Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd honestly prefer someone who comes with a more recent track record of success.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yes.

here is my thing and I said this once i heard the issues with Quenneville.

What he did was wrong. But we are looking at it with 2024 eyes and not what the culture was in 2010 or so. He did what he thought was the right thing, kicked it up stairs and focused on winning the cup. I'm assuming he thought management took care of it. and Q being a reference for that guy who went on to abuse a child - was horrible. And Q has to live with that every day of his life. imo that's more than enough punishment for a guy who seems genuinely nice as Joel Quennville.

I've said it before. I am a huge believer in second chances. If he's done the necessary steps (whatever that would involve) and truly understands what he did was wrong then I don't understand why anyone wouldn't give him a chance. I don't really believe people should be cancelled because they made a horrendous mistake in their past and are truly contrite and wanting to atone for that now. and if we wanna use the Media or this isnt the market for that - Keefe came with a hecka lot of baggage and I think it was just drama for about a month and then everyone moved on. (and Keefe's drama was very big drama too).

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
To be clear there was no evidence the guy had anything to do with the original Beach issues. It was his reaction afterwards that cost his shine. The reference thing baffles me. He doesn't owe me any explanations but I would hope any club that considers him grills him hard about his choices. I could see why they wouldn't give him a whiff either. I suspect he is probably a better coach for this Leafs lineup than say a Berube, but baggage free is the easier path.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Yes, no doubt. But, Leafs may prefer to go with someone who has no baggage. I understand that too.
I think the Leafs have enough PR power and control over local media to launch a Quenneville redemption/apology tour. In baseball the Yankees, Astros, and Dodgers have been able to weather the storm of employing some unsavory players who have helped them win.

You just need the stomach for it. The heat blows over eventually when the next big story comes up, and you can only write the same article so many times.

Reactions: Egghead1999

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
This would have been a no brainer before the scandal, but he might be carrying a lot of baggage at this point. He's also been out of the game for a while.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Couldn't work here. Our media would all virtue signal and call out the team for the hire and the pressure would ramp up more on higher ups like with the CBJ hiring Babcock and then having to fire him.

Reactions: SImpelton

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Yes.

here is my thing and I said this once i heard the issues with Quenneville.

What he did was wrong. But we are looking at it with 2024 eyes and not what the culture was in 2010 or so. He did what he thought was the right thing, kicked it up stairs and focused on winning the cup. I'm assuming he thought management took care of it. and Q being a reference for that guy who went on to abuse a child - was horrible. And Q has to live with that every day of his life. imo that's more than enough punishment for a guy who seems genuinely nice as Joel Quennville.

I've said it before. I am a huge believer in second chances. If he's done the necessary steps (whatever that would involve) and truly understands what he did was wrong then I don't understand why anyone wouldn't give him a chance. I don't really believe people should be cancelled because they made a horrendous mistake in their past and are truly contrite and wanting to atone for that now. and if we wanna use the Media or this isnt the market for that - Keefe came with a hecka lot of baggage and I think it was just drama for about a month and then everyone moved on. (and Keefe's drama was very big drama too).
I absolutely agree.

However, I would need to know exactly what he did or didn't do (i.e., I need to read the court documents). I saw a recent podcast that he was on talking about the situation, and he didn't really take any responsibility.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
We live in a world where nothing other than murder gets a lifetime of punishment. So sure why not?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I absolutely agree.

However, I would need to know exactly what he did or didn't do (i.e., I need to read the court documents). I saw a recent podcast that he was on talking about the situation, and he didn't really take any responsibility.

exactly. like what i said is predicated on if he's repentant. I can sort of see why he isn't taking responsibility... because it shouldn't just be on him. I don't know everything (obviously) . but i would also trust management to do all of that. I figure if sits well with them, that's all I need to worry about.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
exactly. like what i said is predicated on if he's repentant. I can sort of see why he isn't taking responsibility... because it shouldn't just be on him. I don't know everything (obviously) . but i would also trust management to do all of that. I figure if sits well with them, that's all I need to worry about.
The recent podcast I am referring to is here in case people are curious.

I can see that too. He does take some responsibility in that he thinks he should have done more. But I feel it's a bit indirect.

The whole "letter of recommendation" thing that I see the internet hating on him for, from what I have seen is a templated HR performance evaluation (i.e., bureaucracy "performance evaluation")... not some personalized, glowing letter of recommendation that people are saying he provided. Doesn't excuse what he did/did not do, and really depends what he knew.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Imagine Canes gets eliminated by Rangers, would Leafs even offer to sign Rod?
I think they'd be foolish not to. I unfortunately don't see him going anywhere else though due to what he's meant to that franchise as both a player and a coach.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I have not been following this since it came out but I do find that his reluctant to acknowledge he could had done more hurt his image and the fact that the others involved painted him as ‘ let’s focus on playoffs and deal with it afterwards’ didn’t help either.
I don’t think it was Q’s fault, unless he knew exactly what went on and just ignore it, otherwise, he pretty much did what anyone at that position would do. Let HR handle it and focus on playoffs.
Pretty sure he spoke with that video coach about it and that coach most likely didn’t tell the whole truth.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
1000% yes.

I would have already brought him in if I was the one deciding. He's the best option on the market hands down unless Cooper magically becomes a possibility.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I dont follow Joel Q coaching tactics. Is he a hard ass Torts kind of guy? Or a laid back Keefe?

If Joel is a tough coach I dont think it'd make a difference if people are thinking he'd scare them into shape. Babs tried and it didnt work either.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
The GTA is likely the most radically left jurisdiction in all of North America, there is no way they can hire Q.
I actually don't think that's true of the actual community and/or fanbase in general. This is a province that elected Doug Ford after all. If you're talking specifically about the media landscape (both print and broadcast) then yes, you are correct, but that's true in virtually every city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad