Recalled/Assigned: Wotherspoon Recalled

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Last year we went on a run to the ploffs with Engelland in the top 4, and now, he's back.

Derek Engelland stars in. . . . . . So You're Telling Me There's A Chance.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
So what was everyone's thoughts on his performance tonight ?

Offensively, tried to get a few pucks through, had a solid pinch as well IIRC
Defensively, looked a lot more under control than the forwards in front of him (I think he saw a lot of time with the Stajan line).

His best play was a Regehr-esque stand-up at the left blue line, if he can play that game that's something we could use.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Same as always, he will have a tough time because he has a quiet game, you don't notice him unless he makes a mistake for the most part. He is hte Matt Stajan of defensemen.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Offensively, tried to get a few pucks through, had a solid pinch as well IIRC
Defensively, looked a lot more under control than the forwards in front of him (I think he saw a lot of time with the Stajan line).

His best play was a Regehr-esque stand-up at the left blue line, if he can play that game that's something we could use.

Agreed. He was definitely much more physical than the other D. A breath of fresh air. If he indeed could be a Regehr-lite, that would be great.

Change all the trade proposals! We keeping the guy for now!

moon*

He was fine which isn't necessarily a bad thing but he didn't do anything great or to stand out.

I thought he looked a lot better than Nakladal overall but Nakladal has a big shot so he tends to stand out more to fans who like that flash.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
He was fine which isn't necessarily a bad thing but he didn't do anything great or to stand out.

I thought he looked a lot better than Nakladal overall but Nakladal has a big shot so he tends to stand out more to fans who like that flash.

The pairing with Nakladal is good for both players. Wotherspoon tends to err on the side of caution which allows Nakladal a little more freedom offensively knowing he has Wotherspoon there. Kind of like the role Regehr filled with the Flames.

My personal opinion is Wotherspoon has that ability to be that great shut down guy. He skates well, he positions himself well and can pass well. The largest criticism of Wotherspoon was his lack of physicality and watching him stand up the Canuck on the blue line was nice to see.

The best night for Wotherspoon will be nights like last night where few people notice him.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed. He was definitely much more physical than the other D. A breath of fresh air. If he indeed could be a Regehr-lite, that would be great.

Change all the trade proposals! We keeping the guy for now!

I think Wotherspoon has been working on being more physical but at this point Regehr-lite is a pipe dream

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

If he makes it as an NHL regular it's going to be like a less mean Cory Sarich. You don't notice him much; and he'll play for 15-16 minutes a night.

Play a stay at home game, make a smart first pass. Like his game isn't going to PK and Brodie your mind, if he just keeps it simple and uses his size, he'll be an NHL depth dman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If he makes it as an NHL regular it's going to be like a less mean Cory Sarich. You don't notice him much; and he'll play for 15-16 minutes a night.

Play a stay at home game, make a smart first pass. Like his game isn't going to PK and Brodie your mind, if he just keeps it simple and uses his size, he'll be an NHL depth dman.
this is a good assessment of him Volica.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Sieloff did the same to Dorsett during preseason, I think Spooner was watching:

cracknell.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->