Would you rather win Bronze or lose Gold?

Would you rather win Bronze or lose gold

• Win Bronze

• Lose Gold

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Where's the logic? The teams that can win the bronze already lost gold (chances) the game before so...
Do you want bronze or silver medal?
Silver for me

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Dumb answer. It’s not the same because the point of the question is is it better to lose in the final round and go out on a low note or win the best of 2nds final round and go out on a high note.

It would be like if there was a Stanley Cup B finals for the teams that lose the conference finals, would you rather win that or lose in the SCF.
The ones that think this is a dumb question are the ones that prefer lose gold, the ones that think that was a dumb answer prefer winning bronze, no absolutes here

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
In the immediate aftermath, the bronze would feel much, much better. In the longterm, silver would be more satisfying. It'd take a while to get over losing in a gold medal game, though.

Any bronze winner would wish they had a chance at silver. Once you're eliminated before the finals anything else is consolation.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Any bronze winner would wish they had a chance at silver. Once you're eliminated before the finals anything else is consolation.

Actually, in the immediate aftermath of the Olympics, bronze medalists are usually happier than silver medalists.

Why bronze medalists are happier than silver medalists, and other things the Olympics teaches us about human emotions

Why Bronze Medalists Are Happier Than Silver Winners

The reason is simple, as they have different outlooks. Many bronze medalists are thankful that they were able to medal as they almost didn't finish in the top three, while many silver medalists look at what they did as falling just short. And that's also the case for tournament competitions that have bronze medal games, as ultimately the bronze medalists finish with a win while silver medalists finish with a loss.

No one would deny that a silver medal is more notable than a bronze, but in the immediate aftermath of the medal presentation or the competition itself, the trend for 3rd place finishers to be happier than 2nd place finishers is pretty well-documented.

Reactions: Semyon Says

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Actually, in the immediate aftermath of the Olympics, bronze medalists are usually happier than silver medalists.

The reason is simple, as they have different outlooks. Many bronze medalists are thankful that they were able to medal as they almost didn't finish in the top three, while many silver medalists look at what they did as falling just short. And that's also the case for tournament competitions that have bronze medal games, as ultimately the bronze medalists finish with a win while silver medalists finish with a loss.

No one would deny that a silver medal is more notable than a bronze, but in the immediate aftermath of the medal presentation or the competition itself, the trend for 3rd place finishers to be happier than 2nd place finishers is pretty well-documented.

I don't doubt that they're happier in the short run considering they've already had to move past losing and focus on medal placement, in major competitions lots of people will "settle" for bronze because it's a second chance to make the podium. I guess it's not the same in a "tournament" environment where winner takes all like the Stanley Cup, the losing teams from each conference could play for 3rd but it wouldn't really matter.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
Simple question, standard tournament format.
Would you rather win the bronze medal game or lose the gold medal game
obviously losing gold means you got a silver.

*disclaimer I am aware that 2nd is better than 3rd but winning bronze finishes on a high vs finishing on a low*
Dumb question, tell me, is silver higher or bronze?

FlamesFan18

Frank the Tank
Feb 26, 2010
Calgary
Lose gold all day. The hype going into gold games with my teammates was waaaay more exciting than quietly lacing up for the bronze wishing we were in the gold game.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Why bronze medalists are happier than silver medalists, and other things the Olympics teaches us about human emotions

Why Bronze Medalists Are Happier Than Silver Winners

It'd be interesting to see if the same trends hold across team sports as compared to individuals. It's a lot less personal if you're only on the ice for a certain portion of the event.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Welp I guess we're learning a lot about this one tonight

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Would rather make the Final than not make the Final. Easy question.

This. I'd much rather have gone all the way and lost with a chance to win than to play one more stupid game for a chance to not win (and be disappointed even more if 4th).

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Voted silver but honestly hate the way that this concept works. IMO, It should be that when you have the final 4 of any tournament, the two winning teams play for gold. The two losers then play for a chance to compete for silver against the loser of the gold medal game. Of the two teams that play for silver, obviously, the winner gets silver and the loser gets bronze. For example, in the most recent WJC, we would have had a game for silver with the US against Sweden.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Right after the tournament, win bronze because you feel like you ended with an accomplishment. Afterwards in hindsight, silver since it's 2nd place and you had a chance at gold.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Bronze would only be better if we were still in the Bronze Age because then the GM could collect the medals and make a frying pan to his wife out of them.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
This is a dumb question. Would you rather make the Stanley Cup finals or lose before you get there?

Not the same. You can't end with a win after not making it to the finals.

I almost think it would be better winning the bronze then losing the gold.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I understand why this is a question. If we're taking logic out of the equation, winning the final game feels better than losing the final game. But if you win Bronze you already had your loss, it just came earlier. And it must be tough to get up for a bronze medal game, especially if you're a favorite. I would think it was a tougher game to get up for for the US than the Czech Republic. Not that it mattered in the end.

Reactions: McCullogh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->