• No

• Under right circumstances

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There isn't a team in the league that will touch this guy with a ten foot poll. Who in their right mind would bring this mess into their room? His career is over imho, unless completely exonerated or he dumps her.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Definitely a no. Ottawa player for starters. Crazy situation with the cell phones that is always bad. Karlsson connection and that cellular connection that might continue to be bad with the other wife. Can score but not the bestest player defensively. A real liability with the whole cellular thang and making threads and all that's been written on media. That's rare and we don't needs that. Our humans behave better and it's good for the team and thangs.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I was a big advocate of trading for him to replace JVR's production. I think he's a fantastic player. Skates like the wind and has a fantastic shot. As it stands right now the Leafs shouldn't go near him. If it comes out that his girlfriend was behind all of this garbage and he dumps her, then I think he'll have an NHL future and the Leafs should be all over him.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
No. We are not desperate enough for scoring to risk chemistry in the locker room .

No

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Personally, I think his girlfriend/significant other is suffering from a mental illness, that he's probably tried to help her with. I've posted elsewhere, that I've dealt with similar things in the past, and some similar behaviour, though nowhere near that bad. I can tell you, what that person did in my life, wasn't a reflection on who I am as a person, or where my life is now... but having said that it's on him to move forward without her. If he stands by her, he's tacitly giving approval to her behaviour.

If he dumps her, and has some counselling, so that he doesn't repeat the same mistakes withe next one... he's a good hockey player....

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
NHL GM: "Did he dump the GF?

Agent: "Yes. Kicked her to the curb."

GM: "Karlsson still hasn't ruled us out yet. We're gonna do a wait and see.. "

connormcmuffin

Feb 17, 2018
Unpopular opinion but Karlsson seems to manufacturing drama to leave Ottawa, he made a bit of a spectacle of his person tragedy this year. The reality is that he knew there would be trolls when he put that out. He could have just taken personal time and it be swept under the rug.

As for Hoffman, would love him as a Leaf if the price was right.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Unpopular opinion but Karlsson seems to manufacturing drama to leave Ottawa, he made a bit of a spectacle of his person tragedy this year. The reality is that he knew there would be trolls when he put that out. He could have just taken personal time and it be swept under the rug.

His kid died FFS. How exactly do you sweep that under the rug especially when you're that high profile? Is he supposed to hide the fact that he went through a horrible tragedy? Your line of thinking comes off as someone who may have empathetic deficit disorder.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008

Unpopular opinion is an understatement. Their pregnancy was very public, so when Karlsson takes his "personal leave", comes back and plays poorly, and no child arrives- The investigative journalists and other media parasites are going to start asking some pretty inappropriate questions.
Making an announcement to avoid this isn't a spectacle, its necessary, so that you can ask for the privacy that should be given out of human decency but is not when you're a "celebrity".

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Even if he dumped his girl, his production vs salary isn't a steal by any means.
Besides, the Leafs have internal ELC options for their wings so unless he is basically being given away, it doesn't make much sense for Toronto.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He's a less good JVR with attitude issues and whatever else is going on with this current situation.

If I see a 613 area code pop up on my call display, I don't answer.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
100% under the right circumstances, any Team would.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Nope, if his fiancee was involved, you won't convince me he wasn't as well, or at least shared her opinions of that team mate. Hard pass

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I think most of the negative comments here are not really reading the situation properly. Either Melinda or Monika have mental health issues. Or there is a third party joker. If Monika really did it, she doesn't need to be burnt at the stake, she needs professional help. Shit, she may not even know, or have dissociative identity disorder.

Reactions: Fogelhund

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I would absolutely 100% trade for Hoffman at this time. All the hoopla surrounding him was caused by his girlfriend and not him. Guy is a fantastic hockey player and would add an element that this team DESPERATELY needs: a good, hard clap titty bomb. I'm 100% on board with trading for Hoffman, especially with his value so low. You never say no to pure, real talent. Also keep in mind that LW is our weakest position on the organizational depth chart. Just my $0.02

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
There isn't a team in the league that will touch this guy with a ten foot poll. Who in their right mind would bring this mess into their room? His career is over imho, unless completely exonerated or he dumps her.

