Would like some help with prospects drafted in FHL league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
The title says it all.... I'd like to know your take on some of the prospects I've received along with my FHL team. Hope it's the right place to post this... I'd especially would like to know about the lesser known prospects

Chuck Kobasew, Mikhail Yakubov, Jiri Hudler, Cam Ward, Marc Cavosie, Brad Fast, Colby Armstrong, Nicklas Kronwall, Alexander Tatarinov, Michael Leighton, Evgeny Gladskikh, Michael Ryan, Rastislav Stana, Frantisek Lukes, Ryane Clowe, Lee Goren

Thanks a lot! :)

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Chuck Kobasew- He has great offensive talents and can see the ice really well, but he lacks some strength.

Mikhail Yakubov- Great hands, size, speed. He has it all but hasn't been able to put it together and sometimes lacks interest.

Cam Ward- Solid Goaltender with a Great Glove hand.

Jiri Hudler- Great offensive skill. He's a good bet to become a star centerman in this league.

Nicklas Kronwall- He has every skill a defensman needs, except size.

Michael Leighton- He's a good goalie with all the tools to become a true starter in future. He could add some beef though.

Colby Armstrong- Plays with heart every shift. Great offensive and defensive skills. I'd compare him to Ryan Smyth.

...Hope this helps

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Rastislav Stana - Doing good things in Portland of the AHL. Played two games for Washington, one where he played decently, and one where he got shelled.

More of an athletic goaltender than a positional one. I'd say he has decent upside, but will probably need to switch organizations to get regular NHL playing time.

The HF write-up on him:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=751

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Dutchy said:
Thanks a lot! What about the lesser known prospects?

Michael Ryan- He has speed and some offenive skills but lacks defensive skills.

Lee Goren- He has good hands with a good finishing touch, he loves to throw his body around, but skating may be a concern.

Marc Cavosie- Skilled winger, and is a very hard worker.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Just a quick update on Armstrong's pro career.
After a good junior career, Colby had a dismal season in Wilkes-Barre last year, often being healthy scratched, etc...
Many pens fans gave up on him.
This year in training camp, he was probably one of the top 5 players, vets included and was a victim of the numbers' game and was the final cut (apart from Bissonnette).
He started in Wilkes-Barre rather good, but got injured to his leg and was out for quite a while. He's been back for about 10-15 days, and he's beginning to show his form again. If he can play as well as he did in camp, he should be called up sooner rather than later.

Stana -
Only seen him play twice. One time he looked very good, the other like he didn't belong. Both times he got pelted with shots. Oullet is ahead of him on the depth chart, but he's worth keeping.

Gladskikh -
Evegeny is regarded as a long shot with some decent potential. I wouldn't expect too much out of him, or too soon considering Vancouver's bottleneck at forward. No one is writing him off, he's still a very unknown quantity.

Cam Ward -

Memorial Cup winner with Red Deer in '01

Cam has played for one of the best junior teams in the world, the Sutter coached Red Deer Rebels of the WHL. This has made Cam's stats a bit skewed, since playing in front of Dion Phaenuf (#9 overall to CGY '03) and Jeff Woywitka (#27 overall to Phi '01) is quite a desirable postion. Team GAA was 2.16 last year. That said, Cam has been spectacular production wise.

Since being drafted, Cam has been named CHL player of the week and WHL player of the week. He lead the WHL in both gaa and sv% last year. Despite his accolades and production, there are still worries about Ward. He has always had the solid but unspectacular label. He is a known quantity in that barring injury I'm nearly certain he'll play in the NHL. The doubts are whether Ward has the physical assets (aside from his glove) to become an NHL #1. He hasn't progressed much since being drafted, which worries some; I don't buy that the only way to tell if a keeper is ready for the NHL is to play him.

Technique wise Cam is a butterfly dominant goalie. He moves well across the net and is pretty solid in coverage. His best asset has always been his glove hand, which is extremely quick. Although he is solid in his positioning, he has developed some glove use habits which could leave him vulnerable at the NHL level. His reliance on his glove can easily be remedied during apprenticeship. Basically he still needs someone to tell him when to stay up and have it stick.

Cam was regarded as a "reach" when Carolina snagged him 25th overall. I still think Carolina jumped the gun when they took Ward. They're happy to have him, but he could have been had later on by trading down and picking up some assets. Cam was rated the #60 undrafted prospect by THN in his draft year.

I would regard Cam as a low risk low ceiling prospect. It would surprise me if Cam became an all-star goaltender. However it would surprise me if he did not become a solid back-up, who could play a significant role a la Glenn Healy, Manny Legace, Mike Dunham for a long time and maybe get a starting job later in his career. The fact that Carolina had some much interest in trading to get MA Fleury speaks seems to bolster this evaluation.

Stats
'01-'02 46g 2694m 30w 2.27gaa .911sv%
'02-'03 57g 3368m 40w 2.10gaa .920sv%
'03-'04 25g ----m 15w 2.25gaa .915sv% * in progress

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
hudler: very skilled, although he hasent shown much at the NHL level at all yet, he's still only 19 remember. He's made a few very good plays in his days up in detroit and is showing some signs of becomming a star.

Kronwall: turning heads as we speak. He is putting holland in another tight spot. He's playing like 2-3 year vet, which by the end of the year could bump some ppl off. This time next year he will be in the plans and him playing strong could very well affect our decision in resigning chelios at all after this season, he might be old, but cheli could be resigned very cheap, if kronwall continues to show great strides, there wont be any need to bother with a guy like chelios with krons around. He's a great offensive player and is going to be a good pp QB for us in the future.

Waveburner

Sep 22, 2002
Interesting note about Gladskikh is that several Russian scouts have said he is the best stickhandler Russia has produced in about 30 years (better then Datsyuk! :eek: ). Has been stuck on the 4th line for 2 years but was finally given 3rd line icetime a few weeks into the season this year and has started scoring at a respectable rate, especially for a 3rd liner.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Dont expect much from Tatarinov or Lukes. Tatarinov is pretty old for a prospect and still trying to establish himself in Russia. The Coyotes seem to have ignored him totally. Lukes plays hard but I dont see a NHL future.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
Waveburner said:
Interesting note about Gladskikh is that several Russian scouts have said he is the best stickhandler Russia has produced in about 30 years (better then Datsyuk! :eek: ). Has been stuck on the 4th line for 2 years but was finally given 3rd line icetime a few weeks into the season this year and has started scoring at a respectable rate, especially for a 3rd liner.
I heard the same thing, but I don't raelly know what to make of it... ;)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Dutchy said:
I heard the same thing, but I don't raelly know what to make of it... ;)

I don't know what to make of it either. But I remind myself of the super-crappy Swedish reports on the next stickhandling-wonder
offensive-wizard Kristian Huselius and take the skeptical approach until I can see it with my eyes :p

If he can handle a hockey stick better than Datsyuk, he better be DAMN good.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
BrooklynCanuck said:
The fact that Carolina had some much interest in trading to get MA Fleury speaks seems to bolster this evaluation.

While I agree with your whole assesment of Ward, this part puzzles me a little. Everything that i've seen of Carolina's pre-draft plans had them taking Staal regardless of if they recieved the #1 overall pick or the #2 overall pick. With Weekes being one of the rising star goaltenders in the league, we had the luxary of being able to draft a forward. There was speculation that if Carolina recieved the #1 selection they would have tried to trade down in order to take advantage of a team chomping at the bit to get Fluery.

Also, i'd like to add something to your analysis of Ward. In camp, this kid was as cool of a customer as i've ever seen in the nets with the big club. He was calm, played his angles well, and never overplayed the shot. I can see how the solid but unspectacular tag was placed on him. We're going to learn alot about him at his next stop in Lowell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad