Worst Stanley Cup Finals ever??

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The 7-game series between New Jersey and Anaheim was so boring that game 7 of that series had the highest TV rating in 30 years.

Pick one of the sweeps. 1998 is up there only because everyone knew the Caps didn't even belong on the ice with the Red Wings, same with 1996 - the Panthers were only in 1 game of the series and that was the 3OT clincher. At least 1997, it was interesting to watch the Flyers self-destruct unlike anyone else who got swept.

overg

Dec 15, 2003
Indianapolis, IN
Visit site
No, the NHL tried to cover it up afterward with a bogus explanation that nobody but them and the Dallas Start knew about.

I agree, that explanation was completely bogus. It may have somehow conceivably comported with the black letter rule as it then stood (although even the word "conceivably" might be generous), but the way it had actually been called all year long was: player in the crease before puck = no goal. Hell, I remember an empty net goal being waived off due to that rule. It was a terrible rule, but Buffalo got screwed hard by it being ignored in that instance.

Even though I'm a Red Wings fan, I'd agree that their win over the Capitals was probably the most anti-climatic finals I've seen. Other than for a brief period (in game 2?) when Tikkanen had the chance to complete a rally and tie the game, only to miss a wide open net, there was never any real doubt that the Wings would crush them. Which should have been obvious when the Capitals coach made their official mantra "it's a good day to lose." (swear on the Flying Spaghetti Monster, he did)

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
2003 was really that boring? Im a ducks fans but there were some hollywood moments in this series such as Niedermania, Giguere winning the Conn Smyth as the loser, Scott Stevens hit on Kariya and then Kariya returning and scoring the sweetest goal ever, game 3 and 4 both overtime thrillers so yeah, but I can see how two trapping teams in the finals may suck for other fans at times but it's the finals baby!!!

Sorry, that series was a trapfest of epic proportions.

sticknrink

Aug 17, 2006
London
Rangers-Canucks :sarcasm:

I'm kidding, I was too young to know how great the series was. I was just mad at the time cause New York won. :biglaugh:

Ronning whiffs on the open net and Lafayette hits the post all in the final 3 minutes to tie it up.

I tore up my Brian Leetch rookie card cause of that win when I was a kid.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Wings - Caps '98 was probably the most anti-climactic series I've ever seen to end a Stanley Cup playoffs.

Avs - Florida '96 at least had the multi-OT clincher, but that was another outright snooze fest. It's unfortunite because (as mentioned earlier) a Sakic/Forsberg vs Lemieux/Jagr/Francis matchup could have potentially been amazing.

Finest

Puck Fittsburg
May 15, 2006
Long Island
Has to be the Star's Sabres finals in what 1999, not because it was a bad series but because of the "controversy" that it sparked. I dont know it kind of made it jaded in a way, not a fitting ending thats for sure. By that I mean again the controverical win, not the cup winner. I have to be very carefull how I word things lol.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
2003 was a snoozefest, IMO. Other than the Stevens hit on Kariya, and him returning to score that goal, there wasn't any excitement in that series. I actually thought that entire playoffs was dull as hell and represented a lowpoint for defensive hockey.

Detroit-Washington was also boring because the teams were so mismatched.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
Last two seasons cup finals have been horrible. It can´t be other than horrible when it goes to 7 games, but are still disastrous lame. I blame this on Carolina and Tampa, the two franchises that shouldn´t be.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I would vote for '98 also. The Wings were flying high and the Caps were a fluke to get in. It was terrible

Ogopogo*

The 7-game series between New Jersey and Anaheim was so boring that game 7 of that series had the highest TV rating in 30 years.

A NY vs LA series in any sport gets great ratings in the US. No matter how many tuned in, the hockey still sucked. I suspect it had the lowest ratings in 30 years up in Canada.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
20 years...

Entertainment wise I thought the final was;

POOR in 1988, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2002

OK in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2003

GOOD in 1986, 1989, 1993, 2001, 2004, 2006

GREAT in 1987, 1994

Worst: 1998
Best: 1987

Muttley*

A NY vs LA series in any sport gets great ratings in the US. No matter how many tuned in, the hockey still sucked. I suspect it had the lowest ratings in 30 years up in Canada.

Let's be fair here. Actually, it was a Northern & Cental New Jersey vs. Orange County, CA series. If it truly was a "NY vs. LA" series, it would have been the New York Rangers vs. Los Angeles Kings series.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Pittsburgh-Chicago was a very boring one, in 1992...
But I totally agree, Detroit-Washingon was utterly boring..

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Completely off topic, I remember having this book as a kid:

0688150217.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Gardiner became one of my favourite goalies after reading it, because of that story.

HHAHAHA

i had that one, and the one on PLayers.

as for the Topic

1996 Panthers - Avs
1998 Caps - Red wings
1999 Sabres - Stars
2002 Canes - Red Wings
2003 Devils - Ducks

Couldnt get in to those ones. Especially 2002 and 03. i've only seen 96' on NHL network's recaps of the series, looked boring as hell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->