Speculation: Would TML trade Spezza as a cap dump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Yeah 700k for a guy with 11 pts in 18 games in 4th line minutes while being top 10 in the league in fo% is a cap dump....

This is the last type of guy you trade away while trying to maintain cap space.

Reactions: leuf

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Yeah 700k for a guy with 11 pts in 18 games in 4th line minutes while being top 10 in the league in fo% is a cap dump....
You clearly need a 160+ IQ and at least 2 college degrees like the OP says he has to understand the potential cap savings here. We are just mere peasants and shouldn't even comment on his posts.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Exactly as much cap space as never trading for Spezza in the first place.

so you trade CAP A for CAP B

but when Cap B arrives it retires.

make fun of the OP all you want I can’t even make it through page 1 of this thread it hurts my head

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Cant they just keep the guy? He wont report to anyone else and he's barfingly pleased to wear the jersey.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
so you trade CAP A for CAP B

but when Cap B arrives it retires.

make fun of the OP all you want I can’t even make it through page 1 of this thread it hurts my head
So are you saying what the OP is saying makes sense? TML aren't the ones dumping, the other team is? So TML would give up a min wage player to get another min wage player? or somone making more? Someone producing more? Who would give up a player the TML would want that would also be considered a dump on their end?

There is no way to look at this to make it make sense.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Hear me out... The leafs fire one of their pro scouts. They probably have like 5 or 6 anyway.
Leafs shed like 40k.

Maybe they make half a dozen minor deals, maybe one swapping backup goalies or something, and give a slightly better player in return allowing them to request 5-10% salary retention on each player coming back.
It all adds up you know. Maybe grab Hall at the deadline.

Idk just spit ballin here but I do have an IQ of 184 and a PhD in clay pottery making

Last edited:

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
So are you saying what the OP is saying makes sense? TML aren't the ones dumping, the other team is? So TML would give up a min wage player to get another min wage player? or somone making more? Someone producing more? Who would give up a player the TML would want that would also be considered a dump on their end?

There is no way to look at this to make it make sense.

I never said Toronto should or would trade spezza

I just said in theory op is correct and since player is retiring upon a trade you could reduce cap this way

This was in response to people saying “just don’t trade for spezza it’s the same thing”

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Habs will gladly take him for free. No need to thank us for helping you guys out with your cap dump issue.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

I just said in theory op is correct and since player is retiring upon a trade you could reduce cap this way

This was in response to people saying “just don’t trade for spezza it’s the same thing”
But you cant really, because you would need to call a player up to replace the player you traded away, and he is going to make as much as Spezza was. Spezza is making 700k, unless the player you call up makes less you havent saved anything by having Spezza retire. The only way to save money here would be to trade for Spezza, have him retire and then play 22 players on your roster for the rest of the season which seems like a horrible idea to save 700k.

Reactions: Ciao and Chabot84

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
But you cant really, because you would need to call a player up to replace the player you traded away, and he is going to make as much as Spezza was. Spezza is making 700k, unless the player you call up makes less you havent saved anything by having Spezza retire.

ohhhhhhh shit!! My IQ is big

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012

Ok sure in a vacuum, but, realizing you already said this is a bad idea and I get it, can you think of a team or situation that this would even make any sense? I'm not even saying one you think is a good trade, I'm saying literally anything. There is no situation where this would make even the slightest bit of sense, either for Toronto or anyone of the other 30 teams.

So yea, if you skip that part, a different team can reduce salary by giving Toronto a player in this deal...

But at the end of the day, wiping before, instead of after going the bathroom will result in less wiping. That also makes sense in a vacuum.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
D1672724-C782-462A-95A8-50A60428157D.jpeg
Damn. that would upset the psychologists who measured my IQ at 160+, my 2 college degrees, my 300 plus hours of college credits, my decades in sports management at all levels.

Now what I was thinking is THIS.

If Spezza is n0t seen as a valued asset. You trade him to team A, He retires, team A gets his salary as additional cap space as an additional resource.

No, I will not report you.

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
Ok sure in a vacuum, but, realizing you already said this is a bad idea and I get it, can you think of a team or situation that this would even make any sense? I'm not even saying one you think is a good trade, I'm saying literally anything. There is no situation where this would make even the slightest bit of sense, either for Toronto or anyone of the other 30 teams.

So yea, if you skip that part, a different team can reduce salary by giving Toronto a player in this deal...

But at the end of the day, wiping before instead of after going the bathroom will result in less wiping. That also makes sense in a vacuum.

Yeah Spezza was a nice pick up for Toronto the guy is beasting for them, reminds me of the good old days. Used to be a huge fan back in the pizza line days.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Damn. that would upset the psychologists who measured my IQ at 160+, my 2 college degrees, my 300 plus hours of college credits, my decades in sports management at all levels.

Now what I was thinking is THIS.

If Spezza is n0t seen as a valued asset. You trade him to team A, He retires, team A gets his salary as additional cap space as an additional resource.

No, I will not report you.
Zero point zero

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Hear me out... The leafs fire one of their pro scouts. They probably have like 5 or 6 anyway.
Leafs shed like 40k.

Maybe they make half a dozen minor deals, maybe one swapping backup goalies or something, and give a slightly better player in return allowing them to request 5-10% salary retention on each player coming back.
It all adds up you know. Maybe grab Hall at the deadline.

Idk just spit ballin here but I do have an IQ of 184 and a PhD in clay pottery making
Or the Leafs could also take player A in the AHL, and trade them for a slightly better player B who is also in the minors. Then trade player B for slightly better player C who is NHL healthy scratch. Then trade player C for player D who is a team's 4th line LW.

Keep on trading trading players for slightly better players, until the original player A in the AHL essentially becomes Connor McDavid or Nathan MacKinnon.

Reactions: CreeksideStrangler

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
You clearly need a 160+ IQ and at least 2 college degrees like the OP says he has to understand the potential cap savings here. We are just mere peasants and shouldn't even comment on his posts.
There is no real cap savings offered by the original post.

However, quantitative reasoning is only part of an IQ test. Maybe the original poster makes up for it by acing the other areas of the IQ test to score his 160+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad