Would Mark Stone have made Team Canada?

Would Mark Stone have made Team Canada?

• Total voters

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
His skating isnt the best and on big ice that could have been an issue but he's just too smart of a player not to be part of this team.He has a strong two-way game and that's something Babcock always looks for in his wingers.Probably a 4th line role or at the very least the 13th forward

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
Locks imo:

Crosby
Getzlaf
McDavid
Bergeron
Seguin
Benn
Tavares
Stamkos
Marchand
Toews

Depending on the way they want to make up the team, perhaps. Considering there is usually 1 injury he might make it. The #11-14 forward might be him, Couture, O'Reilly, Scheifele, Mackinnon, Giroux depending on if they want 13 or 14 forwards. There's also guys like Toffoli, Turris or Monahan that can surprise.

Theres alot of talent. I'll go with no because of skating

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
From 2014, you'd need to replace St. Louis (retired), Kunitz (obvious reasons), Duchene (rep has gone down), Sharp (old, not as good anymore), Nash (not as good anymore) and then maybe Carter/Perry.

McDavid locks in one of those spots, as does Stamkos. I imagine Schiefele & Marchand get a spot, so that's 4/4 confirmed replacements. Then he has to compete with ROR, Giroux, Hall, Carter, Perry etc for the last two spots.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I doubt it. He's not one of Canada's top 14 forwards, he doesn't have established chemistry with another player who's a lock and his skating is his biggest weakness. The fact that he's a natural winger on a team that would be filled with centers, and his high IQ and all around game seems like he could work well with anyone are his strengths for being picked, and I wouldn't be shocked by it, but I would still bet against it.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
I doubt it. He's not one of Canada's top 14 forwards, he doesn't have established chemistry with another player who's a lock and his skating is his biggest weakness. The fact that he's a natural winger on a team that would be filled with centers, and his high IQ and all around game seems like he could work well with anyone are his strengths for being picked, and I wouldn't be shocked by it, but I would still bet against it.

Scheifele-Stone-ROR was a pretty damn dominant line when together for that pre-season tournament for Canada. Sometimes you have to consider the results more important than the names on the back of the jerseys. Not that I'd ever want to be the one to figure out who doesn't make Team Canada's roster.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think he would make it if it was NA ice, not sure if he would be on the starting 12 though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Probably not. Canada's RWs ahead of him would be guys like Bergeron, Seguin, Stamkos and MacKinnon. I really can't see him making the team ahead of any of those four, and I am confident that they would all be RW on that team. Outside chance that he makes the team as 13th or 14th forward. I would select him for as of the extra forwards.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Being a natural winger might be advantageous for him, as Canada is always overrun with converted Centers. But probably still not enough.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I doubt it. Great player, but it'd be a stretch.

Only if you don't watch him or consider his production over the last 4 seasons. He does it all no matter who is on his line. Chemistry and production with whoever he plays at and it's almost all 5 on 5 points. If he played in a big market he would get some consideration. All you have to do is look at what happened yesterday with the all star team. He is 3rd or 4th in scoring for the Atlantic division at the moment plus 10 on a terrible team meanwhile he gets snubbed from the all star team while Karlsson who has been horrible gets the nod.

Reactions: derriko

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Scheifele-Stone-ROR was a pretty damn dominant line when together for that pre-season tournament for Canada. Sometimes you have to consider the results more important than the names on the back of the jerseys. Not that I'd ever want to be the one to figure out who doesn't make Team Canada's roster.

That's true, but it's not established chemistry over a significant amount of time, and they wouldn't necessarily make the team either. Scheifele would have a good shot probably, though it comes down to what they want out of centers moving to wing, as I don't think he would have his own line, while I think ROR would have less of a shot than Stone, though his versatility would be a plus.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Canada is always stacked with 1st line players and having the right roles for guys down the lineup is tricky.

For me Stone would be a good guy to have play 4th line wing and/or be the 13th forward.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Being undefeated in international play, it would be hard to unseat a lot of the Olympic roster guys that have been playing the past little while. Stone's feet on international ice might be the deal breaker for him. Even outperforming guys like Toews, I dont think theres a chance in the world he would make the team over Toews, even if he appears to be the better player right now. Throw in guys like Stamkos, McDavid who would be locks that werent there last time and a center like Monahan it would be tough

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Theres so many other guys I'd take over Stone. And the other day on this board I saw someone pick Stone and Hoffman over guys like Giroux, Seguin, Benn, Scheifele, Hall even Mackinnon. All of those players being better than Stone and Hoffman.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Theres so many other guys I'd take over Stone. And the other day on this board I saw someone pick Stone and Hoffman over guys like Giroux, Seguin, Benn, Scheifele, Hall even Mackinnon. All of those players being better than Stone and Hoffman.

Hoffman has 0 chance. Stone brings a different skillset though. He’d be a perfect 4th liner on team Canada. There’s a reason he consistently leads the league in takeaways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad