Speculation: Would the Canadiens have made the playoff with Markov and Radulov?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think yes.

I also think we would still not have been a contender and had at best a 2nd series bounce out. Still no no. 1 centre and Markov would have tired out as top pair LD.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
In hindsight, I'll easily take one of Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Hughes, Walstrom over Radulov and Markov

Reactions: llamateizer

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I'd say yes. Assuming with still have Drouin and Alzner, I'd say yes by a point or two. I think Radulov would get more out of Drouin than any other hab.

Nothing better than that because Weber has been missing all season.

Reactions: Michelb2018

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Barely, I think, but next year and the year after with late draft choices no better hopes...
By resigning Markov for two more years instead of signing Karl Alzner, the defence would have been better and by resigning Radulov instead of trading Sergachev for Drouin, both the offence and defence would have been better, especially if they promoted Sergachev from Laval.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd say they'd squeak in if Weber was healthy, with Weber not healthy I'd say they'd struggle to make the playoffs.

Markov is great, but given how brutal our left side on D is he'd be stuck playing too many minutes and get less effective as the season went on. Radulov would've obviously helped the offence, but given our garbage centres he would've been around the point totals he put up here last year as opposed to a point a game playing with Benn/Seguin.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I'd say they'd squeak in if Weber was healthy, with Weber not healthy I'd say they'd struggle to make the playoffs.

Markov is great, but given how brutal our left side on D is he'd be stuck playing too many minutes and get less effective as the season went on. Radulov would've obviously helped the offence, but given our garbage centres he would've been around the point totals he put up here last year as opposed to a point a game playing with Benn/Seguin.
What happened with Marky and the Olympic team? Why is he a no go? If it’s play related then I don’t think he would have made a big difference on our season.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
What happened with Marky and the Olympic team? Why is he a no go? If it’s play related then I don’t think he would have made a big difference on our season.

Seeing as Nikita Nesterov made it and Markov didn't, I'd find it hard to believe it'd be play related. Markov could've played with a broken arm and broken leg last year and he would've still looked better than Nesterov.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Possible we make it and fight the Leafs for the 3rd seed in the Atlantic, Maybe wild card or we just miss the playoffs. We likely trade our 1st for a rental and lose in the 1st round. Best thing to happen to us is an off year and other top 10 pick.

Reactions: Michelb2018

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Well we would definitely be better off than we are now.... but still the way the franchise is run was mediocre before this offseason and its sad that it took a historically bad offseason for bergevin supporters to realise what an oaf he is

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Maybe... but Markov was soon to be done and that would have exposed the Habs D eventually anyway. He doesn't seem to be having a good year and he won't be playing at the Olympics. I think that does speak volume. If he had been signed, eveyone would have complained that you don't give so much money to Ds that are at the end like that, etc.

So...

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Best thing to happen to us is an off year and other top 10 pick.

an "off year"?

this isn't an "off year",

this is what was predicted by many including myself last summer......and its going to be the same crap you see next season unless serious changes are made....a top 10 pick isn't going to change much, if anything

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
an "off year"?

this isn't an "off year",

this is what was predicted by many including myself last summer......and its going to be the same crap you see next season unless serious changes are made....a top 10 pick isn't going to change much, if anything

I'm not expecting anything for next year and I would like another top 10 pick in back to back years. The only dream where I am expecting our team to turn around into a contender in one season is if we are able to win the draft lottery (Dahlin) and sign Tavares.

My Core moving forward... Price, Weber, Drouin, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Danault, Lehkonen, Mete, Poehling, Juulsen, Brook. Focus on futures and fill the voids around these guys and we might resurface a much stronger team in a few seasons from now. A lot of work to do but we have 7 top 100 picks in the next draft and we are likely to add 2 or 3 key pieces on top of what we have with tons of cap space.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This team probably does:

Hudon-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Danault-Radulov
Lehkonen-Eller-Byron
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Carr

Emelin-Subban
Markov-Sergachyov
Mete-Petry