WOuld you have made that deal for Duchene if you were Ottawa?

Would you make that Duchene deal again?

• Yes

Votes: 55 39.0%
  • No

Votes: 86 61.0%

• Total voters

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Absolutely. Ottawa made the conference finals last year and in my opinion upgraded their 1C spot. They didn't give up any can't miss prospects(as far as I can tell) so the gamble is worth taking if they believe they are cup contenders this year.

Reactions: flamesforcup

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Easily. Got the best player, didn't give up any of their top prospects.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Ottawa got hosed IMHO.
Duchene is a slight upgrade on Turris, yes. but to lose a 1st, 1st prospect, and a 3rd? yikes.
Duchene is an UFA after next season and he won't come cheap. He will get at least what johansen got (8x8)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think Ottawa should have made it. Duchene is trending downwards over his last 12 months of hockey. It's clear to most Avs fans he's lost a step in his speed which was a huge factor that made him so good.

He and Turris were very comparable players. I'm not sure they actually upgraded at all, other then getting at least one more year out of Duchene before he maybe tests free agency.

Hammond and the 3rd are minor pieces to lose, but they are assets and you cant just be throwing around assets like it's nothing. Doing things like that is what can get a team into serious trouble down the road. It's exactly what happened to the Avs a decade ago.

And then they gave up essentially 2 1st rounders as well. One in a deep draft where the pick could end up being as high as a Top 11-15 range pick(Doubtful but it's possible). The other is Bowers who was taken in the first round last year. He's not a home-run prospect per se, but he is a good young player that has a lot of value to any team in the league. He's generally considered to have a very high floor of a 3C in the NHL, with a potential ceiling of being an effective two-way Top 6 Center.

All of that added on for what was maybe a marginal upgrade at Center. I mean if Ottawa ends up winning the cup either this year or next year you cant really look at the trade as a bad one for them. But they gave up a lot of future assets for a very slight upgrade.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Over the last 3 years, Turris has outscored Duchene. I think that changes and that Duchene is the better player regardless, but to move last years 1st, this years 1st, and a third just to make that insignificant of an upgrade is insane.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I don't like Bowers- thought it was a bad pick so only the 1st was a real bad play.

The problem is, Turris extended for 6X6 right after. You can live with the deal if Turris is a rental and wants to get paid. It doesn't make sense if you can extend him at that price.

Did Melnyk seriously not want to give Turris 6X6 or was it a case where he wanted a lot more to stay in Ottawa? Because that's a huge discount. If Turris hit market, he easily makes a way bigger payday- max term + higher caphit, undoubtedly.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Definitely not. Too much for limited benefit.

I would have preferred to trade for him in the summer if at all possible to wait that long. Turris would be gone(no need to trade for him) and you could make Duchene immediately sign an extension or call the trade off. The way they carried it out risks that Duchene just walks in 2 years and they'll have lost a king's random for no benefit.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I don't like Bowers- thought it was a bad pick so only the 1st was a real bad play.

The problem is, Turris extended for 6X6 right after. You can live with the deal if Turris is a rental and wants to get paid. It doesn't make sense if you can extend him at that price.

Did Melnyk seriously not want to give Turris 6X6 or was it a case where he wanted a lot more to stay in Ottawa? Because that's a huge discount. If Turris hit market, he easily makes a way bigger payday- max term + higher caphit, undoubtedly.

Turris wanted 7 or 8 years if he were to stay in Ottawa. A 6 year deal was not an option there. So I guess Dorion's hand was forced, and guys like Duchene aren't moved very often. I like this deal for Ottawa but of course remains to be seen what kind of impact Duchene can have.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Turris wasn't resigning in Ottawa so they almost had to do something.

So I am not clear on this part. Did OTT not want to go 6x6 on Turris, or did Turris want out? If it was OTT not wanting to go 6x6, I think the deal is stupid. If Turris just wanted out, then it totally makes sense.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Lost in all of this ...Ottawa didnt have a number 1 center with Turris,so why again do we want to resign him into his mid to later 30,s??Iam not saying the clear cut answer was Duchene either,but at least we arent married to him .And have bought some time to continue our search.And have more options moving forward

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Well, Ottawa is going all in, and he's a clear upgrade on Turris, so I'd say so.

I don't think they're in a position to be going all in at all, but they pretty much have to to keep Karlsson.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Absolutely. I still think duchene is a lot better than turris. That speed with EK is gonna be awesome to watch. Ottawa gave up a hefty price but its worth it to get what could be a true number 1 C for them. Opinion on this all depends on how much better you think duchene is than turris

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
Absolutely.
Bowers is meh
Hammond is a cap dump
the 3rd is just that
the 1st is the only "?" piece which can skew the deal
Turris was on his way out anyway and has looked out of form, even with 9pts, ever since getting a wonky injury against the Islanders last season.

Pretty much. Add in the contract considerations to the mix (i.e. White isn't ready to be a #2C yet but may be by the time Brassard/Duchene hit UFA; at that point if he's ready we can let one of them walk (presumably Brassard) and White can fill the #2 spot) and it's a real solid deal for Ottawa. Also gives them a chance to contend this year and shows their commitment to do so.

The 1st is top 10 protected too so no real risk here.

Also, people outside of Ottawa may not realize but "The Turris Line" has been bad all year regardless of who is on it. It's been the Brassard/Stone combo who has really been rockin' this year. I have real hope that the ridiculously speedy and skilled line of Hoffman-Duchene-Dzingel could give teams a lot of trouble.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wasn't high on Bowers (wanted Tolvanen or Kostin), so that might skew things a bit, but I'm happy with the deal. The 1st we sent over likely (hopefully) lands in the 20+ range, which typically amounts to a 3rd liner or 3rd/2nd tweener if it pans out. I can live with that trade off no problem.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well, Ottawa is going all in, and he's a clear upgrade on Turris, so I'd say so.

I don't think they're in a position to be going all in at all, but they pretty much have to to keep Karlsson.

Geez, if anytime's the time, it's now.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Based on what? He's off to a good start at BU and has done nothing to say he was a bad pick to this point.

His ceiling is agreed to be a 2c/3c in the league by many scouts. Also is USHL numbers aren't exactly amazing, good but nothing to write home about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad