Speculation: Would Signing John tavares be a mistake?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Tavares is exactly what they've been looking for.

But if I'm Tavares, what gets me to sign with St. Louis?

St Louis is always a day late and a dollar short. They’re a really solid team that generally falls just shy. If you’re Tavares and you think you’re better than Paul Stasny or any other center they have... You think you could make the difference between losing to Chicago in 6 or beating them in 6 in one of those years. They have good talent and a gaping hole at the top.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
St Louis is always a day late and a dollar short. They’re a really solid team that generally falls just shy. If you’re Tavares and you think you’re better than Paul Stasny or any other center they have... You think you could make the difference between losing to Chicago in 6 or beating them in 6 in one of those years. They have good talent and a gaping hole at the top.

Been a day late and dollar short since forever....
Is why I'd probably go elsewhere.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Team should be in full blown rebuild here, As much as i would love to add John Tavares the money should be used for upgrading the blue line here. If we draft Dahlin adding Tavares would get us closer to contending.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I think your last bold answers the question of your first bold, your take on the Wings is over the top.

If the Wings sign JT, they are set on forward for years, so then the focus shifts to D. In a perfect world we draft Dahlin, now I know that will not likely happen, but this question is hypothetical. IMO for us to get JT to begin with, the first step is landing Dahlin. If that happened and we go into next season with Daley, E, DD, Dahlin, Hronek, and fingers crossed Chowolski as our top 6, I dont think that is a dumpster fire. It's not great, but I didnt say we are winning the cup next year.

Landing Dahlin doesn't change our D overnight. He's got a lot to learn playing against men.
He didn't stand out in the least in the Olympic game I watched.

If he replaces Green it's probably a wash, at best for a year or two, before you start seeing him take off.

JT should really help at forward.
But realistically, JT is no better than Zetterberg was for us last year, when we failed to make the playoffs.

I think if you can make JT fit reasonably well, the best reason to do it is the mojo.
You're letting everyone know the Red Wings are a destination again.

Dahlin or not, that's a pretty important factor with Karlsson, Doughty, McDonough, OEL, Ellis, and Myers potentially on the market.

So even if you get Hughes or Bouchard or Dobson, landing JT might help you get a veteran defenseman who could help that kid.

If you sign JT, it needs to be your priority to dump Helm/Ericsson/Nielsen whoever ASAP to make sure you have the flexibility to sign one of the D who'll be available.

That also means, no resigning Green

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How many places are great fits for Taveras while having the necessary cap space? Chicago was mentioned but while he extends their window, I don't think it's for long given the age of their blueline. SJ? Meh, if you're down on St. Louis I'm not sure why you'd be on SJ. I don't think the interest will be there from clubs like Boston, Nashville, and Pittsburgh. I was thinking Florida, but Trocheck (sp?) has really stepped into that second line center spot.

Who is left? I could see Columbus being a fit, and New Jersey. And of course Toronto. Still, I don't think we should necessarily just cross ourselves off the list. Unless he's willing to take a notable discount, pretty much everyone who would be in on him has some issues.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I wouldn't cross Montreal off the list.
How quickly does MTL turn around if
1) they sign JT
2) Weber is healthy
3) Price is good

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If Chicago finishes in the bottom 10 and hit a homerun with their pick.
And they sign JT.
That's the best of both worlds for a fanbase.

Nothing takes the pressure off your aging defense better than spending all your time in the Ozone.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Another question to ask in a JT to Detroit hypothetical:

What forward on the current roster would have their numbers "Matt Moulsoned" playing next to TJ? Abdelkader? Helm?

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Landing Dahlin doesn't change our D overnight. He's got a lot to learn playing against men.
He didn't stand out in the least in the Olympic game I watched.

If he replaces Green it's probably a wash, at best for a year or two, before you start seeing him take off.

JT should really help at forward.
But realistically, JT is no better than Zetterberg was for us last year, when we failed to make the playoffs.

I think if you can make JT fit reasonably well, the best reason to do it is the mojo.
You're letting everyone know the Red Wings are a destination again.

Dahlin or not, that's a pretty important factor with Karlsson, Doughty, McDonough, OEL, Ellis, and Myers potentially on the market.

So even if you get Hughes or Bouchard or Dobson, landing JT might help you get a veteran defenseman who could help that kid.

If you sign JT, it needs to be your priority to dump Helm/Ericsson/Nielsen whoever ASAP to make sure you have the flexibility to sign one of the D who'll be available.

That also means, no resigning Green

I agree with most of this outside of maybe JT being no better the Z last year.

I have a strong feeling that Nielsen is going to be used to recruit JT, so I dont see him going anywhere. Helm, E, Kronwall are the one's I want off the books sooner then later.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nashville has 13M in cap space, if cap is 80M. Only Hartman and Saros as RFA to be signed, and let UFAs walk.

Tavares would make them insanely good.

Forsberg - Tavares - Arvidsson
Fiala - Johansen - Smith
Hartman - Turris - Järnkrok
Sissons - Bonino - Watson
(Tolvanen, Salomäki)

Ekholm - Subban
Josi - Ellis
Irwin - Weber
(Bitetto)

Rinne
Saros

That St. Louis also looks a decent option. Anaheim also possible. Dallas also. Would be interesting if he joins Colorado. There's many options.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Tavares is a phenomenal talent. He would make the team much better and move a lot of merchandise. Not a mistake but I can't see the Red Wings being an attractive option for him with a rebuild in the works.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
If Chicago finishes in the bottom 10 and hit a homerun with their pick.
And they sign JT.
That's the best of both worlds for a fanbase.

Nothing takes the pressure off your aging defense better than spending all your time in the Ozone.

I would hate for Chicago to be that fortunate. Gary Bettmann would love it, so I can see it happening.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Yes, it would be a mistake.....for Tavares. Just too many better places for Tavares to play/live. And what would be the point for the Wings? They have too may "dead weight" contracts now, and Tavares if fine, but then you squeeze your other players or just don't have the cap to attract other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad