Worst picks from first rounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
As a Finn, I think that Teemu Riihijärvi (San Jose, 1. round 1995, #12) was a awful pick from San Jose. Teemu has no games in NHL and isn't good in Finnish Sm-league either.

Also Evgeny Ryabchikov (Boston, 1994, #21) was a bad pick when Theodore was drafted on second round, Hedberg and Vokoun on 9th(!) round.

I'm quite sure that there is much worse picks, but those two came in to my mind.

Hoffer

Dec 23, 2003
British Columbia
Scott Scissons

Scott Scissons 6th Pick by the New York Islanders in 1990. One of the deepest drafts ever. He played in Saskatoon for the Blades in the WHL, but never had what it took to be successful at the next level. He played one career NHL game I believe.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Faaxinho said:
As a Finn, I think that Teemu Riihijärvi (San Jose, 1. round 1995, #12) was a awful pick from San Jose. Teemu has no games in NHL and isn't good in Finnish Sm-league either.

Also Evgeny Ryabchikov (Boston, 1994, #21) was a bad pick when Theodore was drafted on second round, Hedberg and Vokoun on 9th(!) round.

I'm quite sure that there is much worse picks, but those two came in to my mind.

Pat Falloon #2 1991 worst pick in entry draft history....
Michel Riesen #14 1997

Alexandere Daigle #1 1993 huge disappointment

Bohologo

Apr 21, 2002
Tokyo
Visit site
I think it's a clear cut case of discrimination that nobody has mentioned legendary figures from the Oilers' drafting past, like Jason Bonsignore, Steve Kelly, and Michel Reisen [edit: whoops, I missed the early post-shame on me]. Jury is still out on the older Henrich....

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
look no further than the chicago blackhawks

Eric Lecompte
Dan Cleary
Ty Jones
Dmitri Nabokov
Ethan Moreau
Sergei Krivokrasov
Adam Bennett
Jimmy Waite

stanley

Feb 27, 2002
The Flyers selected Ryan Sittler (son of Darryl, not his other brother Darryl) with the seventh overall pick in 1992, and topped it off by taking Jason Bowen 15th overall. Granted, they had that whole Lindros trade thingy going on at the time, but it couldn't have seemed likely that one guy couldn't really do anything (Bowen) and the other couldn't keep up in the ECHL (Sittler).

Eh, it's a crapshoot.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
somewhere around 83, the whale chose sylain turgeon over one of either pat lafontaine, or steve yzerman. i have repressed the true knowledge from myself to help with the pain.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Some bad ones from Hab-land:

Brent Bilodeau --> never played 17th overall in 1991
Terry Ryan --> 8 games, & never played again 8th in 1995
Matt Higgins --> 3 pts in 57 games, 18th in 1996

just to name a few :D

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
X-SHARKIE said:
Patty Falloon put up 59 points his rookie year, Injuries diminshed him. He couldve been great, he had one great year as a rookie but after that it was downhill, I dont think he was the work pick of NHL entry draft history though.

Yeah, there's tons of guys who were worse picks than Falloon.

Mr_Hockeytown19

Nov 18, 2003
detroit
Visit site
worst picks

Faaxinho said:

fred williams detroit 4th overall 1976
kory kocur detroit 1988 17th
jonathan aitken boston 1996 8th
daniel tkaczuk calgary 6th 1997
brandon convery 8th toronto 1992

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Bohologo said:
I think it's a clear cut case of discrimination that nobody has mentioned legendary figures from the Oilers' drafting past, like Jason Bonsignore, Steve Kelly, and Michel Reisen [edit: whoops, I missed the early post-shame on me]. Jury is still out on the older Henrich....

The jury has decided... put Henrich on the list :p

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
i was going to comment on falloon, as well. he definitely could have been a pretty great NHLer, but i mean...if you're going to call him a bad pick, then Lindros is just as bad. Both had enormous skillsets that were somewhat ruined by injuries.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Flames

1991 - Niklas Sunblad 19th overall (0 points in 2 NHL games)
1993 - Jesper Mattsson 18th overall (0 NHL games, drafted between Jason Allison and Landon Wilson. Calgary somehow managed probably the worst first round pick in the best draft year ever.)
1997 - Daniel Tkaczuk 6th overall (11 points in 19 NHL games, but will he ever see the big leagues again?)

Other picks that haven't worked out according to draft position:

1994 - Chris Dingman 19th overall
1998 - Rico Fata 6th overall

littleD

These are always fun posts. :)

Daniel Tkaczuk - 6th overall, 1997, Calgary - 19 NHL games
Matt Zultek - 15th overall, 1997, Los Angeles - 0 NHL games
Mario Laroque - 16th overall, 1996, Tampa Bay - 5 NHL games
Jeff Brown - 22nd overall, 1996, NY Rangers - 0 NHL games
Terry Ryan - 8th overall, 1995, Montreal - 8 NHL games
Brad Church - 17th overall, 1995, Washington - 2 NHL games

The whole '94 draft was pretty sketchy. Some notable first round misses - Jason Bonsignore, Alexander Kharlamov, Evgeni Ryabchikov, Jeff Kealty, Yan Golubovsky, Chris Wells and Vadim Sharifijanov.

icarus

Mar 6, 2002
Kingston, ON
Visit site
Oiler94 said:
LOL, he's always the best rookie when I play NHL2003.

Tickle-me Elomo was a terrible addition for the Flames. They traded the pick they got from the Giguere trade for him in the second round (or was it the third) while the whole Saddledome was chanting 'Pett-in-ger' in hopes the Flames would draft the Hitmen player. He was drafted with the pick alright... by Washington.

FlyersFan10*

I can think of two Flyers' picks that were really bad. I forget the year they were drafted though. I think it was 92. Anyways, here they are:

Ryan Sittler
Jason Bowen

Ryan was drafted as a way to mend fences between the Flyers and the Sittler family. Too bad he isn't half the player that his sister is. As for Jason Bowen, he wasn't sure whether he was a defenseman or a left winger. Either way, he still sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->