Would you pick Kopitar....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
What? They pick 6th. So you are saying that JJ will fall to the #6 spot? What are you saying?

EDIT: Ok.... nevermind that makes sense now and for the record I hope the CBJ gets Kopitar. :p:

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
dru said:
What? They pick 6th. So you are saying that JJ will fall to the #6 spot? What are you saying?

EDIT: Ok.... nevermind that makes sense now and for the record I hope the CBJ gets Kopitar. :p:

Kopitar would fit so well between Zherdev and Nash ... humm I hope the habs pick him :)

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Zaitsev said:
Kopitar would fit so well between Zherdev and Nash ... humm I hope the habs pick him :)

Brule would look good between Nash and Zherdev too.

If it comes down to Brule or Kopitar, it's gonna be awfully tough seeing the one we pass up on tear it up in C-bus.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Coolburn said:
Why is he the most risk? Because he's Slovenian? I don't buy that personally...if you can play, doesn't matter where you're from. I bet there was a time when people thought the same thing about Czech-born players too. IMO, he seems like a safer pick than Ryan (questionable skating) and Pouliot (who I say is the biggest risk/reward player in the top group). I think Brule is safer than Kopitar but I still would rather take a chance on a kid at 6'3" and has his skillset. Many people are thinking he could be getting picked at #6 to the Jackets and comparing this draft to the Lindros draft (Forsberg went #6 overall).
This comes straight from the Central Scouting's profile on Kopitar:
So the only issue I see is strength...particularly leg strength. My guess is he'll need one more yr before he could be considered NHL-ready but would be better off with 2 yrs more of development time (1 more overseas & then 1 yr in the AHL) to build up the muscle he'll need to anchor a top line in the NHL.

Where did you find the central scouting descriptions?

I can't find them on centralscouting.com

dw2927

Feb 13, 2004
Paavola, Mich.
I agree with the fact that he cannot be judged by his nationality alone. To some extent that was the knock on Aebischer and even Borje Salming in the really old days

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
I am also sick of reading as a mean argument against kopitar: " he is from a country that never produced hockey players" .
the only thing that matters to me is where he plays. If he plays in sweden playing with swedish players and he outperforms them, then that is the measurement tool to use in this case and other cases.

To tell you the truth yesterday Kopitar was the guy I wanted. Now Ryan is slowly making it there for me. I am clueless. I am just gonna abstain from this.

I am lucky I am not BOB GAINEY

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
waseem said:
I am also sick of reading as a mean argument against kopitar: " he is from a country that never produced hockey players" .
the only thing that matters to me is where he plays. If he plays in sweden playing with swedish players and he outperforms them, then that is the measurement tool to use in this case and other cases.

To tell you the truth yesterday Kopitar was the guy I wanted. Now Ryan is slowly making it there for me. I am clueless. I am just gonna abstain from this.

I am lucky I am not BOB GAINEY
haha that's true but at 5th we're pretty good, there at least has to be 1 guy gone by the time we pick so that should help the decision.

And I don't think it matters where's Kopitar is born, Kolzig was born in Africa and Regehr in Brazil

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Prevail77 said:
haha that's true but at 5th we're pretty good, there at least has to be 1 guy gone by the time we pick so that should help the decision.

Maybe not...

Johnson will probably be second and Pouliot seems to be a sure fire top 4...Brule could easily be in the top four so Ryan and Kopitar might both be available at five...

CH Wizard

nomorekids said:
The only way Brule is better than Kopitar is if you're looking for safety. Kopitar easily has a much higher ceiling, and the Habs would be foolish to let him pass if they have the opportunity to draft him. This kid looks like a franchise center.

Agreed...but I want a safe pick, this year.After picking Kostitsyn...ouch.Either Brule or Ryan would be safer picks...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
As a CBJ fan, I'd prefer Brule, but I like Kopitar a lot.

Johnson is the guy the Jackets really need, but that ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
nomorekids said:
The only way Brule is better than Kopitar is if you're looking for safety. Kopitar easily has a much higher ceiling, and the Habs would be foolish to let him pass if they have the opportunity to draft him. This kid looks like a franchise center.

You're right. Kopiatr is 4 inches taller, he must have the higher ceiling...

EDIT: no punn intendid - sarcasm the true intent. :banana:

Last edited:

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
nomorekids said:
and more talented. don't forget that detail.

Oh really?

Quote from prospects magazine: (April edition)

"Brule looks to have stemmed his negative slide down the rankings, in part due to his splendid performance at the top prospects game. The Giants forwards offensive talents are impressive, better than any draft prospect not named Sidney Crosby."

CoolburnIsGone

jmelm said:
Where did you find the central scouting descriptions?

I can't find them on centralscouting.com
Some of the players have agent information at the very bottom of their profiles. Most don't but Kopitar had the above info when I clicked on his ranking #. Jack Skille, Marek Zagrapan, Niklas Bergfors, & Martin Hanzal are other players projected to go in the 1st round that have scouting info there.

turnbuckle*

I heard Brule's old man is pretty tall, so I suspect the Brules have a pretty high ceiling as well.

Seriously, this Kopitar kid would be tough to pass up at 5, but if I'm Gainey I like Ryan. Montreal's first legitamite power forward prospect (they traded Leclair before he became one) since Rocket Richard?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
turnbuckle said:
I heard Brule's old man is pretty tall, so I suspect the Brules have a pretty high ceiling as well.

Seriously, this Kopitar kid would be tough to pass up at 5, but if I'm Gainey I like Ryan. Montreal's first legitamite power forward prospect (they traded Leclair before he became one) since Rocket Richard?

I have a fear of powerforwards being drafted by Montreal.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
While I don't think Kopitar's nationality should be an issue, it is a valid concern in some cases, such as with Swiss players. How many of those guys have worked out? High skill-level, but generating from a non-traditional market created a dynamic that NHL general managers weren't ready for.

Good point, however I'm guessing those Swiss players were playing in the Swiss leagues were they not?

In the case of Kopitar, he has one solid season in a well known and scouted Swedish league. Which is probably a much better indicator I'm guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->