Its for these very reasons listed within this post that I would acquire him for well under market value. When the oversensitive hockey world overreacts and draws to a consensus; an intelligent, free thinking GM identifies an opportunity to take advantage of a market inefficiency, and executes.

As always, when the hockey hive mind thinks one thing, go the opposite way.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I think the answer at this point, is that it depends, but most likely leaning towards no.
It depends on whether the Leafs’ dressing room – players, coaches and trainers – would accept him.
Right now, they probably all have differing opinions on him, much like we see from all of us in this thread, based on what’s come out in the media. Some of us probably think it was all his fiancée’s doing (which I have an opinion on, because I know people who know the both of them, but I’ll leave it to myself). Some think he’s just as guilty as she is. I’m sure the Leafs’ players, coaches and trainers all have their differing perspectives as well.
And the last thing you want is to bring him while his character is still in question.
However, if somehow it does turn out that he had nothing to do with it (and I’m not sure how that could be proven beyond a reasonable doubt), then his trade value goes back up, and it probably makes no sense to pay the price to acquire him, or maybe the Sens just keep him and everyone moves on.

Trading for Mike Hoffman right now means you are gambling on his innocence, and that either his fiancée is also innocent, or he completely separates himself from her asap. As talented as he is, I’m not sure if that’s a gamble I’d be willing to take, especially with a young Leafs’ core who already seem to have a strong bond, which ultimately goes a very, very long way in this sport.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
As in all things, we'll defer to those closest to the situation. Dubas' analysis of the situation would certainly look to build upon the success achieved (on and off the ice) between the Leafs and the Marlies and add only those assets that would fit in kind. Meaning, if there was a hint of asymmetry between Hoffman and Toronto, I'm confident our management would sniff out the smallest trace of the same element it effectively sought to rid the Maple Leafs culture of in 2015 (and ongoing).

Given the nature of a peace bond (vs a restraining order) and the necessity of demonstration of fear in order for the protective order to be issued, IF the allegations prove true, then no matter what corrective action Hoffman takes, I wouldn't want that kind of judgement in the room. There's no chance that IF the allegations are true, that something about his longtime girlfriend's nature should have been apparent to him. And if it wasn't apparent to him, it demonstrates a necessary ability for discernment that's absent and that should be nowhere near our program and near our players and staff. As callous as this may sound, I don't want even the residue of something so disruptive near our team.

Take Slava Voynov. Positionally, he fits the definition of what our club needs a little more than Hoffman does. As a fan, I don't want Voynov near our club. Dues paid? So what. He'll come cheaper! Don't care. It's a privlege to be a player in the NHL. If in and of itself that isn't enough to warrant wholesale change of a person's thinking and behavior then the annual lottery paychecks should buy tenure-long sacrifice of selfish and self-destructive behavior. In Mike Hoffman's association with his girlfriend and in the "legacy" he's left in Ottawa, I don't see the energy necessary to weigh his entire situation as the kind of focus this club ever needs to focus on in acquiring assets.

We're building from within in a big way. We're two years into three major, very young, superstars in the making leading us with stars supplementing them and time, lots of time, to sign or acquire through trade or mine our own skilled, sniping winger, free from criminally-minded and dangerous thinking influences.

If I could have five minutes to speak to the Maple Leafs management I would strongly urge them not to consider even consider signing Mike Hoffman for the reasons listed above.

Best of luck to Mike Hoffman in all things. Just not in Toronto.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Short answer: no. It might be advantageous under the right circumstances, but Hoffman would bring too much off ice baggage with him, and in a media hotbed like Toronto, that's just asking for trouble.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Its for these very reasons listed within this post that I would acquire him for well under market value. When the oversensitive hockey world overreacts and draws to a consensus; an intelligent, free thinking GM identifies an opportunity to take advantage of a market inefficiency, and executes.

As always, when the hockey hive mind thinks one thing, go the opposite way.
Very unique situation, so I don’t think “as always” applies. I do like the hive analogy though because that’s how hockey teams work and that’s exactly why nobody will touch them. Not with that lady on his arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad