Would a Vegas SC be grounds for firing DT?

Would a Vegas SC be grounds for firing DT?

• Total voters

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
tenor.gif

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
And shoot ourselves in the foot yet again, just for the kicks?
The team is heading in the right direction. Even if we say that our expansion draft was a fireable offence, there is absolutely zero sense in firing Tallon now.

Yup it was bad, but he still clearly showed he can construct a viable team, hire a viable coach. Let them run with it.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

finnishflash

Mar 19, 2018
Dale has done some stupid moves but also some better ones. I don't really blame him for letting Smith go, he had an awful season and no one expected him to bounce back like he did. The way Dale handled March was of course questionable. He did however make some good moves: For example letting Gudbranson go, trading Kulikov, letting Jagr go etc. At least Tallon is doing something, instead of morons like Bergevin.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Dale has done some stupid moves but also some better ones. I don't really blame him for letting Smith go, he had an awful season and no one expected him to bounce back like he did. The way Dale handled March was of course questionable. He did however make some good moves: For example letting Gudbranson go, trading Kulikov, letting Jagr go etc. At least Tallon is doing something, instead of morons like Bergevin.
He didn't do either of these things.

harv33173

Oct 5, 2003
it seems that any time vegas does something good this survey comes up. how many more times are you going to run this same survey. lastly ownership was at fault, not dale. he had no say in the matter.

Reactions: Bure1096

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
I wouldn't fire him if vegas did bad or good this year. that's hindsight. I'd fire him for what have been his many terrible moves in plain sight. he's just not a good GM. I couldn't stand him before the expansion. I definitely don't love him now. but if the owners don't spend, it honestly doesn't make a huge diff. at this point.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
No and just stop with the Vegas stuff. I'm happy for Smith, March, and GG.

Life goes on, turn the page, and let's look forward to the Florida Panthers upcoming draft and season.
I'd b happy for them if we were also good but were not so I'm too salty. and we've replaced only half of them. the other missing fwd doesn't look like he'll be added either since tallon said he hopes borg and tippett work out next year (translation: I'm not adding anyone else so they better).

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
I wouldn't fire him if vegas did bad or good this year. that's hindsight. I'd fire him for what have been his many terrible moves in plain sight. he's just not a good GM. I couldn't stand him before the expansion. I definitely don't love him now. but if the owners don't spend, it honestly doesn't make a huge diff. at this point.

He’s a lot better than what we have had in the past. Since the lockout ( the shootout era) the Panthers have had 5 seasons over 90 points Tallon has orchestrated 4 of them. And thats been with an internal cap the whole time. If they had made the playoffs this year with 96 points (our famous 6 in 5 thread) he would have had the playoffs 3 out of 6 years he’s been in charge thats equal to everybody in the 17 years before him. People keep saying he’s terrible but with the crap we’ve had before him I’ll keep him over the other guys.

Bobblebee

Formerly Optimus Reim
Dec 22, 2015
B.C.
Would a Vegas cup hurt us yes. I don't think it hurts Tallon no matter what happens. He shouldn't really be reflecting on the past, more looking to the future.

Although and this might not be a popular opinion. Kings massively underperformed and Vegas doesn't win the series if Fleury wasn't in net. I personally felt Vegas wasn't playing that well. Maybe they didn't have to. But anyways Brown missed 2 crucial wide open nets and that's why he doesn't wear the C anymore.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Although and this might not be a popular opinion. Kings massively underperformed and Vegas doesn't win the series if Fleury wasn't in net. I personally felt Vegas wasn't playing that well. Maybe they didn't have to. But anyways Brown missed 2 crucial wide open nets and that's why he doesn't wear the C anymore.
if missed nets get a C removed then how in the flying f*** does mackenzie still have that thing :)

Reactions: KW and Optimus Reim

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
He’s a lot better than what we have had in the past. Since the lockout ( the shootout era) the Panthers have had 5 seasons over 90 points Tallon has orchestrated 4 of them. And thats been with an internal cap the whole time. If they had made the playoffs this year with 96 points (our famous 6 in 5 thread) he would have had the playoffs 3 out of 6 years he’s been in charge thats equal to everybody in the 17 years before him. People keep saying he’s terrible but with the crap we’ve had before him I’ll keep him over the other guys.
I'd say it was more our scouting that was reponsible for those decades of freak show but yea the gm'ing was abysmal too. it takes a full ownership/management/team effort to pull off 20 playoffless years in 25 and only one trip past the 1st round. I literally don't think any other gm in the league could do that if they tried and that is not a tongue in cheek remark. I'm dead serious. u could spend the bare minimum and trade for bad players on purpose but ud still have to hope they don't gell and have chemistry lile vegas. what we've witnessed the past quarter century is nothing short of miraculously terrible. that's why I always say were the worst franchise of all time. and I know that tallon is not the man to get us out of it. could we hire someone worse? absolutely. but if were not getting out of the first round with dale, we might as well role the dice.

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Would a Vegas cup hurt us yes. I don't think it hurts Tallon no matter what happens. He shouldn't really be reflecting on the past, more looking to the future.

Have you seen DMac on a breakaway?

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
You can't expect a GM to get every single move right.

That being said the Marchessault and Smith to Vegas strategy was a complete disaster (as it stands right now).

We would have been better off this past season if Vegas had simply selected just one of Marcheassault, Smith, Bjugstad, or Petrovic.

We likely make the playoffs by just losing one asset instead of two. Arguably, you could say we also make playoffs if ownership doesn't fire Gallant for seemingly no reason. Or if Boughner plays an optmial lineup for a few more games, or if we beat Ottawa, Edmonton, MTL.

You can make a whole list of reasons of why we didn't get an extra point.

Here are the Tallon moves that worked:
Trading for Vatrano
Signing Dadonov ( Speculation: which doesn't happen if Smith is kept due to internal cap ?)
Signing Sateri (His five wins saved the season)
Waived Jokinen
Did not Sign Jagr

Moves that did not work:
Trading Marchesssault for a 4th Round pick so that VGK takes Reilly Smith

I put the Boughner hire in the maybe category. I have no idea how he will turn out, but he is currently an average coach.

I'd rank Dale Tallon as the 10th - 15th best GM in the league. I do not think he should be fired, odds are we get a GM much worse. Firing the GM would cause more instability and complete organizational upheaval. In particular, our scouting staff has been doing better for the past few drafts. Fire the GM and that might stop if the new GM makes changes.

Additionally, your criteria for firing a GM suggests that all 31 teams who do not win a Stanley Cup should be fired. Multiple teams made mistakes at the expansion draft which has helped out Vegas.

Reactions: patthebat

peterbiz09

Jun 24, 2012
Miami, FL
You can't expect a GM to get every single move right.

That being said the Marchessault and Smith to Vegas strategy was a complete disaster (as it stands right now).

We would have been better off this past season if Vegas had simply selected just one of Marcheassault, Smith, Bjugstad, or Petrovic.

We likely make the playoffs by just losing one asset instead of two. Arguably, you could say we also make playoffs if ownership doesn't fire Gallant for seemingly no reason. Or if Boughner plays an optmial lineup for a few more games, or if we beat Ottawa, Edmonton, MTL.

You can make a whole list of reasons of why we didn't get an extra point.

Here are the Tallon moves that worked:
Trading for Vatrano
Signing Dadonov ( Speculation: which doesn't happen if Smith is kept due to internal cap ?)
Signing Sateri (His five wins saved the season)
Waived Jokinen
Did not Sign Jagr

Moves that did not work:
Trading Marchesssault for a 4th Round pick so that VGK takes Reilly Smith

I put the Boughner hire in the maybe category. I have no idea how he will turn out, but he is currently an average coach.

I'd rank Dale Tallon as the 10th - 15th best GM in the league. I do not think he should be fired, odds are we get a GM much worse. Firing the GM would cause more instability and complete organizational upheaval. In particular, our scouting staff has been doing better for the past few drafts. Fire the GM and that might stop if the new GM makes changes.

Additionally, your criteria for firing a GM suggests that all 31 teams who do not win a Stanley Cup should be fired. Multiple teams made mistakes at the expansion draft which has helped out Vegas.
I'd add the signing of Vrbata to the bad list.

Overall a solid assessment.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
And shoot ourselves in the foot yet again, just for the kicks?
The team is heading in the right direction. Even if we say that our expansion draft was a fireable offence, there is absolutely zero sense in firing Tallon now.

Very much this. In time, giving away Smith and Marchessault for free (literally for free; the deal was "we'll give you Marchessault to clear our books of Smith's salary so we can keep Bjugstad and Petrovic/Pysyk") will probably be seen as one of the dumbest transaction blunders in recent hockey history. Just an absolute head scratcher that defies any rhyme or reason. Frankly, my jaw is still on the floor over how short sighted and poorly thought out that move was.

Were I the owner of the Panthers, I would have blocked that transaction or fired Tallon were it executed under my watch.

But that was almost a year ago. He should have been fired then. It makes no sense to fire him now given our recent front office revolving door.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad