Worst players you've seen...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProctorSilex

I know there's been a lot, and a lot of them just played a game or two in the NHL. But as for people that basically had a full time job for at least a season?

Eric Lacroix - nepotism at it's finest.
Jiri Dopita - might be a Czech hero but he busted hard on my 2 favorite teams
Gino Odjick - might as well have put Mike Tyson on skates, at least he wouldn't have had a man crush on Pavel.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Martin "Vancouver's goaltending solution" Brochu - looks like a rag doll in net. Completely unfocused, jittery, nervous and just horrible.

ProctorSilex

and I have to say, Tommy Salo was incredibly painful to have in net here in Edmonton. That jerk once snubbed me in a bar when me and my boys offered him a drink and he was standing alone. Not to mention he let everything in when it mattered most.

Good riddance.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Salo, Lumme, Dopita? None of those players were great players in the league,but they are no where near the worst players I have ever seen.

Rocky Thompson
Dwane Hay
Enrico Circonni
Andrei Racicot

ProctorSilex

I'm not saying Salo didn't have his time, but the last 2 years in Edmonton, every shot on net my heart would drop (especially in the playoffs) because I expected it to go in. More often than not, I was right. Even shots from behind the net would somehow squeek in.

I'm sure all Swedish fans can agree.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Without a doubt....Carl Brewer's comeback attempt 1979-80

He did a lot of great things for the pension fund, and was a good player in his day but man WHAT WAS HE THINKING

ProctorSilex

I'm by no means old enough to remember but was Hardy Astrom as bad a goalie as Don Cherry said?

If he was, who the hell was his backup that made it to the NHL and was worse?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
ProctorSilex said:
I'm by no means old enough to remember but was Hardy Astrom as bad a goalie as Don Cherry said?

If he was, who the hell was his backup that made it to the NHL and was worse?

Naw I think it was a case of Don being Euro-phobic....

Colorado Rockies (79-80)

Player GP Min GA GAA W L T Svs Pct EN SO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill McKenzie 26.00 1342 78 3.49 9 12 3 0 0.000 1 1
Hardy Astrom 49.00 2574 161 3.75 9 27 6 0 0.000 3 0
Bill Oleschuk 12.00 557 39 4.20 1 6 2 0 0.000 0 0
Michel Plasse 6.00 327 26 4.77 0 3 2 0 0.000 0 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tidbit...the rockies later became the New Jersey Devils

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
Something about Brad Marsh that was almost physically painful to watch. The only way Marsh was EVER going to beat another player in a race is if he was given a headstart and dropped from a plane.

Slow as hell, but also very effective for a long time ...... and people say there was no clutching and grabbing during the 1980's :shakehead

ProctorSilex

crump said:
Naw I think it was a case of Don being Euro-phobic....

Colorado Rockies (79-80)

Player GP Min GA GAA W L T Svs Pct EN SO
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill McKenzie 26.00 1342 78 3.49 9 12 3 0 0.000 1 1
Hardy Astrom 49.00 2574 161 3.75 9 27 6 0 0.000 3 0
Bill Oleschuk 12.00 557 39 4.20 1 6 2 0 0.000 0 0
Michel Plasse 6.00 327 26 4.77 0 3 2 0 0.000 0 0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Tidbit...the rockies later became the New Jersey Devils

Thanks for the info man. I always wondered why if Don Cherry hated him so much, he never tossed in his backup. But I always suspected it was Euro-phobic on his part.

As for the Devils.. I knew that but thanks anyways.

PACaptain

Jul 4, 2005
Road to the Repeat
Every team has their own and in Pittsburgh, its Steve McKenna.

He is probably the worst player to ever wear the "C" in the NHL. It was only in one game and it was for the Hockey Fights Cancer charity so they could auction off the sweater, but the sight of Steve McKenna as the captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins made me physically sick.

Heck of a nice guy though, just a shame about his hockey (dis)abilities.

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
crump said:

He did a lot of great things for the pension fund, and was a good player in his day but man WHAT WAS HE THINKING

That was Imlach's fault. Carl Brewer was over 40 and hadn't played in the NHL in five seasons. I swear if Imlach were still around and running the Leafs they'd sign Wendel Clark to play D, which is about the equivalent of bring Carl Brewer back in 1979.

I don't think he was a bad player, but as an Oiler fan no visiting player was close to as bad as Murray Bannerman was against the old Oilers. He was just awful, real bad.

Ogopogo*

The Washington Capitals drafted Nolan Yonkman in the 2nd round back in '99.

I watched him play in Kelowna he was freaking terrible. The guy was an embarrassment every time he stepped on the ice. He couldn't pass, he couldn't shoot, his only asset was that he was 6'7".

George McPhee was quoted as saying "He has all the tools, he just has to learn to play the game a little bit" :biglaugh:

Size is not everything.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I'll give another vote for McKenna but my first thought when I read this was Jeff Odgers. I loved the guy and I would love to have him on my team for his heart and his fists but he had no hockey skills what so ever. Horrible skater, stone hands and huge huge heart that earned him the "C". Sorry Odgie!!!
I saw Dale Purinton play in the ECHL this year and he wasn't even good in that league. He was suspended a lot though so he didn't play many games in a row.
I guess none of those guys were in the NHL for their hockey skills though.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Carl Brewer was a complex person and was prone to do the unexpected.

He had quit the Leafs in September of 1965 and after a few comebacks decided for one last shot at the NHL. Brewer said, like a lot of players, that he always wanted to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs and had a burning desire to finish his career with the Leafs. That was one reason.

The other reason was monetary.

Its ironic that the GM (Punch Imlach) who brought him back in 1980 was the coach who drove Brewer away in 1965.

Imlach saw Brewer play in an Old-timer game and that's what convinced him to give Brewer a tryout. That doesn't reflect well on the Leaf defencemen who played on the team at that time and resented Brewer trying to take one of their jobs. So, the Leaf players (most of them controlled at the time by Alan Eagleson) decided to treat Brewer very horribly. They wouldn't pass him the puck in the game and they ran at him in practice. On one occasion, a Leaf defenceman (maybe Ian Turnbull) crashed Brewer's head into the goal post cutting him. Dave Hutchison kept running at Brewer as well.

The players also viewed Brewer as a spy for Imlach (which was absurd given Brewer's reputation for bucking the establishment).

I don't know what that tells you about that Leaf team but it probably further convinced Imlach to break up that bunch and trade them away. (We only hear the Leafs players opinions of the dismantling of the team but there is another side to it).

Although it was a crazy and desperate move to bring in a 40 year old player who hadn't played pro for years, it is also apparent that Brewer wasn't given a proper chance to do much in this 'comeback' attempt. After all, its pretty hard to play well if your teammates won't give you the puck.

And people wonder why Imlach grew so disenchanted with the Leaf team. That particular Leaf team was very close knit and under the leadership of Darryl Sittler. Personally, I don't think the situation with Brewer reflects very well with Sittler as a captain. Brewer's enmity at Eagleson at the time didn't help as Sittler and others were Eagleson clients and there may be some relationship there to the way Brewer was treated. At least, that was Brewer's opinion and I think has some merit.

So, I wouldn't be too hard on Brewer. He still had enough skills that he might not have looked so out of place but the situation with the team at the time (the players hating Imlach for one) made the 'comeback' attempt more difficult than it should have been.

I always say that there is always more to the story.

crump said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->