? Let's say the Preds win the cup. *Hand go up, people run around rooms, people jump into wheelbarrows and ride down Broadway* Preds win the cup and Fisher and Hartnell ride into the sunset. Emelin goes and creates a roster space. That's 3 spots. He' s a LW. Not what the Preds need. BUT he has played RW. Imagine if he could tolerate playing on the 3rd line? Kovy-Sissons-Jarnkrok. And Tolvanen...not on the Preds....I'm gonna say nope.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The Devils have no rights over Kovy since he is now over 35. Last year the Devils still held his rights and Shero was under some pressure to do a deal to get Kovy to his desired destination before he lost those rights but he ultimately stuck to his guns when no one bit on his asking price.

I wouldn't bother with Kovy. Not sure he will fit that well on team with the depth of the Preds. I also think he has said he specifically wants to go to NYR, although that flys in the face of wanting to win a cup at the moment.
I can't understand why Shero didn't move him. A 7th would have been better than nothing, right?

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
I can't understand why Shero didn't move him. A 7th would have been better than nothing, right?

In a vacuum, yes it makes sense to get whatever you can get but the bigger picture is that Shero set a price and when it wasn't met, he didn't let someone call his bluff over a mid or late round pick. That probably helps when you tell another GM "the only way I give you Adam Larsson is if it's Taylor Hall coming back." Same when a GM sets a line in contract negotiations (See Yzerman on the Stamkos deal). IMO Poile, Shero and Yzerman have all shown this quality in recent years.

On the other end of the spectrum you have guys like Chiarelli who by all accounts set a ridiculously high price on Patrick Maroon at the deadline and then was forced to give him away for a 3rd in the last 10 minutes before 3pm when no one was willing to pay his ask. No one takes that guy seriously anymore because you know he'll eventually bend (not just because of the Maroon trade obviously).

Edit: Also, I think Kovy basically said he wanted to play for NYR and only the NYR last summer. Why help a team that at the beginning of the season you thought you would be challenging for a playoff spot just to get a late pick?

Last edited:

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
In a vacuum, yes it makes sense to get whatever you can get but the bigger picture is that Shero set a price and when it wasn't met, he didn't let someone call his bluff over a mid or late round pick. That probably helps when you tell another GM "the only way I give you Adam Larsson is if it's Taylor Hall coming back." Same when a GM sets a line in contract negotiations (See Yzerman on the Stamkos deal). IMO Poile, Shero and Yzerman have all shown this quality in recent years.

On the other end of the Spectrum you have guys like Chiarelli who by all accounts set a ridiculously high price on Patrick Maroon at the deadline and then was forced to give him away for a 3rd in the last 10 minutes before 3pm when no one was willing to pay his ask. No one takes that guy seriously anymore because you know he'll eventually bend (not just because of the Maroon trade obviously).

Edit: Also, I think Kovy basically said he wanted to play for NYR and only the NYR last summer. Why help a team that at the beginning of the season you thought you would be challenging for a playoff spot just to get a late pick?

Thanks that does make sense

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Then why wouldn't anyone just retire to get out of a contract.

I think the Devils still own his rights.

You would need to dig into the CBA, but my guess is that it has something to do with the fact that he isn't actually under contract. His contract was terminated by the Devils and they paid his recapture already. My guess is if he was still under contract then that rule is negated to keep what you stated from happening.

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA

I wince every time someone says “generational talent” on these boards. But you’re right. It’s like asking if any team in the league would want a Patrick Laine. Elite talent isn’t easily bought or developed.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
If Fisher had not come back, I would say yes. With Fish back and maybe Tolvanen joining for the playoffs, I say no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->