Would you rather have a goalie with higher HDSv% or higher LD and MDSv%

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hypothetically if two goalies have identical GAA and Sv%, which goalie would you rather have? The goalie that has a higher "High Danger Save Percentage" or the goalie with the better low and medium danger one?

Generally speaking, if two goalies ahve identical GAA and Sv%, the one with higher HDSv% is more likely to make clutch saves under difficult situations and more likely to prevent dangerous goals. But the goalie with higher LDSv% and MDSv% is more likely to make sure your team doesn't have to come back from poor goals given up and not give up backbreaking goals that affect the team mentality.

The best example in 2016-2017 only would be if you would rather have Crawford (Who has one of the league's best HDSv%, but below average in both LDSv% and MDSv%) or Talbot (Who has fantastic LDSv% and MDSv%, making sure his team never has to worry about a deflating soft goal, but his HDSv% is good, but not on a top tier level). Both have very similar 5on5 and overall Sv%.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Higher LD and MD save % to me, not close.

HD goals happen and the players certainly understand they happen. The chances can be prevented with better defensive play.

Allowing softies just kills morale.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Kinda dependent on your overall team defensive play. If I'm managing a team that gives up very few high percentage shots, I'll obviously take the Talbot type. If my team is prone to defensive lapses and needs a goalie to bail them out regularly, I'd grab the Crawford type.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Kinda dependent on your overall team defensive play. If I'm managing a team that gives up very few high percentage shots, I'll obviously take the Talbot type. If my team is prone to defensive lapses and needs a goalie to bail them out regularly, I'd grab the Crawford type.

Well Oilers still gave up far more high danger chances per game than Chicago did, so overall Talbot just had a mighty impressive season. His LDSv% and MDSv% separated him apart from Crawford by huge amounts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->