Worst finishing move

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
People saying Big Show... I don’t know. I think it’s pretty legit to assume you’d get knocked out if you took a punch from a guy that big.
I didn't hate it, but i did hate that he would punch the entire match and then suddenly (because he yells ARGGGGHHHHH and cocks his fist) that it's a finisher.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeah, if Big Show didn't throw punches all match his finisher would be so much more deadly and believable. But half the time he is punching dudes in the stomach, that should knock them down and keep them down if his "KO" punch is to be believable

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Ooooh. So many.

Rollins 'knee
Superman punch
kinshasa
Daniel Bryans running knee

Could write a book on this topic. :laugh:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finishers going back in time look worse than they were because we've advanced so far in however many years. A frog splash when RVD and Eddie Guerrero doing it, versus Kevin Owens and Seth Rollins doing it today, it's a completely different scope.

Seth's finisher sucks not because of the move, but because everyone knows Kenny Omega does it so much better, and Seth is trying to do that and he can't. The superplex-falcon arrow combination is one of the best looking things he does, but I realize it's such a long-developing maneuver that makes it hard to use as a finisher.

Alexa Bliss using a DDT in 2017 is absolutely ridiculous. The move looks fine as a good move for her, but her using it as a finisher frankly makes everyone look bad, which doesn't elevate her since it's such a standard move. Twisted Bliss/Sparkle Splash was fine, at least until she found something that was better. Kind of would like to see her use a submission, Alexa imploring someone to tap out is something that would be perfect for her.

Likewise Dean Ambrose, I never liked the Dirty Deeds, I even hate the name, too. I don't even like Bobby Roode using one as a finisher, but at least when he does it, it looks like it kills people. Otherwise, it's like if someone used a cravate as a submission.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think dirty deeds would be fine if he pulled it off better. The double arm DDT by Cactus Jack was pretty good stuff I thought. He made it look better than Ambrose does though.

I’ve also whined about the Owens frog splash not being a finisher for awhile. I think it’s ridiculous. He finally beat someone recently with it though I remember, and was happy about it.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I usually don't include comedic finishers but this is just as bad as the Samoan Spike

8CBLr.gif

Do we count intentionally awful finishers?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I know it's not a finisher but Jericho's bulldog has irked me for nearly two decades. I love him beside that but just hate the execution of it, looks awkward.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Big boot and a leg drop gets my vote for the worst finisher, brother.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I've always been a supporter of quick strike type finishers (Stunner, RKO, Rock Bottom), submission finishers(Yes Lock, Sharpshooter, Figure Four), and the build-up strike finishers(Sweet Chin Music, Running Knee, Kinshasa). I've never been a fan of DDT finishers or any slam variation finishers or the spear finishers. Those mostly look soft. Big Show's KO punch wasn't only stupid because he'd punch people in the gut and they were able to come back from it. It was also stupid because everyone else did it including guys of similar size to him so while you can make some form of a reasonable argument that because he's the world's largest athlete that it's different, it's still not going to be that much different that people are going to give a damn about it. They see it too much elsewhere for it to have the impact you want out of a finisher. I'd take Khali's chop to the head as a finisher before Big Show's KO punch just for that reason alone.

Today, I feel the worst finisher is Balor's coup de grâce. It's a nice concept but the impact is too soft for a finisher. If you can't do something like Neville's Red Arrow, a Phoenix Splash, a 450 splash, or a shooting star press, I don't really care for it.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think it would be easier to name finishers I liked rather than ones I didn’t.

The worst offenders IMO:

Bayley’s belly to belly
Any spear at all
Any DDT aside from the RamPaige
Skull Crushing Finale

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I've always been a supporter of quick strike type finishers (Stunner, RKO, Rock Bottom), submission finishers(Yes Lock, Sharpshooter, Figure Four), and the build-up strike finishers(Sweet Chin Music, Running Knee, Kinshasa). I've never been a fan of DDT finishers or any slam variation finishers or the spear finishers. Those mostly look soft. Big Show's KO punch wasn't only stupid because he'd punch people in the gut and they were able to come back from it. It was also stupid because everyone else did it including guys of similar size to him so while you can make some form of a reasonable argument that because he's the world's largest athlete that it's different, it's still not going to be that much different that people are going to give a damn about it. They see it too much elsewhere for it to have the impact you want out of a finisher. I'd take Khali's chop to the head as a finisher before Big Show's KO punch just for that reason alone.

Today, I feel the worst finisher is Balor's coup de grâce. It's a nice concept but the impact is too soft for a finisher. If you can't do something like Neville's Red Arrow, a Phoenix Splash, a 450 splash, or a shooting star press, I don't really care for it.

Im feeling, like im reading a highly sub-atom physics study. :) That means, i dont know, what is a:
- build-up strike finisher
- DDT finisher
- chop to the head
- Balor's coup de grâce
- Neville's Red Arrow, a Phoenix Splash, a 450 splash, or a shooting star press

Im not familiar with wrestling any more and English isn't my mature language.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
Im feeling, like im reading a highly sub-atom physics study. :) That means, i dont know, what is a:
- DDT finisher
- chop to the head
- Balor's coup de grâce

You don't know what a DDT is? Why are you even on this forum?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
- DDT finisher
- chop to the head
- Balor's coup de grâce

Pop up the examples on Youtube and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
- DDT finisher
- chop to the head
- Balor's coup de grâce

I used to hate Balor's coup de grace because it doesn't look like anything special but my brother in law, who's really not a big wrestling fan at all, talked me into liking it a lot. It's a simple looking move but when you think about it, it's a really devastating move. All that force landing on someone's chest from that high would cause some serious damage. I'm too much of a fan of flippy shit so I like crazy moves like the Phoenix Splash or whatever.

I was personally never a fan of the Bayley to Belly. It's just a regular move with no extra twist on it. At least the Dirty Deeds tucks the opponent's arms back unlike a regular DDT. And if the Superman Punch is even considered a finishing move, that definitely takes the cake for me. I'm willing to bet one would have more force in a punch with their feet grounded than while jumping. And at the end of the day it's just a punch.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cena and Hogan both had lame finishers that wouldn't hurt a fly!
When Hogan started using the leg drop, most finishers sucked by today's standards. Remember, this was before the DDT was even invented. Literally nobody had a good finisher by our current standards. Lots of bear hugs, and pile drivers. At least Hogan's was a bit different. He should have changed it eventually, but by then it was so over that he couldn't.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I used to hate Balor's coup de grace because it doesn't look like anything special but my brother in law, who's really not a big wrestling fan at all, talked me into liking it a lot. It's a simple looking move but when you think about it, it's a really devastating move. All that force landing on someone's chest from that high would cause some serious damage. I'm too much of a fan of flippy **** so I like crazy moves like the Phoenix Splash or whatever.

I was personally never a fan of the Bayley to Belly. It's just a regular move with no extra twist on it. At least the Dirty Deeds tucks the opponent's arms back unlike a regular DDT. And if the Superman Punch is even considered a finishing move, that definitely takes the cake for me. I'm willing to bet one would have more force in a punch with their feet grounded than while jumping. And at the end of the day it's just a punch.
I love the the coup de grace because it actually took awhile for me to figure out how he landed it without hurting people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad