Would Canada have won gold with Bertuzzi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
It all would depend on which Todd Bertuzzi showed up.

The Todd Bertuzzi who lead the Vancouver Canucks (they literally became a good team over the course of 2 months in the season they played Detroit in the first round) out of the cellar with Markus Naslund, scoring one of the highest PPG rates (or near the highest) in the league around a year after then.

Or the Todd Bertuzzi from last season who was taking penalties and constantly *****ing at refs for off side calls. All the while not putting up the numbers he used to and looked very lazy at times.

If Bertuzzi #1 showed up, Canada defiantly would have had a better chance of winning on paper.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Tb0ne said:
It all would depend on which Todd Bertuzzi showed up.

The Todd Bertuzzi who lead the Vancouver Canucks (they literally became a good team over the course of 2 months in the season they played Detroit in the first round) out of the cellar with Markus Naslund, scoring one of the highest PPG rates (or near the highest) in the league around a year after then.

Or the Todd Bertuzzi from last season who was taking penalties and constantly *****ing at refs for off side calls. All the while not putting up the numbers he used to and looked very lazy at times.

If Bertuzzi #1 showed up, Canada defiantly would have had a better chance of winning on paper.
Being that there a legitmate questions about his motives for playing, it's far from a slam dunk on him increasing Canada's chances.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
kmad said:
Again, that's not the case here. Bertuzzi wanted to play in this tournament - the rest of them didn't.

Oh well, that's his own problem now isn't it

Radomon

Jun 1, 2004
Stockholm
kmad said:
The situation's a little different.. Forsberg and Sundin would be comparable to Blake, Pronger, Niedermayer, Iginla, Sakic, Lemieux, Lecavalier, Richards, and St Louis

Bertuzzi couldn't play because of his suspension.

Ok, make it Huselius then ;)

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
kmad said:
Again, that's not the case here. Bertuzzi wanted to play in this tournament - the rest of them didn't.
Richards and Lecavalier are both recovering from surgery, not really a case of didn't want to play. Richards tried to start skating early so he could play.

David Draiman

If, woulda, shoulda, coulda. What happened happened and I see no point in speculating about what could've happened if we had Bertuzzi. He would've helped us, but it still wouldn't have been guaranteed. Hockey is a team game and while having stars like Bertuzzi would help, it certainly wouldn't have guaranteed us a win. Nor did we lose because Bertuzzi couldn't play. These theoretical games serve litttle purpose.

SamiK

May 22, 2005
Finland
kmad said:
Not gonna toss in an opinion, just going to open this to discussion.

Please no mentions of Steve Moore.
Does it really matter? It's not that important how you do, but h o w you do it. If i were a Canadian, I'd be more embarrassed about having won with some help from Bertuzzi than having become 2nd with a good team I could be proud of. Like, a team with no psychotic killlers in it...

BTW, Do you think that the behaviour shown by players like Bertuzzi and Nash is a byproduct of exessive steroid usage?

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
kmad said:
Some people like to speculate. Hence the Trades and Rumors forum.

But there are too many variables here to make any sort of prediction.
Would he be in shape or not?
How does the big ice affect him?

I don't know if/how he performed other times on the big ice, but it doesn't seem like he's the ideal person for it.

Canada might've been a *little* better with him. But they may have been a lot worse with him too.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
SamiK said:
Does it really matter? It's not that important how you do, but h o w you do it. If i were a Canadian, I'd be more embarrassed about having won with some help from Bertuzzi than having become 2nd with a good team I could be proud of. Like, a team with no psychotic killlers in it...

BTW, Do you think that the behaviour shown by players like Bertuzzi and Nash is a byproduct of exessive steroid usage?
How the the blazing hell can you stand there and call Bertuzzi a psychotic killler then assume both he and Nash are on steroids. You have a scrambled up mind.

SamiK

May 22, 2005
Finland
Because I've known some people who have used steroids, and their behaviour was pretty similar to theirs. I've noticed that they always seem to have hard time controlling their behaviour. And using steroids must be quite common in nhl since they dont control it. But I dont have any extra knowledge on either player and I admit you're right. I was out of line on the steroid issue.

As far as Bertuzzi is conserned, technically he isnt a killer yet, but not for the lack of trying. Is he psychotic? Yes.
Not exactly the kind of player I would pick to a hockey team. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad