Would you rather win Bronze or lose Gold?

Would you rather win Bronze or lose gold

• Win Bronze

• Lose Gold

Results are only viewable after voting.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Dumb answer. It’s not the same because the point of the question is is it better to lose in the final round and go out on a low note or win the best of 2nds final round and go out on a high note.

Most teams the Bronze means nothing. They are just there going through the motions. Gimmi a shot at the gold every time.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
Bronze.

Consider the reactions Finland had to their victories in 1998, 2010, and 2014 compared to their defeat in 2006.

Playing for Gold instead of being eliminated from Gold medal contention in the Semifinals is always ideal, but in this hypothetical, you're not really playing for Gold; you're guaranteed to lose it. But without the cushion of being able to celebrate with your teammates after a game and scream your national anthem at the top of your lungs.

Even in non-consolation game scenarios, Bronze is relief, and Silver is agony. I still remember the name of the person who beat me for Gold in my 3rd and 5th Grade math competitions, and that was a lifetime ago. Silver medals are the worst. Silver medals are the devil.

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
I mean if you ask five minutes after the game it's bronze. Ask 5 weeks later and it's the silver

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Better to have played for gold and lost than never to have played for gold at all.

An alternative view though. Last year on NHL radio Patrick O'Sullivan said that he and his teammates on the American WJC team in 2005 were happier to have had a chance to play for and win the bronze medal than they would have been going into the finals and receiving the inevitable pounding that awaited. I was surprised to hear him say it, but he did.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I would rather know that I have proven myself good enough to compete for Gold rather than simply feel good about winning a lesser prize.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You didn’t win bronze. You lost silver, just as much as you didn’t win silver, you lost gold.

In the semis you lost the silver or won it.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I think it depends on expectations. If I were expected to finish last and I end up winning bronze I'd be pretty happy. If I were expected to win gold and I don't even make it to the final, I'd be disappointed.

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
Weird question as you don't lose gold, you lose silver and win gold.

That said lose silver as it is the final, happened what happened.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I'm guessing a lot of people here never finished 2nd at something . It sucks....... a lot.

a few years ago I heard of a research that was made about the level of happiness for people who finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. It turns out those who finish 3rd find more happiness and...and....oh i'm gonna say the outrageous word here........ AINEC!

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don't get people. I'd much rather be 2nd best than 3rd best. Who cares what you feel like after each game. Looking back that silver will look more enticing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I would rather get silver and bitch about how the game was stolen from us by the refs or it was a random lucky win by the other team. A fluke. We're the real gold medalists.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
After the first week I would want to win a bronze instead of losing in the gold medal game. However long term I'd rather want to say I finished second and won silver than finished third and won bronze.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
At the end of the day when you look back at the placings, Silver is obviously better. However in the moment that game is over, which team is left disappointed? That's the premise here.

that's not how i read the premise.

this is a silly question, losing the gold medal game and getting silver is obviously better then getting bronze.

the premise is would you rather come in 2nd or 3rd, there is nothing in the OP to indicate anything about the elation of winning versus the frustration of losing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad