Speculation: Would the Leafs consider trading Freddy?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
In the ever evolving salary cap world of buy low and sell high would the Leafs listen to offers for Anderson?
Don't get me wrong, I love Freddy and value his abilities. And I would consider him a sell high. That is the reason I would listen to offers for him.
Off all positions i think the Leafs are super deep between the pipes.
We have a solid back-up in Mc Backup, crazy depth on the Marlies.
Just spit balling for teams in need of help between the pipes. Philly is probably in desperation mode between the pipes.
Leafs could seek a package of Provorov and Hart ++
There are other teams in a similar mode of desperation Buffalo, Edmonton, Islanders.
This also clears $5 million.
Sometimes the best time for a trade is when you don't want to trade a player...

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Why would the leafs trade a solid number one goalie when they finally got one?

Andersen was the number one reason leafs even got to the playoffs in the first place.

What a dumb ass question. Thats why you are sitting at home eating chicken wings, while others, who understands Hockey are GMs. I cant get over the stupidy in the leafs hfboards, jesus christ.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
No haha, he was likely playing injured as well. The leafs team as a whole strategy of defending is pretty suspect though.

Brolaf

Apr 4, 2013
Woodbridge, ON
I wouldn't consider trading Andersen but I think investing a in better backup goaltender who can give the team more quality starts would be a smart move. It's a legitimate question to ask if Freddy's playoff performance would have been better if he had been allowed more rest during the regular season.

Reactions: Tonka

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Who assumes the starter's role if Andersen's traded? We have goalies in the organization, but projecting anything more than backup at this point would be expecting too much IMO. We'd possibly be looking at two trades as I don't know if there'd be a starter for starter swap out there to be made. I don't really see it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
There is no way the Leafs would be interested in moving Freddy without his replacement already in the queue. The Flyers are a perfect example of how a talented club ends up in the wasteland without a quality #1. Leafs have basically been looking for Freddy since Balfour got old. So in the unlikely event Sparks comes in next season and outplays FA that could open up a door, but even then I think the club would want to see that same level from Sparks next year. They have no reason to want to move McBackup so can't see them going into the market for a current vet to challenge Freddy and only a major injury might change that. Career suicide for a GM to deal his starter without having a better one waiting,

In terms of the return, I can't see Provo being on the table for any goalie. A couple of 2nds or a very late 1st gets you a Talbott/Andy/Martin Jones type. A club would risk that multiple times before dealing one of their young core players.

Reactions: Brown Dog

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015
My god the hot takes coming out today are something else. NO, you don't trade Freddy and NO, you don't trade Gardiner because they were terrible in game 7. Identify areas of weakness and improve on them in the offseason. The Leafs need help on D, help at center and need to move on from the UFA's. That's the task at hand in the offseason.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
No. How easily people forget his performance in Games 5/6.

Yes, he was good in games five and six. Ideally, however, you'd like your number one goaltender to play well in more than two out of seven games. I like Andersen overall but there's no denying he did not have a good series.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
If I'm Philly's GM, I do that in a heartbeat.

Sadly, I'm just a Leafs fan who would love Provorov.

Oh, and an NHL starter, 2 NHL back ups and an unproven kid is not what I call depth. Not over the long haul.

Plus, what everyone else said.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
If you are of the opinion Freddy needs to go, you are stupid and I don't respect your opinion or even you.

And Philly isn't trading Provorov for Andersen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad