Worst Start in Coyotes History? (UPD: It was)

Will this be the worst start in Coyotes history?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So I went back and looked through the past seasons, nothing too specific like first 10 games or whatever just eyeballing patterns

So far this season we are 0-3-1 (and let's face it that 1 was a tough one :laugh:)

Other bad starts:
16/17: 1 - 5
07/08: 2 - 5
06/07: 1-5 (or 2-8 if you expand it a bit)
05/06: 1-4-1
02/03: 1-4

So the way I see it, if we don't win the next game it's officially the worst start in our history. I suppose you could argue it already is given in those other bad starts the win was mixed in.

Will we pull out of the nose dive?

Reactions: Yandover

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Looking back at last year vs this one... I am a lot more comfortable with the play of the team this year. 3 of the 4 games could easily have been wins for this team. Last year was a freaking nightmare road trip that ended the season just as it began because the team not only lost, but looked horrible while doing so. My opinion at least.

Lawson of Anarchy

I'm kind of embarrassed
Oct 9, 2016
London
I think the team was not emotionally prepared for Corey Perry and then the Vegas opener. I feel the record does not reflect the capability of them team and hope for better.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Looking back at last year vs this one... I am a lot more comfortable with the play of the team this year. 3 of the 4 games could easily have been wins for this team. Last year was a freaking nightmare road trip that ended the season just as it began because the team not only lost, but looked horrible while doing so. My opinion at least.

That's a good argument. And there are some parallels too in that the #1 goalie has gone down both times. Certainly debatable either way.

But it won't be for long if they don't get in the win column here pretty quickly .

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I thought we would start somewhat strong and finish weak.

In all honesty, I did too. Now I see it as start weak, improve / start looking strong, only to find another lesson to be learned about NHL hockey after the break.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I see the team starting slow (duh in hindsight) as they learn and adapt to Tocchets system. I think Chayka grabs some help off the waiver wire or trades for a veteran fairly soon. Then the young guys will pour it on for half a season (including a Strome call up), teasing at a playoff spot but fade down the stretch a bit.

Reactions: Yandover

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
From the record stand point it will be as I fully expect to get beat by Boston tomorrow...but this has been a much better team that the record it has. I do think they need to spread the offense out a bit and need to break up Domi/Stepan/Keller line...we need at least 2 lines that can score.

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
How 'bout the team playing a FULL 60 minutes instead of 57?? Vegas game excluded...

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Numbers wise it might be, but even then I think we need to define how many games the start is. 5 games? Maybe. Extend it to 10 or higher and its doubtful.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Numbers wise it might be, but even then I think we need to define how many games the start is. 5 games? Maybe. Extend it to 10 or higher and its doubtful.

I went by gut feeling. I actually think that's just as valid as having it more clearly defined. It's like those stats they like to read off on broadcasts that are all month based. But if you split it up it tells a different story. Can always cut it somewhere.

In the cases of the ones I had in the OP, it was all pattern based. So the "bad" starts had 1 win only and strings of losses together. After that was when it stabilized and you say more 2W then 2L then 3 than 2 etc.

So the short version is, I'd say the "start" ends when the pattern changes.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I went by gut feeling. I actually think that's just as valid as having it more clearly defined. It's like those stats they like to read off on broadcasts that are all month based. But if you split it up it tells a different story. Can always cut it somewhere.

In the cases of the ones I had in the OP, it was all pattern based. So the "bad" starts had 1 win only and strings of losses together. After that was when it stabilized and you say more 2W then 2L then 3 than 2 etc.

So the short version is, I'd say the "start" ends when the pattern changes.
Gut feeling is tough for me, I'm not sure I can remember my gut feelings for a lot the season starts. I kind of anticipated this season not starting well, so that affects how I feel about it too.

The turnaround might take some time. I'm not sure I see us beating Boston, but I think we take at least one game out of the back to backs against Dallas. I think Chicago is a loss, but I think we can beat the islanders, and by then the rangers flyers and devils won't be too much for us to handle.

0 4 1 after tomorrow, then either 1 5 1 or 2 4 1, a loss to Chicago, then I think we'll level out.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
From the record stand point it will be as I fully expect to get beat by Boston tomorrow...but this has been a much better team that the record it has. I do think they need to spread the offense out a bit and need to break up Domi/Stepan/Keller line...we need at least 2 lines that can score.

Which is another reason we should have kept Strome up and put him with two scorers. Still pisses me off.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I figured we'd muddle around early because of the easy schedule, even with the system/coaching turnover. After all even the historically bad Avs won 22 games somehow. Hockey's institutional parity is quite powerful.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
These are the main negatives I've seen in the games so far:
  • Complete lack of defensive structure
  • Inability to play a full 60 minutes
  • Little to no progress from game to game
On that last point, Game 4 was the first time they didn't look worse than they did the game before. Ultimately, that's what I'd like to see, whether they make the playoffs or not: progress. If they can look decent as a team for even most of the game against Boston, I'll feel a little optimistic.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Nine more games left this month and I think we'd be playing over our heads to win 4 of them. You're basically out of playoff contention after one month. It'll be a hard sell to get people to come watch this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad