Would a Rolling Salary Cap work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricBowser

Dec 8, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
I think a rolling salary cap maxed out at $100 million over two-year periods could, I stress *could*, work if the CBA has some major systemic changes that slant toward the NHL or at least bring a balanced agreement such as arbitration and qualifying offers.

I think a deal could be made at these levels

2005-06 & 2006-07: $80 million player costs
2007-08 & 2008-09: $85 million player costs
2009-10 & 2010-11: $90 million player costs
2011-12 & 2012-13: $100 million player costs

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Wouldn't work because a team could stock pile for one season and have a 55-60M payroll and then the following year have a $15M-20M payroll.

Now I have always thought that it might not be bad idea to be able to "borrow" from the following or previous years cap, but it would need to be limited to say 10% of the the total cap. This would prevent the large fluctuation in payrolls.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Icey said:
Wouldn't work because a team could stock pile for one season and have a 55-60M payroll and then the following year have a $15M-20M payroll.

Now I have always thought that it might not be bad idea to be able to "borrow" from the following or previous years cap, but it would need to be limited to say 10% of the the total cap. This would prevent the large fluctuation in payrolls.
Isn't that exactly what Washington did .. First Sign Jagr, Lang, Gonchar, Kolzig to big contracts one season and then trade them all away and draft Ovechkin the next .. :dunno:

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Yup but that was not with a cap system. Isn't the point of a cap to make sure there isn't a large difference between the lowest payroll team and the highest?

The owners would never go for it. Small market teams would still complain that the big market teams would still be able to lure the FA to their teams.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
Icey said:
Yup but that was not with a cap system. Isn't the point of a cap to make sure there isn't a large difference between the lowest payroll team and the highest?

nope, its meant primarily to limit player salaries. revenue sharing gaps the difference in payrolls. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad