Speculation: Would you take Evander Kane on your team?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
I'm curious what the responses will be regarding this polarizing player. He has a documented history of getting on the wrong side of the law, and he is perhaps not the best locker room presence in the NHL, to put it mildly. However, he is producing at a first line rate, he is relatively young at 25, and his contract is decent (two years, 5.25 million). His style of play is impactful, and on the ice, he has no apparent issues whatsoever. Would you take the risk of trying to obtain someone with a history like Kane's?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm curious what the responses will be regarding this polarizing player. He has a documented history of getting on the wrong side of the law, and he is perhaps not the best locker room presence in the NHL, to put it mildly. However, he is producing at a first line rate, he is relatively young at 25, and his contract is decent (two years, 5.25 million). His style of play is impactful, and on the ice, he has no apparent issues whatsoever. Would you take the risk of trying to obtain someone with a history like Kane's?

I wouldn't have a problem personally. I just think if McPhee emails the expansion draft list to Daly with Kane being selected that the league will make sure that was absolutely the person the Golden Knights would like to select. Perhaps send an email and make a few phone calls to confirm.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I would take Kane personally. I think he is slowly maturing.

With that said, I wouldn't be upset with someone like Ennis. He produces about the same and doesn't have the off ice issues. He doesn't add as much outside of points as Kane, but he's a safer bet.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's not like he's going to get exposed, anyways.

Though I do wonder if LV will take one of Moulson or Ennis.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
He's not going to be exposed....What's the point of this thread?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
A few of the local podcasts and websites have brought it up, I'm guessing that's why it's being mentioned here.

BDG123

Dec 2, 2013
Vancouver
I would take him, but you have to wonder if Vegas is the best environment for a guy like Evander (might distract him from hockey a little/LOT)

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I would take him, but you have to wonder if Vegas is the best environment for a guy like Evander (might distract him from hockey a little/LOT)

I don't think Vegas being Vegas would have much impact one way or the other with Kane, or anyone else for that matter. I think the idea that a player with a little baggage being the first player getting in trouble here (and there will be players getting in trouble here, like anywhere else) would be a much bigger story than someone else.

I also think there's a portion of the hockey media that will be looking toward the Vegas angle for a negative story and E. Kane likely gives them that without anything actually happening. This whole thread is likely a consequence of that discussion already happening in a hypothetical scenario on a few podcasts and articles.

Robert604strom

May 31, 2010
Victoria
Why wouldnt Vegas take him if the chance is there. Most teams are scared off of him, Vegas needs as much skill players as they can get because of the rules they wont get toomuch players near his level. And Keep in mind most of his b.s is his personality that will fit in really good with that culture down there.(not saying people from vegas or nevada or bad people but hes flashy and its known to be flashy down there)

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Rhetorically, if it was between him and another player of equal skill and output I'd choose the other guy every time. Artistic genius is often accompanied by some disturbed behaviour. So, you make allowances.

I still wouldn't want him. I think he is a net negative.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It depends on who else Buffalo will have exposed. He'll have on more year left before someone has to commit big term and money to him. If the Sabres expose him, that'll be two organizations that have soured on him. Which given his talent level would be a huge red flag.

If Vegas is attempting to put together the best possible team out of the gate, he'd be a great pickup on the ice, even as a 1 year rental that the Knights could possibly trade at the deadline if they are out of the playoff race. But if they are taking a guy who has had issues with two past teams despite being a very good player, they should be sure they have a solid veteran leadership core in place.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
"Hello Vegas...I'm in"

r-EVANDER-KANE-large570.jpg

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I think people are exaggerating Vegas's effect on a millionaire.

If you are young and have more money than you know what to do with, you could get in a lot of trouble in Minot North Dakota ffs.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think people are exaggerating Vegas's effect on a millionaire.

If you are young and have more money than you know what to do with, you could get in a lot of trouble in Minot North Dakota ffs.

I agree. Kane would probably be our most talented forward by a mile, so if we wanted to build the best team we can we pick him over anybody else Buffalo would expose. If he does something stupid, that's all on him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad