Speculation: Would the Leafs consider trading Freddy?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hot take heaven on the ol leaf boards this morning.

Who is available that is better than Andersen? please don't say garret sparks.

this is what happens to #1 goalies, these days they become swiss cheese for extended periods. Rask wasn't that great this series, Vasilevski wasn't very good in tampas series. Carey Price looked like Jonas Gustavsson at time this season.

edit: Matt Murry struggled, Gibson struggled

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
We need to trade McIlhinney if anything. And we need to bring up Picard or Sparks to give them a chance to be that 1B.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I just can't pass by this thread. As a Flyers' fan I'm saying that you have to be completely drunk or crazy to consider trading away your legit #1 NHL goalie! If you spent at least one season with Elliott and Neuvirth, you would value Anderson more than ever!

Reactions: hotpaws

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I wouldn't consider trading Andersen but I think investing a in better backup goaltender who can give the team more quality starts would be a smart move. It's a legitimate question to ask if Freddy's playoff performance would have been better if he had been allowed more rest during the regular season.

McElhinney was probably the best the best backup in the league this year & Sparks is the best goalie in the AHL this year & both cost under $1,000,000 this season.....

So what would you propose?

Should we give up assets & pay a higher salary to someone who has performed worse?

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think we should look at trading McElhinney to Oilers. They need a solid backup, they'd probably give us Draisaitl.

:laugh: Trading McE does make sense though... Would rather trade McE than loose Sparks and/or Pickard for nothing.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No. There will be no one better available. He was top 10 this season and makes les than 50% what Price does.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
:laugh: Trading McE does make sense though... Would rather trade McE than loose Sparks and/or Pickard for nothing.
Yeah. I've been a big defender of McElhinney but this was most likely a career year for him. He's better than his reputation indicates, but he's not that good. Sparks might be though.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
No goalie would have fared better last night. You can't keep letting your goaler get fired at 45 times a game and high quality chances and not have him break down. Problem is not goaltending in Toronto, problem is defending. Hainsey, Dermot, Reilly, Polak....get rid of the rest.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah. I've been a big defender of McElhinney but this was most likely a career year for him. He's better than his reputation indicates, but he's not that good. Sparks might be though.
There's little upside in bringing him back. He had a great year, but he's a backup goalie and we have one that needs to be tested.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
I have been telling people all year, Leafs w on't win the Cup with Andersen... or Gardner. It takes a certain type of player to help you win the Cup. Don't think Andersen is a playoff goalie. It's a whole different puckgame in the 2nd season. Defend all you want. Goals 5 & 6 last night were totally unacceptable. What he did during the season doesn't mean anything today.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
I have been telling people all year, Leafs w on't win the Cup with Andersen... or Gardner. It takes a certain type of player to help you win the Cup. Don't think Andersen is a playoff goalie. It's a whole different puckgame in the 2nd season. Defend all you want. Goals 5 & 6 last night were totally unacceptable. What he did during the season doesn't mean anything today.

Weaker Goalies than Andy have won cups.
He's no Patrick Roy that's for sure.
You can still win with him.
Just need better D

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
No. How easily people forget his performance in Games 5/6.

Yeah...its not that hard to forget considering he was god awful in 4 games this series. I'm not on the trade Freddy bandwagon whatsoever he's been great all season but don't heap praise on two games of a series where he was not good enough and act like they mean something now. I fully believe he has the ability to be better when our defense improves but this man deserves criticism and people defending him with nonsense like this:huh: He was not good enough period. If you're okay with his performance this series I recommend you take another look at the goal that ended our season.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
McElhinney was probably the best the best backup in the league this year & Sparks is the best goalie in the AHL this year & both cost under $1,000,000 this season.....

So what would you propose?

Should we give up assets & pay a higher salary to someone who has performed worse?

If McElhinney is capable of starting more games without a steep drop in performance, then I think the onus is on Babcock to utilize him more. However, its unclear to me if McElhinney is capable of sustaining that under a larger workload/sample size based on his career numbers. I do agree with you that if Sparks is ready he should be brought up to play in a backup role and help lighten the workload for Andersen.

Reactions: drewjenks

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Weaker Goalies than Andy have won cups.
He's no Patrick Roy that's for sure.
You can still win with him.
Just need better D

Just like Tom Hagen was no war time consigliore, Frederick Andersen is no playoff goalie. If you can't outscore them, your goalie has to stop the other guys. The regular season means very little.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
In the ever evolving salary cap world of buy low and sell high would the Leafs listen to offers for Anderson?
Don't get me wrong, I love Freddy and value his abilities. And I would consider him a sell high. That is the reason I would listen to offers for him.
Off all positions i think the Leafs are super deep between the pipes.
We have a solid back-up in Mc Backup, crazy depth on the Marlies.
Just spit balling for teams in need of help between the pipes. Philly is probably in desperation mode between the pipes.
Leafs could seek a package of Provorov and Hart ++
There are other teams in a similar mode of desperation Buffalo, Edmonton, Islanders.
This also clears $5 million.
Sometimes the best time for a trade is when you don't want to trade a player...
This is embarrassing.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I wouldn't consider trading Andersen but I think investing a in better backup goaltender who can give the team more quality starts would be a smart move. It's a legitimate question to ask if Freddy's playoff performance would have been better if he had been allowed more rest during the regular season.

McBackup did his job very well. If you want him to have more starts to give Freddie a rest then that is on Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad