Worst Game Developer of all time

BigMac1212

Registered Insominac
I nominate Digital Homicide as that dubious title. Why? Not only are their "games" worthless and poorly programs, not only were their PR relations the stuff that would give nightmares the jibblies, but they sue Jim *censored* Sterling Son, AND 100 anonymous Steam users and failed. They're still around, but they're in the business of selling Steam keys. (And doing poorly, from reports.) Their reputation is in the toilet and they shouldn't be seen in public again.

Do you have a company that can top them?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Theyre honestly small fries.

If you wanna talk about worst developers you gotta go back to pre internet days when it was actually possible to push that trash into the mass market.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
TBH...i dont even look at developers. Never have.

I buy games that people say are good, and usually they are lol.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Digital Homicide aren't real developers, so they shouldn't qualify.

TBH a lot of ****** decisions that end up ruining games or the perception of them are made by idiots with MBAs at the management level.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I don't know which one is the worsr but I simply cuss them out when their AI keeps kicking my ass.

"**** you, Ubisoft!"
"EA can't make good games for ****!"
"I've had it with these Capcom *******."

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Not sure about developer, but Acclaim was shorthand for '****ty games' during my youth in the 90s.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not sure about developer, but Acclaim was shorthand for '****ty games' during my youth in the 90s.

Acclaim made some good stuff. The first few years of All-Star Baseball were really good, They did early Burnout games, Extreme-G was a lot of fun, they were responsible for early Mortal Kombat and NBA Jam, the Genesis/SNES Spider-Man games were pretty good.

Yeah, there was a ton of garbage, but they hit on some pretty big positives too in their time.

Honestly, the "right" answer is going to be some indie dev that put out one or two absolute trash can fires before closing up shop, or one of those shifty Russian/Chinese devs that made a ton of garbage games because tax loopholes let them do it cheap and basically guarantee at least a small profit (like being the Uwe Boll of gaming)

How bout that company that made Big Rigs Racing?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
titus-logo.png

Digital Homicide and similar asset flippers are hardly game developers. They're con artists, nothing more. Titus was a full-fledged studio that both developed and published that even got the rights to ****ing Superman.

LJN is also deserving of their place in history as a symbol of misery...I'll just be a bit harsher on Titus for doing both the development and publishing side of things with games being their sole focus, while LJN was a toy company that farmed their **** out for as cheaply as possible. Nightmare fuel for my childhood for sure.

Last edited:

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006

they made some good games. mortal kombat, X-Men: Children of the Atom, WWF wrestlemania, Space jam, turok?

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

No way, they put out some great games in that era.
NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, Turok, a bunch of Simpsons games (Bart's Nightmare being my favorite), WWF Royal Rumble, WWF Attitude, WWF Wrestlemania, Crazy Taxi (PS2), Krusty's Fun House, Burnout,

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Let's be honest, if a large quantity of people are positive about at least one game that some company put out then they don't belong in the "worst developer" category. There are tons of devs who have only put out games that suck.

I think a better way to go about it is developers that were once awesome and now are bad.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No way, they put out some great games in that era.
NBA Jam, Mortal Kombat, Turok, a bunch of Simpsons games (Bart's Nightmare being my favorite), WWF Royal Rumble, WWF Attitude, WWF Wrestlemania, Crazy Taxi (PS2), Krusty's Fun House, Burnout,

NBA Jam: Midway
Mortal Kombat: Midway
Turok: Iguana
Simpsons: Those are all terrible, but were developed by many different companies (Bart's Nightmare by Sculptured; Krusty's Fun House by Fox Williams)
WWF Royal Rumble: Sculptured (published under the LJN arm)
WWF Attitude: Iguana West
WWF Wrestlemania: Bunch of games with this name, none developed by Acclaim (though the '95 console ports were published by them)
Crazy Taxi 2: Sega Hitmaker
Burnout: Critereon

Acclaim was a ****** publisher much moreso than a ****** developer. Their value was mostly constrained to publishing Midway's arcade games when Midway was dominating the arcades. Worth noting they owned LJN for the bulk of their reign of terror.

they made some good games. mortal kombat, X-Men: Children of the Atom, WWF wrestlemania, Space jam, turok?

Children of the Atom: Capcom
Space Jam: Sculptured (and legitimately awful)

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
If anybody calls Turok "good" again I'm going to roll my eyes hard enough to give myself a concussion.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If anybody calls Turok "good" again I'm going to roll my eyes hard enough to give myself a concussion.

Seriously awful games. Iguana Entertainment really does deserve a nod in this thread for those games, a metric **** ton of atrocious N64 sports games, the disastrous South Park N64 game, etc. Everything of value they had their hand on was a port, the games they developed from the ground up ranged from excruciatingly painful to just merely lousy.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
In terms of modern big name devs, I would say Ubisoft is the worst. They're greedy, they often release very broken games, they make terrible business decisions, and their games are average at best. I don't care if some of their games look amazing. If the game is just the same repetitive garbage over and over, it's not a good game. You know it's bad when the damn driving game they release also has tower climbing segments. Their entire game designs is about open world and climbing towers with very little game play in between.

EA, eh, I haven't had interest to play anything they've made in years. I kind of want to play Battlefield One but I'm probably going to have the same gripes I had with Battlefield 3 & 4. I just don't like the direction that franchise has gone. Nothing else they make really interests me.

As for good developers:

I would go with CD Projekt RED, they're the golden boy right now. The top developer spot is theirs to lose.

I also consistently like pretty much everything Square Enix pushes out. Sure, a lot of their games have flaws, but they're consistently at least good games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
In terms of modern big name devs, I would say Ubisoft is the worst. They're greedy, they often release very broken games, they make terrible business decisions, and their games are average at best. I don't care if some of their games look amazing. If the game is just the same repetitive garbage over and over, it's not a good game. You know it's bad when the damn driving game they release also has tower climbing segments. Their entire game designs is about open world and climbing towers with very little game play in between.

Ubisoft ****ed up Tetris... two years ago.

Hard to say when talking about all time for the moment I think that makes Ubisoft the winner here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
it has to be Ion Storm Dallas.

Zynga and King with their shovelware (and in may cases stolen) mobile games.

Color Dreams was the company that made all those ****** unlicensed NES games.

Accolade, the home of the god awful Bubsy series including Bubsy 3D

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

EA, eh, I haven't had interest to play anything they've made in years. I kind of want to play Battlefield One but I'm probably going to have the same gripes I had with Battlefield 3 & 4. I just don't like the direction that franchise has gone. Nothing else they make really interests me.

As for good developers:

I would go with CD Projekt RED, they're the golden boy right now. The top developer spot is theirs to lose.

I also consistently like pretty much everything Square Enix pushes out. Sure, a lot of their games have flaws, but they're consistently at least good games.

Rockstar is the best

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
WWFRoyalRumbleSNES.png

Among others.

I know that the AVGN has made fun of LJN a lot, but they definitely released some games I liked.

Funny that the Genesis version was Flying Edge (owned by Acclaim). LJN was known for being the licensing company. Just about every game they put out was a licensed property. If you go back to the NES days you'll find that just about every game that's based on a movie or TV franchise was put out by LJN.

BTW, T&C Wood & Water Rage was put out by LJN, great game. Even better was T&C II, Thrill'a Surfari. Classic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->