Would you like the GREAT ONE as comish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENSfreak_03

Aug 30, 2002
Regina, SK
Visit site
if he is one of the driving force behind this possible deal. and it gets done, he can be commish and whatever else he wants to be for all i care.

if not, then if he has good buisness people under him, then yes. not saying gretz doesnt have buisness skills, it would just make me feel a little better.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
He was a great hockey player, but just being good at playing the game doesn't mean he would be a worthy commissioner. You must have some experience in that sector in your career, and I'm sorry, but I don't think Gretzky is up to the job with the type of experience he has with the game.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
I can see him eventually being considered as commish but I think a better person for the job would be Ken Dryden .

I think Wayne likes being involved with Hockey Canada (Olympics,World Cup etc.)and he has also shown interest in coaching his Coyotes......

Mountain Dude

I like the guy to much, and its an ugly job sometimes.

CH Wizard

I can't , I'm too young.

Seriously, go leafs go is right , he was a good player but has he proved before that he can be a good commish one day ?

mackdogs*

I think having Gretz in charge is just a setup for disappointment. Everyone will expect him to make miracles happen. And if he happens to damage the game I'd hate to have the last memory of Gretzky in the NHL being a negative one!!

:bow: Gretz, but Burke gets my vote.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I've been saying Dryden for the position for a year now :)

Make it happen!

Gretz for Coach!!!

Wizz

Mar 1, 2002
Unknown
Visit site
How about Serge Savard ?

Like Gretzky and Dryden, He's canadian, he knows the game, he had a great career.
But he also was a great GM and he's a great Businessman...
He has everything.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Gretzky as commish..and I shudder to think how this lockout would have gone.

I'm actually HAPPY with Bettman, but if I were to choose a successor, it's going to be another hardliner, Brian Burke ideally.

Mountain Dude

nomorekids said:

I'm actually HAPPY with Bettman, but if I were to choose a successor, it's going to be another hardliner, Brian Burke ideally.

I know that he doesn't come off as hard as Bettman, but Gretz would have had this thing settled a long time ago.

The media and fans would absolutely crucify the PA if they said any of the things they said about Bettman to Gretzky. The union would have to trust him.

But I still don't think he's the man for the job.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
nomorekids said:

I agree 100% with the no Gretzky sentiment- He's the greatest player ever by a country mile, but what makes the world convinced he could run a billion dollar enterprise?? What in the world suggests he can run a sports league?? :dunno: I don't think the league needs a figurehead commissioner, it needs a hands-on hard-ass operator. Bettman may not know anything about hockey, but his popularity is no more important to him that it is to me. He had a mandate, and the man is going to serve that mandate till the end, good or bad. History will not judge his success based on whether or not hockey's futures posters would want to high-five him or get his autograph. His judgment will be based on whether or not the league as it exists today survives. And that survival may take some ugly tactics, like the absence of a hockey season. He's doing his job, and I don't think he or his masters really care if we think he's groovy.

Ken Dryden??? Ouch. That guy takes himself way too seriously for this cat. And in case nobody noticed, he was pretty much put out to pasture by the Maple Leafs organization for adding nothing of any value. He might be able to bore someone to death, if that is of any help. :dunno:

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Yes, I would love too see Gretzky as commisioner. There would be a lot more trust between the NHL and the PA if he was commisioner and we would have had a deal long ago. It would be good for the game of hockey to have some one running the game who knows what is best for hockey and cares more about the game then anyone else.

jratelle19

Jul 3, 2004
New York
I would support Burke as commissioner. However, I am a Ranger fan, but without reservation I can say that it would be a good idea to have Lou Lamoriello as commissioner. He is greatly respected by both the players and owners and has a great feel for the game.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
everyone gives Gretz all this credit, but if Gretz was comissioner do you actually think the lockout would have been won by the owners?

nedved93

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to have the commish represent both the owners AND the players in future? seems like it might help to resolve these little "disputes" if they ever arise again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad