Would you trade your teams roster for the VGK roster?

Would you trade your teams roster for the VGK roster

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
They've been great all season, and they are cruising through the playoffs without much difficulty at all and now off to the SCF. So putting aside any personal attachment to individual players on your team and just focusing on wanting your team to succeed and assuming VGK resigns relevant players, going into next season, would you trade your teams roster for the VGK roster?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I said last summer that Vegas sucked. I said a month into the season that they would fall back in the standings. I said going into the playoffs that they didn't have a chance. I'm going to continue to ride my embarrassing stance on this team and say that this season was a fluke and they will not be anything more than a fringe wildcard team at best next season. For that reason, I voted "No".

Reactions: 99664987

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Nope, even though our better forwards are aging Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler. We have way too many young defensemen and young goaltender plus Rakell, Silf, Kase, etc.

rabbitca

Dec 18, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I know everyone will shit on me for this but I feel like they're catching lightning in a bottle right now and there are no guarantees next year.

Reactions: PuckG

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I said last summer that Vegas sucked. I said a month into the season that they would fall back in the standings. I said going into the playoffs that they didn't have a chance. I'm going to continue to ride my embarrassing stance on this team and say that this season was a fluke and they will not be anything more than a fringe wildcard team at best next season. For that reason, I voted "No".

For the love of science, I kept waiting for the part of this post where you finally admitted you were wrong. But instead you keep doubling down lol.

What they are doing is not an accident.

This is the fundamental misunderstanding of the game from the media and the fans. We all credit elite individuals for championships despite there being a thousand rock solid examples where this was completely discredited (such as peak Lemieux missing the playoffs back when 16 out of 21 teams made it in).

Team depth and system > Superstar players

Reactions: jetsforever

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
For the love of science, I kept waiting for the part of this post where you finally admitted you were wrong. But instead you keep doubling down lol.

What they are doing is not an accident.
Relax, I was being a little sarcastic. I didn't get a chance to watch much of Vegas in the regular season but seeing them in the playoffs, they definitely belong.

This is the fundamental misunderstanding of the game from the media and the fans. We all credit elite individuals for championships despite there being a thousand rock solid examples where this was completely discredited (such as peak Lemieux missing the playoffs back when 16 out of 21 teams made it in).

Team depth and system > Superstar players
This part I just disagree with. If you look at the top 5 scorers every season along with the the Hart, Norris, and Vezina finalists you'll see that the vast majority are on playoff teams so Lemieux and McDavid this season are the exception, not the norm. The league leading scorer not making the playoffs has happened, what, twice in the last 30 some years? Yes, depth wins championships because when you get deep into the playoffs everyone has top end talent. But to say system and depth wins over superstars just isn't true. There's a reason why the Pens and Blackhawks went from missing the playoffs 4-5 years in a row to becoming perennial contenders almost instantly after Crosby/Malkin and Toews/Kane/Keith joined their teams.

It's not like we see teams winning the cup every year without a superstar. When was the last time a team won a Cup without a superstar and just relied on depth? Maybe you can make a case for the 2012 Kings team. Kopitar and Doughty probably weren't full blown superstars yet though that was when Quick was at his peak. The Bruins in 2011 maybe have a case too. Bergeron wasn't a superstar yet but Chara and Thomas were both at their peak. I'll give you both of those because although they had some starts, particularly between the pipes, they really won because of their depth. I can't think of any team in recent memory that has won a Cup without a bonafide superstar. If I'm wrong, I'm sure you'll correct me lol.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I know everyone will **** on me for this but I feel like they're catching lightning in a bottle right now and there are no guarantees next year.

No one cares if they faulter next year if they win the cup this year, a cup buys a ton of good grace.

They could fail for the next half decide if they win this year and still spit in the faces of teams who haven't won for over 20 years. I'd be all for that.

Reactions: Howboutthempanthers

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not what I’ve read, Ive seen many times the draft was built to deliver a much better team then traditional expansion draft teams......which it did.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not what I’ve read, Ive seen many times the draft was built to deliver a much better team then traditional expansion draft teams......which it did.

The draft was meant to fast track them to a competitive team in less years, they weren't handed a contender, that's on their and Gallants merit alone.

Unless you think by these same rules every expansion team is going to be icing a cup finalist.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The draft was meant to fast track them to a competitive team in less years, they weren't handed a contender, that's on their and Gallants merit alone.

This is what I stated.....the draft gave a much better team then a traditional draft has in the past.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Legitimately good regular season team with cap space, some good prospects, and no killer contracts, even if they got very hot goaltending at the right time in the playoffs.

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->