WJC: Would Attendance Have Changed The USAs Performance?

jvcjdudu jcycyxjene

Nov 11, 2014
Denver
I think teams tend to play a bit harder in front of a sold out crowd, but I'm not sure if it was our year. But the games have been a bit less exciting because the lack of intensity a great crowd can provide (like games in Finland/Sweden/Canada).

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
The IIHF knew from 2011 that there is no interest in the WJC in the USA, even in Buffalo. This was a typical IIHF/Rene Fasel corrupt way to accommodate Canadian fans, thereby to take advantage of the financial windfall that will enable Fasel to purchase the South of France and his 47th yacht. He will split the take 50-50 with Canadian television. Within the next 2 or 3 years, the tournament will be renamed the "Canadian Junior Invitational Tournament," so that it can be played in Toronto and Montreal every year, and Fasel and Canadian TV can stuff their pockets with cash. Screw fair competition!

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Nope

They were thoroughly outplayed by Sweden and not because they needed a shot of adrenaline from the crowd.

I don't see how the crowd would have made the defensemen any better defensively. How they would have made the depth forwards better offensively. How they would have improved the decision making on pinches.

Reactions: 7even

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I recall a 2011 group game in Buffalo, USA against Finland. Finland received most of the cheers, USA was booed. Without even considering if USA would be boosted by home support, I'm not even sure that a large crowd would support USA.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
The IIHF knew from 2011 that there is no interest in the WJC in the USA, even in Buffalo. This was a typical IIHF/Rene Fasel corrupt way to accommodate Canadian fans, thereby to take advantage of the financial windfall that will enable Fasel to purchase the South of France and his 47th yacht. He will split the take 50-50 with Canadian television. Within the next 2 or 3 years, the tournament will be renamed the "Canadian Junior Invitational Tournament," so that it can be played in Toronto and Montreal every year, and Fasel and Canadian TV can stuff their pockets with cash. Screw fair competition!

As a Canadian I can assure you that I never want this tournament played in Montreal or Toronto.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Love to read your thoughts on the eurocentric World Hockey Championships, which specializes in collecting Euros instead of Dollars.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018

Europe has the IIHF World Championships exclusively every single year and Canada/US have the IIHF World Juniors most years. Just the way it is.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I recall a 2011 group game in Buffalo, USA against Finland. Finland received most of the cheers, USA was booed. Without even considering if USA would be boosted by home support, I'm not even sure that a large crowd would support USA.

Yeah people are pretending the US has ever had a home ice advantage. Actually the outdoor game might have been the most pro US crowd in the history of this tournament.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
I mean, they pretty much just quit for that two minute stretch where they gave up three goals, so maybe a better crowd helps them stay in it mentally, but they didn't deserve to win that game.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
There's no question that a big, raucous crowd can influence the game although it's a difficult thing to quantify. But here's the rub, in this particular tournament a full capacity crowd doesn't mean a pro US crowd. The more Canadians that enter the building, the more support the US opposition would get.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Love to read your thoughts on the eurocentric World Hockey Championships, which specializes in collecting Euros instead of Dollars.

The only time a North American city bid on the WC was 2008 by Quebec. Guess where the 2008 WC was held? North America isn't interested in the WC because it coincides with the Stanley Cup. Quebec had no other hockey in 2008.

At least in the WC, it is held in a different country every year. The competitive principle is at least at work in not guaranteeing one country the home ice advantage for every tournament. In the WJC, it is held in two countries: (1) Canada, and (2) Canadian border. Its an unfair advantage for Canada almost every year, but the cash money generated is huge!!

Reactions: SashaSemin28

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
If the rink was full every time the USA played, would that have changed their performance?
Would the USA be playing for Gold if the rink was sold out today?
No,....not the Americans year. Not good enough, not enough bite in there bark, not enough swag in their stride, not enough fans in the stands, hey wait!! lol

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
The only time a North American city bid on the WC was 2008 by Quebec. Guess where the 2008 WC was held? North America isn't interested in the WC because it coincides with the Stanley Cup. Quebec had no other hockey in 2008.

At least in the WC, it is held in a different country every year. The competitive principle is at least at work in not guaranteeing one country the home ice advantage for every tournament. In the WJC, it is held in two countries: (1) Canada, and (2) Canadian border. Its an unfair advantage for Canada almost every year, but the cash money generated is huge!!

More North American cities may apply for the WHC if it wasn't held on the European hockey schedule. It's hard to market WHC and count on fans showing up when it's going against the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
More North American cities may apply for the WHC if it wasn't held on the European hockey schedule. It's hard to market WHC and count on fans showing up when it's going against the Stanley Cup playoffs.
No great time to host it that avoids NHL playoffs. The damn season is way too long.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
girl-baseball-weird-reaction-pulls-face-weird-14081236169.gif

I don't think it would have had much, if any, effect on their performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->