Would you be open minded to naturalization?

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Let's imagine this situation :

Russia fails at the next best on best tournament due to poor defensive lineup.

Hotheads call for drastic measures, do anything so we can start winning.

Someone offers to naturalize a couple high level Canadian defensemen who are not making Canada A team.

What would your reaction be ?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
To do that, he has to leave the NHL and play in KHL for 4 years. If a player does that he probably has some extra motivation and my reaction would be mostly depending on that motivation.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Naturalization does not address deeply seated developmental problems (such as developing young defensemen).

I am optimistic that things are getting better for the Russian system and I think there are very good young players in the pipeline. Including defensemen.

Do not forget that Russia has had very solid results at the Under-20 level in the past several years. It does not help that Znarok does not include young talents on his senior roster.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Naturalization does not address deeply seated developmental problems (such as developing young defensemen).

I am optimistic that things are getting better for the Russian system and I think there are very good young players in the pipeline. Including defensemen.

Do not forget that Russia has had very solid results at the Under-20 level in the past several years. It does not help that Znarok does not include young talents on his senior roster.

It does not seem that bad this year, most are in mid 20s and oldest is Yemelin at 30. I you mean early 20s players like Paigin, Tryamkin, maybe they aren't sold yet. Nestorov and Provorov are still in playoffs also.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It does not seem that bad this year, most are in mid 20s and oldest is Yemelin at 30. I you mean early 20s players like Paigin, Tryamkin, maybe they aren't sold yet. Nestorov and Provorov are still in playoffs also.

True , but all of them are far from being Gonchar or Markov , and I don't even mention Fetisov level

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
True , but all of them are far from being Gonchar or Markov , and I don't even mention Fetisov level

I think Provorov and Sergachev are both the real deal. If Russia continues to develop defensive prospects at this level they will be fine down the road.

Hopefully Artemi Knyazev is as good as advertised as well.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think Provorov and Sergachev are both the real deal. If Russia continues to develop defensive prospects at this level they will be fine down the road.

Hopefully Artemi Knyazev is as good as advertised as well.

Sergachyov was only recently " average " at best at the u18 championship even though his team wasn't that strong. Still a long way from NT imo, though the talent is there.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Sergachyov was only recently " average " at best at the u18 championship even though his team wasn't that strong. Still a long way from NT imo, though the talent is there.

Sergachev was not very well integrated into the team and was forced to play a safe style. Furthermore, it is a lot to ask from a CHLer to come in, quickly adapt to a different style and lead an underager team.

His OHL best defenseman award and overall performance and skill level convinces me that he is a blue chip prospect.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
In my honest opinion , we should send as many d men to North America while they are young as we can . Keep the forwards home .

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
No, no, no.

For a country like Russia to start accepting foreign players is a nonsense. You may expect it with so called smaller teams but a country with a proud tradition in the sport should not have to resort to this.

One must tackle the underlying issues and solve them not take a short term view. It would be like asking Argentina in football, New Zealand in rugby union to import overseas players.

Backami

Jun 26, 2013
No way. There is Provorov, Zadorov, Sergachev and some others who will be very good in terms of few years. So everything will be ok with Team Russia defensive lines.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
My disagreement with naturalization as a strategy to fill holes is that it takes the pressure off of those who should feel the pressure - highly paid bureaucrats like Tretyak - to go about the business of building quality at home. Naturalization makes your fortunes rise and fall with the market.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
No way. There is Provorov, Zadorov, Sergachev and some others who will be very good in terms of few years. So everything will be ok with Team Russia defensive lines.

I am very curious to see what we have in three years. On top of these three interesting blueliners, Russia has several more potentially good ones. I hope they don't flame out like Vishnevsky did.

Then again, Vishnevsky was always overrated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad