Would you pick Kopitar....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CH Wizard

before Brule/Ryan/Pouliot? I'd draft him before Pouliot, that's all.

Is Kopitar that special...if yes why?

He played in the wc's at 17 and was good despite playing for Slovenia.He produced with Sodertalje jr team but actually didn't for Sodertalje.He played there as a 17 years old...so youngsters don't usually receive icetime in a men's league.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He has the most risk but the highest reward IMO, but teams will go with the safer top player.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
FLYLine4LIFE said:
He hasn't the most risk but the highest reward IMO, but teams will go with the safer top player.

Agreed.

Personally I'd take him third. But, I doubt I'll get many people disagreeing with me here, anyone from 3-6 is pretty much interchangeable. It's even arguable 2-6.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
The Great One said:
before Brule/Ryan/Pouliot? I'd draft him before Pouliot, that's all.

Is Kopitar that special...if yes why?

He played in the wc's at 17 and was good despite playing for Slovenia.He produced with Sodertalje jr team but actually didn't for Sodertalje.He played there as a 17 years old...so youngsters don't usually receive icetime in a men's league.

Personally I rank them in this order.
1. Brule
2. Pouliot
3. Kopitar
4. Ryan

CH Wizard

Wow, Kopitar actually scored 10 goals in 10 shots in the w20 div 1.It's a weak league but the kid seems to have mad skills.Even Bartulis got 7 points.

Unreal.

My top 4:

1 Brule
2 Ryan
3 Kopitar
4 Pouliot.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
The Great One said:
Wow, Kopitar actually scored 10 goals in 10 shots in the w20 div 1.It's a weak league but the kid seems to have mad skills.Even Bartulis got 7 points.

Unreal.

My top 4:

1 Brule
2 Ryan
3 Kopitar
4 Pouliot.

Umm it seems by that link that anyone who shot the puck scored on it...

Everyone's at 100% shooting percentage except the guys who never took a shot...

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
oilers112 said:
Umm it seems by that link that anyone who shot the puck scored on it...

Going by that, I could goaltend in that tournament.

By the way: I'd rank them: Brule, Pouliot, Ryan, and Kopitar.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Kopitar won't drop to the Canucks....

I really want the Habs to take him! I am even willing to part with Plekanec to move up a couple of spots to make sure we get him. High Risk ..maybe! but he's a potentiel franchise player which you can't really get in other drafts...especially Montreal when they are around 15th to 20th in picking.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE AN NHL TEAM THIS YEAR?
Does he speak english?

CH Wizard

Komisarek8 said:
Kopitar won't drop to the Canucks....

I really want the Habs to take him! I am even willing to part with Plekanec to move up a couple of spots to make sure we get him. High Risk ..maybe! but he's a potentiel franchise player which you can't really get in other drafts...especially Montreal when they are around 15th to 20th in picking.

Does he speak english?

Not this year, in 1,2,3 years, maybe.The kid made it clear that he wants to play in the SEL...I dunno.He has to prove, he can produce in the SEL, first, I'd think.

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
The Great One said:
Not this year, in 1,2,3 years, maybe.The kid made it clear that he wants to play in the SEL...I dunno.He has to prove, he can produce in the SEL, first, I'd think.
Really I read in an interview that he wanted to come to North America asap and was talking with his agent that his contract expires soon and that he could consider coming here if the team wants him to.

CH Wizard

LOL, I'd send him to Hamilton then (since euro's can play in the AHL at whatever age)! The kid doesn't want to play in the WHL...he made it clear.He might want to play in the NHL, though.

fred2792

Nov 3, 2004
Ste-Therese
For me, Kopitar should be the habs first pick and if he's not available, Ryan is my second choice. I dream to see Kopitar and Kostitsyn play on the same line at Hamilton... :bow:

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
I like Brule but I wouldn't mind Kopitar, I haven't read a scouting report on him (Kopitar) cause its hard to find one but he seems like a good pick, he says he's a finesse player but he can player as a power forward too, until I can find a report on him I'll have to take his word lol

CoolburnIsGone

FLYLine4LIFE said:
He has the most risk but the highest reward IMO, but teams will go with the safer top player.
Why is he the most risk? Because he's Slovenian? I don't buy that personally...if you can play, doesn't matter where you're from. I bet there was a time when people thought the same thing about Czech-born players too. IMO, he seems like a safer pick than Ryan (questionable skating) and Pouliot (who I say is the biggest risk/reward player in the top group). I think Brule is safer than Kopitar but I still would rather take a chance on a kid at 6'3" and has his skillset. Many people are thinking he could be getting picked at #6 to the Jackets and comparing this draft to the Lindros draft (Forsberg went #6 overall).
Prevail77 said:
I like Brule but I wouldn't mind Kopitar, I haven't read a scouting report on him (Kopitar) cause its hard to find one but he seems like a good pick, he says he's a finesse player but he can player as a power forward too, until I can find a report on him I'll have to take his word lol
This comes straight from the Central Scouting's profile on Kopitar:
Big, strong Slovenian born player who spent the 04-05 season in Sweden with Sodertalje. Good skater but could use some more first-step quickness. Excellent over all skill level. Has good size and fine tools.Excellent understanding of the game, good positional player. Has a good shot, can score in many ways. Smooth hands, effective at face offs.

Good, hard working competitor with excellent attitude. Has the size but do still need muscle and strength.

Had an excellent season with Sodertälje U20 in the Swedish junior league. Also played on the league-team,first games in the Swedish league in January,on the 4th line with limied icetime. Won scoring-title SWE Jun league, World JUN U20 Div I in Dec. World Jun U18 Div I,in April. On the Sloveninan Nationalteam in February at the Olympic qualification tournament and at teh World Championship. Has all the tools needed to be the first Slovenian born player in the NHL.
So the only issue I see is strength...particularly leg strength. My guess is he'll need one more yr before he could be considered NHL-ready but would be better off with 2 yrs more of development time (1 more overseas & then 1 yr in the AHL) to build up the muscle he'll need to anchor a top line in the NHL.

prevail

Jan 3, 2004
Montreal
Visit site
Coolburn said:
Why is he the most risk? Because he's Slovenian? I don't buy that personally...if you can play, doesn't matter where you're from. I bet there was a time when people thought the same thing about Czech-born players too. IMO, he seems like a safer pick than Ryan (questionable skating) and Pouliot (who I say is the biggest risk/reward player in the top group). I think Brule is safer than Kopitar but I still would rather take a chance on a kid at 6'3" and has his skillset. Many people are thinking he could be getting picked at #6 to the Jackets and comparing this draft to the Lindros draft (Forsberg went #6 overall).
This comes straight from the Central Scouting's profile on Kopitar:
So the only issue I see is strength...particularly leg strength. My guess is he'll need one more yr before he could be considered NHL-ready but would be better off with 2 yrs more of development time (1 more overseas & then 1 yr in the AHL) to build up the muscle he'll need to anchor a top line in the NHL.
Thanks for the article, well I am sure once he comes to training camp and is more involved with a club, he'll get more training to boost his strength

X0ssbar

Komisarek8 said:
Does he speak english?

According to this article he is fluent in the English language - a nice bonus.

Seeing that the CBJ have the 6th pick we definitely gobble him up if he's still sitting at the table and judging buy a poll in the CBJ forum that will make a lot of Blue Jacket fans very happy.

1. Brule (love the bulldog attitude, speed and scoring touch)
2. Ryan (like the size with soft hands - reminds me of a certain guy already in a CBJ sweater)
3. Kopitar (like the size and attitude and we need a center desperately - worried about how the new CBA will effect Euros)
4. Pouliot (we are loaded at LW and I'm hesitant about the Laddish sudden rise)

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Yea I don't get these "he's a risk because he's from Slovenia" comments. Wouldn't he just be judged by how well he plays in the leagues/championships that scouts are familiar with, such as the the two levels of Swedish hockey he has played with, various World Junior levels and the World Championships.

Top Shelf, I wouldnt' be worried that the CBA would affect him coming over to the NHL if he was given the chance to do so. I imagine that going to the NHL for a player from a small country like he is, he would see it as a great honour for himself and his country, to be the first. I doubt his dreams are of playing in the SEL or the RSL..

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The only way Brule is better than Kopitar is if you're looking for safety. Kopitar easily has a much higher ceiling, and the Habs would be foolish to let him pass if they have the opportunity to draft him. This kid looks like a franchise center.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Tb0ne said:
Yea I don't get these "he's a risk because he's from Slovenia" comments. Wouldn't he just be judged by how well he plays in the leagues/championships that scouts are familiar with, such as the the two levels of Swedish hockey he has played with, various World Junior levels and the World Championships.

Top Shelf, I wouldnt' be worried that the CBA would affect him coming over to the NHL if he was given the chance to do so. I imagine that going to the NHL for a player from a small country like he is, he would see it as a great honour for himself and his country, to be the first. I doubt his dreams are of playing in the SEL or the RSL..

While I don't think Kopitar's nationality should be an issue, it is a valid concern in some cases, such as with Swiss players. How many of those guys have worked out? High skill-level, but generating from a non-traditional market created a dynamic that NHL general managers weren't ready for. In Kopitar's case, he's shown a desire to play in North America, has played well at a high level (although I'd like to see how he does at the top of the SEL this year) speaks fluent English, and is skilled with good size. He's an appropriate choice with a top seven selection.

Last edited:

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Top Shelf said:
According to this article he is fluent in the English language - a nice bonus.

Seeing that the CBJ have the 6th pick we definitely gobble him up if he's still sitting at the table and judging buy a poll in the CBJ forum that will make a lot of Blue Jacket fans very happy.

1. Brule (love the bulldog attitude, speed and scoring touch)
2. Ryan (like the size with soft hands - reminds me of a certain guy already in a CBJ sweater)
3. Kopitar (like the size and attitude and we need a center desperately - worried about how the new CBA will effect Euros)
4. Pouliot (we are loaded at LW and I'm hesitant about the Laddish sudden rise)

None of those player will be available when CLB will pick

Edit : my bad , I forgot JJ :) so yes one will be available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad