Worst NYR First Round pick since the lockout

• Total voters

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
200w.gif

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Kravtsov considering the Rangers pride themselves on character and work ethic and picked a player that had none of that. Talk about awful scouting. I had hopes McIlrath would be a Adam McQuaid type of dman at best and couldnt do that. Who knows if he never gotten hurt. Lias Andersson was another waste. No talent heart or work ethic. Thanks for Will Cuylle. He will be a better NHL player than Lias Andersson .

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I went with Andersson, because there was absolutely no upside to that pick. Even if he turned out to be an NHL player, he was at best bottom 6. Taking a guy #7 overall for that is beyond dumb.

McIrath was a stretch pick for a stay at home big hitting d-man. It was dumb too, but if it panned out, it would have been a better pick than Lias, even if Lias was an NHL caliber player.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I am surprised more are not saying Sanguinetti (sp?). I knew something was up when he didnt make the US World Jr team after being picked.

With McIlrath over Tarasenko, have to keep in mind that Russian players were falling. KHL, at the time, was seen as a legit threat to the NHL for European talent. Cherapanov fell to us for the same reason. But, yeah, could have had Fowler.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Anyone voting Andersson is either too young to remember McIlrath or has a personal vendetta against him.

I had fore knowledge the Rangers were taking McIlrath that year and still couldn't believe it when his name was called. This place was stunned that they didn't go with Cam Fowler. 80% of the board wanted Tarasenko but it was really borderline impossible they were going to go with another Russian after what happened with Alexei Cherepanov.

The pick was 100% a reaction to Marian Gaborik getting ragdolled against Philly and was 100% a Dolan pick.

Reactions: Shadowtron

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
It's McIlrath.

Universally panned by the NHL universe and this fanbase. I try my best to separate process from results in draft picks/trades and the process/logic of that pick was f***ing whack lol.
This.

Even Bobby Mac was laughing at the pick through his futile attempt at hyping "THA UNDERTAKA".

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Easily McIlraith. Ceiling was always as a 3rd pair defenseman and didnt show much even before the knee injury. Passed on many solid and great players for a player who had a Dale Purinton skill level (Purinton actually played more games and put up more points as a Ranger). One of many huge whiffs we made when drafting the "big, stay at home defenseman."

Honorable mention to Lias Andersson, but luckily we recopued Will Cuylle for him, so all isn't lost.

The Kravtsov pick was also atrocious, but at least he showed some upside with his KHL body of work.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
The fan reaction at the 2010 draft party after the McIlrath pick was hilarious, everyone was absolutely stunned after expecting Fowler. Fortunately the night wasn’t a total loss, as I got to chat with a young Kreids for a bit.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lafreniere and Kakko shouldnt even be options here, but the answer is Sanguinetti. 5 career games picked right before Giroux in an era where top center was exactly what we needed.

Reactions: Profet

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
McIlrath, and it isn't even remotely close. Every other guy was either the obvious choice or there were legitimate arguments for taking them where they did.
McIlrath was by far the worst 1st round pick of my adult lifetime. The board was screaming for Fowler or Tarasenko, and instead we go completely off the board to pick a guy ranked as a late first/early second round pick, because Gordie Clark had a hard-on for Shea Weber.

Kravstov is probably next for similar reasons. When you reach for a player with a Top-10 pick, you need to be really sure.

It's tempting to pick a guy like Lias, but he went right around where he was supposed to. The 7-15th ranked guys were all very tightly ranked. We just picked the wrong one.

Kakko and Laf aren't even worth considering. They're disappointments, but they went right at their consensus spot. It's why people rarely shit on Edmonton for picking Yakupov. Dude was the consensus #1 pick. Anyone would have picked him there. You can't call a pick "bad" just because a player busts.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
McIlrath. Literally drafted the guy for his fighting skills and physicality in the early-mid first round and went wildly off board to do so with . Um, yeah, you can find those things in an undrafted player.

Available at time of pick just from first 2 rounds: Cam Fowler, Jaden Schwartz, Tarasenko, Nick Bjugstad, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Charlie Coyle, Brock Nelson, Justin Faulk, Jon Merrill, Tyler Toffoli, Jason Zucker. Instead they drafted the least productive player out of the entire first round that wasn't a goale, Brandon Gormley, or Joey Hishon (and Hishon probably would've done better if not for injuries).

Dylan McIlrath is the obvious #1.

Lias Andersson is my #2. Rangers wanted Elias Pettersson and after he was taken off the board it was like the scouting team went, "well this kid's name is pretty close."
Reminds me of when the Oilers traded Taylor Hall to the Devils for Adam Larsson and everyone thought the Oilers thought they were getting Oliver Ekman-Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad