Would drafting been very different with no Lou?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
With all the movement going on, I wondered if Shero had the reins off entirely (LL gone to TML prior to draft ) would the pick be different, more moves, Patty moved? Would RS moved it for more picks (down 2 spots to grab an addl 2nd) traded for player picked 1-2 yrs ago? How different would we have looked now?

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I think this draft was all Shero. I don't think Lou had much influence at all since Shero took over, and the fact that he had no power was why he went to Toronto be GM there. Shero was GM for this draft, and he bears the ultimate responsibility for its fruit. If he made good decisions, they're all his; if he made bad, they are all on him, too.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think this draft was all Shero. I don't think Lou had much influence at all since Shero took over, and the fact that he had no power was why he went to Toronto be GM there. Shero was GM for this draft, and he bears the ultimate responsibility for its fruit. If he made good decisions, they're all his; if he made bad, they are all on him, too.

Yeah pretty much this.

I don't think Lou had much power or say anymore at that point, if any at all. Conte might have had a lot of input, he was still in that position the time. And Ray said that Conte would have fell out of his seat if they didn't pick Zacha or something like that.

Assuming the OP is talking about this past draft that just happened about 4-5 weeks ago, and not ''Would we have had better drafting the last decade with no Lou'' which seems to be brought up more the last few days than I would bring up Zubrus.:laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This was Shero's draft. Outside the top 2 picks he basically told Conte the type of players he wanted and scouting basically went off what they thought best fit what Shero wanted.

There is a reason every pick share certain attributes (skating being chief among them).

Shero definitely went to Lou for advice. I don't think Shero made it up that he spoke a lot with Lou.

But the final decision on everything has been Shero. As it should be since he is the GM.

If Shero wanted to trade Patty he would of. Shero attempted to trade back and he attempted to trade up from the second round.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
GMs typically defer to the scouts for the picks. Realistically, GMs don't have time to go out and scout the amateur players since their primary responsibilities rest with the NHL club. Shero's picks would have hypothetically been different since he probably would have had different scouts.

On an unrelated note, I stumbled on this behind the scenes video that Columbus put out about their preparation for the 2005 Draft. Columbus drew the #6 spot in the lottery and their scouts erupted into cheers when Minnesota took Benoit Pouliot at #4.

"We're guaranteed either Gilbert Brule or Anze Kopitar!" one scout exclaims.

If Montreal had taken Brule at #5 like everybody expected........

Sometimes there's a thin line between being a goat or a genius at the Draft.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
GMs typically defer to the scouts for the picks. Realistically, GMs don't have time to go out and scout the amateur players since their primary responsibilities rest with the NHL club. Shero's picks would have hypothetically been different since he probably would have had different scouts.

On an unrelated note, I stumbled on this behind the scenes video that Columbus put out about their preparation for the 2005 Draft. Columbus drew the #6 spot in the lottery and their scouts erupted into cheers when Minnesota took Benoit Pouliot at #4.

"We're guaranteed either Gilbert Brule or Anze Kopitar!" one scout exclaims.

If Montreal had taken Brule at #5 like everybody expected........

Sometimes there's a thin line between being a goat or a genius at the Draft.

Love when you post interesting draft bits Brodeur.

Wow, 2005 was an absolute terrible draft year, especially the top 10:

#4. Pouliot (sort of)
#6. Brule
#7. Skille
#8. Setoguchi (also sort of)
#9. Lee

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Wow, 2005 was an absolute terrible draft year, especially the top 10:

#4. Pouliot (sort of)
#6. Brule
#7. Skille
#8. Setoguchi (also sort of)
#9. Lee

If I ever got to talk with a GM/head scout, the 2005 Draft might be an interesting topic. The league didn't draw the order until July 27th and the Draft began on July 30th.

Typically a team could narrow its focus on a handful of prospects ahead of time since you'd have an idea of where you'd be drafting. But I'd imagine the process would be different not knowing if you're picking #2 or #22. And then that was probably compounded by having it as a snake order.

The top 10 would have looked much better with Kopitar and Marc Staal; TSN had them #5 and #8 respectively. Columbus would have happily taken Kopitar had Brule been off the board. The Kings apparently had Kopitar #3 on their list as well. The rumor was that Carolina would have taken Staal if Jack Johnson hadn't been available.

I wish I could find the thread (circa 2007-2008) where an incredulous Ottawa fan was arguing with me and asserted that Lee was a superior pick to Kopitar. His main argument being that Ottawa had enough offense and needed defense.

2006-07 Senators: 288 goals (2nd in league)
2007-08 Senators: 261 goals (2nd in league)
2008-09 Senators: 217 goals (23rd in league)

Another interesting tidbit in the video is Columbus fielding offers. I think they mentioned Carolina as a team interested in moving down for Marc Staal. Their staff also fields a call from San Jose offering #12, #35, and a late pick for #6 which Columbus turns down.

My Sharks buddy still hates this draft year since he was prematurely celebrating when the Sharks moved up to #8. He was certain they were taking Kopitar but instead got Setoguchi.

So it's interesting that the Sharks maybe were targeting Setoguchi at #6. To move up to #8, they gave up #12, #49, and #207. At #35 they took Marc-Eduoard Vlasic. If Columbus had taken their offer, the Sharks might have cost themselves Vlasic.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
I didn't follow Setoguchi's career. He did great his 2nd year with the Sharks, then he dropped off. Did he get injured?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I didn't follow Setoguchi's career. He did great his 2nd year with the Sharks, then he dropped off. Did he get injured?

Beneficiary of playing with Thornton and a healthy dose of 1st unit PP time (23 PP points). The next year they acquired Heatley which took away Seto's time (10 PP points). Always heard that Seto enjoyed life outside the rink as well. Not sure if that might have been a contributing factor.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Absolutely agree FJG. I think that was one of the many reason Lou went to Toronto he felt useless.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This was Shero's draft. Outside the top 2 picks he basically told Conte the type of players he wanted and scouting basically went off what they thought best fit what Shero wanted.

There is a reason every pick share certain attributes (skating being chief among them).

Shero definitely went to Lou for advice. I don't think Shero made it up that he spoke a lot with Lou.

But the final decision on everything has been Shero. As it should be since he is the GM.

If Shero wanted to trade Patty he would of. Shero attempted to trade back and he attempted to trade up from the second round.

Shero was the boss the day he arrived because he had the support of the owners. Lou was given a job out of respect only, sit there talk on the phone to your friends, clean your nails, have long lunches and when the 2015/16 season is over retire.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I think he had a poor work ethic if you ask me.

He did benefit from some skill guys, but I believe he really had the skill and talent when he was picked where he was.

He just washed out of the league. His most recent stint in Calgary last season was his last chance contract.

He was still a fairly productive player up until the most recent lockout.

GhostofKenKlee

I wonder what the reaction to LL would of been if he hadn't sign PZ by now.

It's Shero now that's he brought his team in, but I would hat tip or throw shade on Conte if it does or doesn't work out with this draft.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I wonder what the reaction to LL would of been if he hadn't sign PZ by now.

It's Shero now that's he brought his team in, but I would hat tip or throw shade on Conte if it does or doesn't work out with this draft.

3rd round on falls more on Conte and crew. I think Shero wanted Zacha, and it was a combo on Blackwood. Rest was scouting just looking for players that fit descriptions and showed potential.

So if Speers, White, Seney work out Conte deserves credit and vice versa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad