Would you let Bozak and JVR walk?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs should have neither re-signed JVR nor brought in Marleau (caveat . unless Leafs win Cup this year) and saved the cap space to sign Johnny Tavares instead should that opportunity present itself.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I still say let him go. He's turning 29 soon. All those wingers who signed 6-7 years at that age as UFAs, how are they looking? That's a risky contract.
And stop with the "Marleau" got his money. You don't think management spoke privately and said we cannot sign JVR for 8 years prior? Of course they did. They're covering all bases.
Look at Kadri's deal. I have no idea ho wthey got him for that, but they know they'll never get JVR for anything close to that and Kadri is far better overall and plays a more important position.
If JVR would take a Kadri deal, 4.5 x 6, he'd be signed already.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Very true. It would seem that we are going to make a play for JT and maybe some other high profile players that are more of a pressing need for us. If that fails in that last week I fully expect JVR signed.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Sure if does. Marleau is an NHL ironman who has very little mileage on his body for his age and his skating is still strong. Do you have confidance JVR is that healthy and skating that good at 38? I don't. Marleau is a true rarity in the NHL.
10 years younger, JVR is more injury prone and a far worse skater and worse defensively.

You feel as though a player who hasn’t missed an NHL game in years has very little mileage?

Awesome.

I’ve got a 1988 Honda Civic in great condition with very low mileage I would love to chat with you about.

I don’t want either player over the long term.

Risk and cap hit. It’s a thing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You feel as though a player who hasn’t missed an NHL game in years has very little mileage?

Awesome.

I’ve got a 1988 Honda Civic in great condition with very low mileage I would love to chat with you about.

Yes. Phil Kessel hasn't missed a game since 2009. Very little mileage on him. It's about your style of play. That can help you have a long career. That's why guys like Lucic look like crap by their late 20's. More games does not equal more melieage. So the car example is a poor one.
JVR won't be in the NHL at 38 imo.

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
We still don't have anyone who can replace what JVR does. Would he sign 3 years @ $8million? Way overpaid but short term while we look for another net front wizard.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Yes. Phil Kessel hasn't missed a game since 2009. Very little mileage on him. It's about your style of play. That can help you have a long career. That's why guys like Lucic look like crap by their late 20's. More games does not equal more melieage. So the car example is a poor one.
JVR won't be in the NHL at 38 imo.

You saw his medical records did you? ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think they could talk him down to 7 years, maybe some chance of 6 even (doubtful) but yeah, 4 years is a pipe-dream.

I’d say if you look at contract comparable GMs seem a lot more reluctant to give that 8th year to 2nd tier guys. He’ll probably gets a 7 year offer from sombody though

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
But all these "Let's sign him for 4 years" arguments are worthless. It's 8 years or nothing.
That is a joke. 4 years or so will be many teams offers. He may get 5 years but highly doubt he gets more then 5.5 for 4 years.

Why people think he can get more then a 5 year deal at 6 m per is funny.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
In today’s world...I doubt he gets 6 years and if he does it is for around 5m per.
Diceman, your view is eminently rational and logical, and why you would be better than a lot of the GM's out there.
Would you have signed Lucic to the deal he is on? Loui Eriksson? There are a million REALLY bad signings out there, JVR will get term, and look good for a few years.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Awesome.

Did you just compare a car to a hockey player? :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
That is a joke. 4 years or so will be many teams offers. He may get 5 years but highly doubt he gets more then 5.5 for 4 years.

Why people think he can get more then a 5 year deal at 6 m per is funny.

Teams will not offer him 4 years. Guys like him never do sign for that. He'll get 7 years as a UFA.
Have you looked at the contracts guys get every July?

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
funny thing is between Kadri and JVR, I would take Kadri every day of the week.
Marleau I just don't get, tho,
JVR is a luxury under the cap system that some stupid team will sign thinking he is a solution. And he is, but to a very limited problem, with issues of his own.
Still one of the better trades the Leafs ever made.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yes indeed. We’ve had him at a bargain price for his production. There’s no way he’s going to take 5 or 5.5 as some have suggested.
He’ll want full NTC, and as you mentioned, a retirement contract. As Babcock said about a team I can’t remember (Chicago?), they knew when to move on from guys
No team will give him a full NTC. He can ask for the moon but he will not get it. This is a player with serious flaws. He is a big body who does not play like one who is not defensively responsible.

If he was more responsible defensively he would get more money but with a very low compete level he will got get the term nor money his agent will want. 6 years is a dream as is 6m per. No one will give him 7 years.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Diceman, your view is eminently rational and logical, and why you would be better than a lot of the GM's out there.
Would you have signed Lucic to the deal he is on? Loui Eriksson? There are a million REALLY bad signings out there, JVR will get term, and look good for a few years.
Erickson was a signing that GM and owners will point to as a reason why you do not give term to JVR. Lucic was a different matter all together as Edmonton needed some grit and meanness in their lineup something that JVC can not offer. He was also a player his GM coveted. JVR is not a solution to fix any teams problems he offers a low compete level and poor defensively as a major part of his skill set. That and his 30 plus goals will not add up to term. A shorter term may see him get more money but either way I see his total dollars and between 22m to 26m over the term of his deal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Erickson was a signing that GM and owners will point to as a reason why you do not give term to JVR. Lucic was a different matter all together as Edmonton needed some grit and meanness in their lineup something that JVC can not offer. He was also a player his GM coveted. JVR is not a solution to fix any teams problems he offers a low compete level and poor defensively as a major part of his skill set. That and his 30 plus goals will not add up to term. A shorter term may see him get more money but either way I see his total dollars and between 22m to 26m over the term of his deal.
I have never heard this stated by GMs and owners.
After the Erickson deal, Okposo got 7 years.
And BTW, Lucic had some massive flaws himself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->