Would You Take Hoffman For Free?

Would You Take Hoffman For Free?

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Cap number $5.1875M each of the next 2 years, cash payout $5.65M. Do not want.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Hell no. Teams spend decades trying to work on locker room chemistry, and no player is worth ruining that. If you're going to win, win with class.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
And if she's innocent it says a lot more about him then most people around here.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
If he helps to win hockey games, yes. Now that this has become public well I somehow doubt that his GF is going to start another drama as bad as this one.

Reactions: Gains

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Hell no. Teams spend decades trying to work on locker room chemistry, and no player is worth ruining that. If you're going to win, win with class.

Any team trying to find locker room chemestry for a decade or more should heavily consider new ownership and management. That sort of thing doesn't take that long to establish, not even close.

Anyway, I'd say absolutely yes that I'd take him for free. He's a free 60 point player...

Obviously it's not going to work for him in Ottawa as the situation there is beyond repair, and the situation is obviously a big story across the hockey world. But eventually this is going to die down and people will forget about it. If something more egregious comes out (like he involved or something worse is revealed), then there may be something more to talk about, but as of right now that isn't the case.

I always find the "locker room cancer" or "off ice distraction" to be one of the most overused and misunderstood ideas on this board. Shouldn't the Blackhawks have had serious issues on the ice and in the locker room with what Patrick Kane has gone through over the course of his career?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'd talk to my players and coaches first just to get a read on their attitudes. But yeah probably.

Then again, teams should probably be talking to their players and coaches about the Hoffman/Karlsson situation anyways and going through guidelines about how these things will be handled or resolved within the organization.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This would need to go into a further investigation. If his girlfriend stays away from the players' wives. After the first year, I would consider letting her go near the wives if she is supervised at all times.

She'd be allowed to attend games (except the team in which Karlsson would be playing for or in the presence of Karlsson's wife), but in a designated zone where she could be watched carefully by security, if she breaks the first warning she has to watch the remainder of the games from home and would be suspended from the home arena until further notice and won't be allowed on road games of Mike Hoffman's respective team or where Erik Karlsson's respective team would be.

As for Hoffman, if proven innocent or not, I'd need to sit down with him and have this talk. I'd also have him sign a contract as to which he'd have to forfeit salary, be suspended without pay, or have the contract be terminated.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Of course. Situation will die down. As long as he's productive. Kane had this happen and no one remembers it anymore. Same HF. Multiple 40 page threads saying how Kane has no value anymore and he'll not play again.

The Kane situation is nothing like this. Kane had a bad attitude and rubbed his teammates up the wrong way, Hoffman’s fiancé has allegedly wished Karlssons career to end, his wife dead and their unborn baby dead. If that’s true (and it looks likely that it is) and Hoffman is sticking by her that’s on a completely different level to anything Kane has done.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Apparently he already refused to come to Winnipeg this year, so **** him.
So what? Most people don’t wanna go to Winnipeg. If you’ve travelled even a little bit you’d know why. Don’t take it personally.

Re; OP - Yeah, absolutely... but I’d ban his girlfriend from being involved in any team functions or in any team facilities including the CT centre. I’d also have all players and anyone associated block all her social media accounts.

Hoffman is a good player but there’s no room for a toxic female like that. Unfortunately, it’ll probably cost him a lot of money by the time he finally wakes up and sees it... he certainly isn’t the first to be intoxicated by the kitty.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
The question is:

Would you sign UFA Hoffman to a 2 year deal with a 5.187500 dollar AAV?

And my answer is: With his drama and locker room cancer, I wouldn't bother.

If the question is whether I'd take him with 0 cap hit, that might be a different story. But taking a 5.2mil cap hit isn't "free".

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So what? Most people don’t wanna go to Winnipeg. If you’ve travelled even a little bit you’d know why. Don’t take it personally.

Re; OP - Yeah, absolutely... but I’d ban his girlfriend from being involved in any team functions or in any team facilities including the CT centre. I’d also have all players and anyone associated block all her social media accounts.

Hoffman is a good player but there’s no room for a toxic female like that. Unfortunately, it’ll probably cost him a lot of money by the time he finally wakes up and sees it... he certainly isn’t the first to be intoxicated by the kitty.
I'm not a Winnipegger. I'm just stating how I feel about his decision to refuse a trade there.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I'm not a Winnipegger. I'm just stating how I feel about his decision to refuse a trade there.
So you’re mad he exercised his contractual right?

Again, you shouldn’t take it so personally. Whether you’re from Winnipeg, or just cheer for the Jets, he didn’t decline because of you.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So you’re mad he exercised his contractual right?

Again, you shouldn’t take it so personally. Whether you’re from Winnipeg, or just cheer for the Jets, he didn’t decline because of you.
It was his choice, and he made it clear that he did not want to come. I don't know what's the hard part to understand here: he doesn't want to be in Winnipeg, so why would I want him to be with the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->