OT: Would you stay or would you go?

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
If I'm top level UFA I'm going to get paid, the KHL couldn't possibly offer enough cash to make make up for the travel and lifestyle deficiencies to a North American. A shorter term in the NHL to wait for cap room to open up a preferred destination would be a possible stop gap solution.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
Let's be real here, you'd be offered significantly more to leave. I'm saying if you were offered 8M here, you'd be offered 11M there. And if that's the case, it's an easy go.

11 mil over lets say 10 years vs 8 mil over 10 years is a difference of 30 million. You'd have to be insane to turn down 30 million.

There's more ways to win a stanley cup than as a player. Getting a chance to play in Russia, learn a new language and experience a new culture while getting paid more than I would at home is an easy yes.

I'm pretty sure I have enough financial savvy to invest and live comfortably off of $80m. I would only be insane to turn down $30m if I somehow thought I couldn't -- in which case the extra $30m probably isn't getting you much further, unless you're staying in an international locale with a low cost of living once your career is done.

BIitz

GRANT = SOFT
Oct 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure I have enough financial savvy to invest and live comfortably off of $80m. I would only be insane to turn down $30m if I somehow thought I couldn't -- in which case the extra $30m probably isn't getting you much further, unless you're staying in an international locale with a low cost of living once your career is done.

It's not just about you living comfortably. That extra 30 million will help your family for generations. I'm sorry but most people work there whole lives and don't make anything close to 30 million.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Growing up a kid playing hockey in Canada, you're dreaming of winning the Stanley Cup not the Gagarin Cup. Going through the minor leagues and having your family and friends cheering for you when you make the NHL and having fans coming out and supporting you in every city is probably pretty crazy. For example, guys like Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf is rockstars in Toronto. Playing for the biggest hockey market in the country that is the home of hockey is special.

Plus, Russia is scary.

Espher

Nov 22, 2008
Fredericton, N.B.
It's not just about you living comfortably. That extra 30 million will help your family for generations. I'm sorry but most people work there whole lives and don't make anything close to 30 million.

If I'm making $80m, the addition of another $30m (taking it to $110m) isn't exactly going to change long-term fortunes like gangbusters. Either I'm investing well enough to be making a considerable return in perpetuity, or I'm not. Given that I'm not one who is apt to spend foolishly or live extravagantly just because I can afford to, I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue.

Edit: To elaborate, if we assume I spent $30m of my $80m on hookers and blow over the ten years in question, and I could find a way to invest the $50m with a return of 6%, and I assume there's a 3% inflation rate, I would still safely be able to withdraw the equivalent value of $1.4m/y (in the year I invest it) in perpetuity. With an extra $30m in the bank, I could jump that up to the equivalent of $2.3m/y. Yeah, that's a big jump, but I'll be honest -- if members of my family couldn't live off of their share of the present day equivalent of $1.4m as a supplement to their income, I wouldn't want them to have the money to begin with.

Last edited:

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I think it depends on which KHL team, how much more money, and your NHL options.

If a team like SKA Saint Petersburg is willing to double your salary on a bottom feeding NHL team, you might consider it.

There's a considerable difference in quality of life between KHL teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad