HF Habs: Would you be pissed if Marc Bergevin's summer consisted of...

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
1) Getting rid of DD.

2) Signing Lee Stempniak to a 2-year contract at 3.75M/year.

3) Signing Jiri Hudler 1 year (3.5M) or Radim Vrbata 1 year (2M).

Roster would look like this:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudler - Plekanec - Stempniak
Carr - Eller - Andrighetto
Byron - Danault - Mitchell

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
Barberio

Price
Condon

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
Terrible.

That may be the smallest lineup ever put together in the NHL.

That being said, I really don't expect much from MB.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I would only be content because Desharnais was gone. However, if he canned Therrien and got rid of Desharnais and did nothing else. I would be thrilled!

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I would prefer keeping DD then Bergevin going out to sign Lee Stempniak

This would be typical Bergevin of trying to patch cause he doesn't have the balls to make a bigger move trade or UFA signing

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Getting rid of DD is almost as good as acquiring Okposo. The fact that plug wouldn't get 15-17 mins a night, including copious amounts of PP time, would be a HUGE benefit.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Don't want Vrbata at any cost.

Getting rid of DD would be a +. Would not be against trying Hudler for 1 year. Not a fan of Stempniak.

I expect a little bit more than that.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
It wouldn't be the best off-season, but it'd be better than last year's, I would think.

Yeah on paper it's not sexy but Stempniak & Hudler are two guys with the potential to contribute 45-50 points each. It's not Okposo or Eriksson but it's better than Perron too or overpaying for Boedker.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Hudler and Stempniak is quite different than Vrbata and Stempniak IMHO. Hudler + Stempniak wouldn't be a GREAT offseason by any means, in fact it would be a bit disappointing, but not unacceptable.

Vrbata and Stempniak would be unacceptable. I would be concerned with overall softness up front though.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What's wrong with Stempniak? Yeah sure he has Daniel Winnikitis (no stability) but he's a 45-50 pts player who's competent defensively.

The only time Stempniak hit 50 points in his 11 year career was last year. He's more of a 35 point player (tends to get hurt a lot).

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The only time Stempniak hit 50 points in his 11 year career was last year. He's more of a 35 point player (tends to get hurt a lot).

He hit 50 pts in 06-07. He also had 48 pts 09-10. He's a very streaky player for sure, to be fair though, the season where his production was more in the 30-35 pts range was when he was used as a third liner and played 13-14 minutes a game. In CGY/NJD/TOR/STL/PHX, he had a 50 pts pace and was used for 15-17 mins.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, in view of DD not being the worst player of that group.

Bergevin :shakehead

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The problem with that plan is; how is a lineup counting on Stempniak, Hudler, Byron, Mitchell, Gallagher, Carr, Andrighetto on the wings supposed to fare against heavier teams? I'm not even talking about toughness here. Just how are these guys supposed to win board battles consistently and stay healthy playing against bigger teams and players?

I'm not saying to ignore all of Vrbata, Hudler and Stempniak at all cost... but a combination of 2 of these guys is pretty much the epitome of softening your lineup.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Would feel like the previous offseasons.

Feels like another hope guys fill top 6 roles type moves.

Not a fan of Hudler and Stempniak and i expect more but we must be honest it's miles better than Semin and Kassian.

This said if we want to progress we need more than Stempniak and an aging Hudler. And if we want to achieve that (assuming Stamkos/Okposo/... don't want to sign here) the best way is to give this ice time to kids so they maybe can become more than just that or be used as trade bait.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The problem with that plan is; how is a lineup counting on Stempniak, Hudler, Byron, Mitchell, Gallagher, Carr, Andrighetto on the wings supposed to fare against heavier teams? I'm not even talking about toughness here. Just how are these guys supposed to win board battles consistently and stay healthy playing against bigger teams and players?

I'm not saying to ignore all of Vrbata, Hudler and Stempniak at all cost... but a combination of 2 of these guys is pretty much the epitome of softening your lineup.

I don't necessarily disagree with your premise and your POV here. I guess it'd have to be one of Stempniak/Hudler and Brouwer to balance the whole thing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
He hit 50 pts in 06-07. He also had 48 pts 09-10. He's a very streaky player for sure, to be fair though, the season where his production was more in the 30-35 pts range was when he was used as a third liner and played 13-14 minutes a game. In CGY/NJD/TOR/STL/PHX, he had a 50 pts pace and was used for 15-17 mins.

I think he'd be a 3rd liner in Montreal, I wouldn't want him on the Top 2 lines. Let him play with Eller and Andrighetto. Still not an ideal 3rd line.

Bergy needs to spend more on one player than these two gap fillers.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Yes.

My expectations are high on MB this summer. If he can get rid of DD without taking a big salary back, we'd have enough money to sign at least 1 legit top 6. I'd rather have a really good 6M$ winger than 2 X 3M$

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
1) Getting rid of DD.

2) Signing Lee Stempniak to a 2-year contract at 3.75M/year.

3) Signing Jiri Hudler 1 year (3.5M) or Radim Vrbata 1 year (2M).

Roster would look like this:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Hudler - Plekanec - Stempniak
Carr - Eller - Andrighetto
Byron - Danault - Mitchell

Markov - Subban
Beaulieu - Petry
Emelin - Pateryn
Barberio

Price
Condon

I hope this is your idea and not Bergevin's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->