Worst Euro pro league that pays a livable salary?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Appreciate it. Was always concerned with that, but seems, at least through my initial research, you just have to pay for tuition which is fine.

You should look into schools with NCAA D3 or even ACHA programs in the United States as well if CIS teams aren't going to give you a shot. The hockey is pretty good and you can get a degree while playing. A good number of these guys end up playing in Third-tier European leagues after.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
What if I don't care about making a living wage and just want to play some hockey and have a great experience? I played ACHA and i'm a 6'4'', 220lb center. I was looking at France 3rd Division (the lowest level), what other leagues in Europe might be worth checking out?

Generational

Mar 2, 2016
Edmonton
You should look into schools with NCAA D3 or even ACHA programs in the United States as well if CIS teams aren't going to give you a shot. The hockey is pretty good and you can get a degree while playing. A good number of these guys end up playing in Third-tier European leagues after.

Seeing as you're Canadian I'd recommend a CCAA program, particularly an ACAC team. NAIT is a great option as it's easy to get into and their program is fantastic. Augustana would also be a good option as you get a University of Alberta degree while attending and playing for their Augustana campus in Camrose (like 40 min outside Edmonton).

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
The worst league to make decent money in Europe? Its not that difficult to answer!

Depending what you class as Europe

Turkey would be the winner.

If Turkey isn't on your list then

Spain is your winner.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The worst league to make decent money in Europe? Its not that difficult to answer!

Depending what you class as Europe

Turkey would be the winner.

If Turkey isn't on your list then

Spain is your winner.

How much do you make in either of those leagues?

And is it really 'decent' money? It might be 'livable' as a lot of European leagues pay for housing, but it surely can't be comfortable, can it?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
How much do you make in either of those leagues?

And is it really 'decent' money? It might be 'livable' as a lot of European leagues pay for housing, but it surely can't be comfortable, can it?

If you are talking "Worst Euro league but get paid a livable wage" then it gets more difficult as to what classes as a decent wage.

In Spain an English player, good at lower level English leagues went for a season. He was probably earning £200 per week maximum before he left for Spain and probably not more in Spain.

Id give the title to the Romanian teams/league. Especially the ones that play in the Hungarian MOL Liga. Compared with the cost of living in Romanian you'd be able to live on your hockey wage as an import Im sure as you'd have free housing and probably a free car for your stay included. A few hundred pounds per week salary to a couple of imports to boost their talent level.

Dec 13, 2010
Sorry to shatter any hopes and dreams, I don't see how it'd be worth it to play hockey for a living unless you're making at least in the multiple hundreds of thousands. Your career will last a max of 15-20 years and then you'll finish playing and have no career to build upon until retirement age. Then you'll be stuck working some BS job somewhere just trying to make ends meet.

Not really the point..I have friends who played NCAA and went on to play in places like France, Italy, Czech Republic, etc. etc. and while they didn't come home with much (or anything) in savings they wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

If you're good enough to make it work, go enjoy it while you can. Put your degree to work when you're done.

Not sure if you're still looking Radim but I've had friends who went over to places like England and got their degree while playing part-time in lower level leagues. Fun way to play "pro" hockey in another country where you speak the language while earning your degree and making a few bucks here and there.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
How is France 2 (thinking about Francais Volantes). My mens league team has a player who is currently playing in Ligue Magnus who skates with us during the off season. He is obviously better than me, but this is a few leagues down and I have a place to live in Paris.

BobbyStokers9713

Mar 23, 2016
How is France 2 (thinking about Francais Volantes). My mens league team has a player who is currently playing in Ligue Magnus who skates with us during the off season. He is obviously better than me, but this is a few leagues down and I have a place to live in Paris.

Hey guys. I am a Canadian player who just finished junior. My dad was born in Croatia and for that reason I am in the process of getting my Croatian passport. I have been speaking with the Zagreb team who just announced they are moving back to the EBEL league from the KHL. If I was to make the roster, how much money could I be making? Thanks for the reply in advance.

ZT

Jun 19, 2015
Croatia
Hey guys. I am a Canadian player who just finished junior. My dad was born in Croatia and for that reason I am in the process of getting my Croatian passport. I have been speaking with the Zagreb team who just announced they are moving back to the EBEL league from the KHL. If I was to make the roster, how much money could I be making? Thanks for the reply in advance.

Did you play Major Junior?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
It's listed in one place as 25,000 but I've definitely encountered lower figures through the grapevine. Also, Zagreb doesn't have a great reputation for paying out salaries. It might be an interesting adventure either way though.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Sorry to shatter any hopes and dreams, I don't see how it'd be worth it to play hockey for a living unless you're making at least in the multiple hundreds of thousands. Your career will last a max of 15-20 years and then you'll finish playing and have no career to build upon until retirement age. Then you'll be stuck working some BS job somewhere just trying to make ends meet.
Ah, that sounds like a normal IT career :D

Reactions: iamjs

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Here's an idea for all you under-31 Canadian lads, do an Australian working holiday. Skip winter and arrive for AIHL recruiting Dec-March. If you make a team, awesome. If not, the main cities all have multiple rinks so there'll be organised hockey to get in on. You'll be able to get work, and finding a room in a flat won't be too hard. Even if you just end up flipping burgers at Maccas, you'll earn at least $18/hr (CAD/AUD almost on par) and be close to the beach.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Britain must be a pretty poor league in comparison, but I doubt the wages are too bad?

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Britain must be a pretty poor league in comparison, but I doubt the wages are too bad?
The EIHL definitely isn't a top league in Europe but it is good standing.

I'd say the EIHL is on par if not better than the Danish Metal Ligaen, though the Danes focus strongly on domestic players rather than the EIHL's focus on imports. It's better than the French Ligue Magnus.

If I had to rank European Leagues, excluding the KHL;

SHL
Liiga
NLA
DEL
Czech Extraliga
Allsvenskan
Slovakian Extraliga
NLB
Mestis
EBEL
Norwegian GET Ligaen
DEL2
Kazakhstani League
Belarusian Extraleague
EIHL
Danish Metal Ligaen
French Ligue Magnus
Polish Hockey League
Hungarian Erste Liga
AlpsHL
Latvian League
Ukrainian Hockey League

Then obviously you have the real bottom end leagues, like the Spanish, Turkish, other Eastern European leagues.

So imo, I'd say the EIHL is an average European League, but it's getting much better. It should be noted that pretty much every league in the list besides the EIHL focuses on domestic players before imports.

Pay in the EIHL I believe is between $15,000 and $80,000 per season. Plus benefits. University education will be offered to some players. Accommodation, transportation, gym membership is all provided too.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
The EIHL definitely isn't a top league in Europe but it is good standing.

I'd say the EIHL is on par if not better than the Danish Metal Ligaen, though the Danes focus strongly on domestic players rather than the EIHL's focus on imports. It's better than the French Ligue Magnus.

If I had to rank European Leagues, excluding the KHL;

SHL
Liiga
NLA
DEL
Czech Extraliga
Allsvenskan
Slovakian Extraliga
NLB
Mestis
EBEL
Norwegian GET Ligaen
DEL2
Kazakhstani League
Belarusian Extraleague
EIHL
Danish Metal Ligaen
French Ligue Magnus
Polish Hockey League
Hungarian Erste Liga
AlpsHL
Latvian League
Ukrainian Hockey League

Then obviously you have the real bottom end leagues, like the Spanish, Turkish, other Eastern European leagues.

So imo, I'd say the EIHL is an average European League, but it's getting much better. It should be noted that pretty much every league in the list besides the EIHL focuses on domestic players before imports.

Pay in the EIHL I believe is between $15,000 and $80,000 per season. Plus benefits. University education will be offered to some players. Accommodation, transportation, gym membership is all provided too.
Thanks for that. I think the problem is that interest in hockey in Britain is largely non-existent. Even kids who are interested in the sport don't really have anywhere to play because there's no training or kids leagues. I guess they have to focus on imports or there just wouldn't be enough players otherwise. It probably doesn't even qualify as a fringe sport. It's a massive shame really.

GBHockey

Jun 2, 2018
Thanks for that. I think the problem is that interest in hockey in Britain is largely non-existent. Even kids who are interested in the sport don't really have anywhere to play because there's no training or kids leagues. I guess they have to focus on imports or there just wouldn't be enough players otherwise. It probably doesn't even qualify as a fringe sport. It's a massive shame really.
I completely agree and it's a sad thing to think about.

There aren't enough ice rinks and all ice rinks favour public skating events over ice hockey lessons and training. Then there's all of the figure skating, curling and speed skating which also eats away at available ice time.

These days I think most kids are lucky to get an hour session twice a week max, and that tends to be organised and run by kids' parents or semi-professional players looking to make a few extra quid. Varies upon location of course but considering juniors in Scandinavia tend to get a few hours ice time per day, with proper systems in place for off ice training, reputable coaches with vast experience, very well structured junior leagues and progression.. It's no surprise that the UK is completely stuck at the bottom of a pit.

The British Junior Leagues are quite awful. u15, u18 and u20's. 20 games per 'season' in the Juniors which isn't enough. Most of the decent quality youngsters end up playing in both their regular age group and the one above, because they play so few games and need the ice time if they want to develop. They are usually more than good enough too as well which takes away the challenge you'd generally associate with a 14 year old playing against 18 years olds. More often than not each age group will have one or two teams which will just obliterate the others. Cardiff Devils u15's is a prime example, they play in the u15's D1 South. They're one of the junior teams for the reigning double champions, in the season just gone they won 1 out of 20 and conceded 204 goals to the 25 that they scored. Chelmsford, Guildford and Slough battled well for the title with only 5pts separating them. But after the top few, the rest are absolutely miles off the pace. It's the same in the u18's too, Bracknell Drones in the u18 D1 South also had just 1 win in 20, conceding 145 and scoring 55, whilst Okanagan led the division with 18 wins, 1 loss, scoring 158 over the 20 games.

Once these kids have aged out of the u20's, the only places for them to continue playing and developing is NIHL2, NIHL or the EIHL. Universities have their leagues but the quality is quite poor and the gap between decent teams and not so good teams is horrendous.

Junior development in the UK is a lottery in its current state. Liam Kirk is the abnormality in the system. How he has developed to become an NHL Draftee is incredible but shocking, never in a million years would people think the current state of British Juniors would be able to produce such a capable player.

EIHL teams must join forces with an NIHL team, and together they need to be the parent teams of junior teams which are both funded and coached by the parent clubs. Cardiff Devils u15's getting absolutely mullered is ridiculous. The EIHL cannot survive on imports along for the long run. We need British players, we need good quality British players for both the domestic side and the international side. I'm glad there's a fair few kids jumping over to North America and Scandinavia to boost their development but I hope to see one day in the future, a clean cut, good quality development system in our own nation.

Sadly it does usually come down to funding and there are very very few people who are willing to invest in ice hockey in the UK. I hope that changes but I'm not holding my breath. We need to use the inspiration of Liam Kirk to just say, 'to hell with all the politics' and go all in on creating good junior development systems.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

For a island, where are EIHL, EPIHL, NIHL, NIHL 2, SNL im a little surprised about this.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I completely agree and it's a sad thing to think about.

There aren't enough ice rinks and all ice rinks favour public skating events over ice hockey lessons and training. Then there's all of the figure skating, curling and speed skating which also eats away at available ice time.

These days I think most kids are lucky to get an hour session twice a week max, and that tends to be organised and run by kids' parents or semi-professional players looking to make a few extra quid. Varies upon location of course but considering juniors in Scandinavia tend to get a few hours ice time per day, with proper systems in place for off ice training, reputable coaches with vast experience, very well structured junior leagues and progression.. It's no surprise that the UK is completely stuck at the bottom of a pit.

The British Junior Leagues are quite awful. u15, u18 and u20's. 20 games per 'season' in the Juniors which isn't enough. Most of the decent quality youngsters end up playing in both their regular age group and the one above, because they play so few games and need the ice time if they want to develop. They are usually more than good enough too as well which takes away the challenge you'd generally associate with a 14 year old playing against 18 years olds. More often than not each age group will have one or two teams which will just obliterate the others. Cardiff Devils u15's is a prime example, they play in the u15's D1 South. They're one of the junior teams for the reigning double champions, in the season just gone they won 1 out of 20 and conceded 204 goals to the 25 that they scored. Chelmsford, Guildford and Slough battled well for the title with only 5pts separating them. But after the top few, the rest are absolutely miles off the pace. It's the same in the u18's too, Bracknell Drones in the u18 D1 South also had just 1 win in 20, conceding 145 and scoring 55, whilst Okanagan led the division with 18 wins, 1 loss, scoring 158 over the 20 games.

Once these kids have aged out of the u20's, the only places for them to continue playing and developing is NIHL2, NIHL or the EIHL. Universities have their leagues but the quality is quite poor and the gap between decent teams and not so good teams is horrendous.

Junior development in the UK is a lottery in its current state. Liam Kirk is the abnormality in the system. How he has developed to become an NHL Draftee is incredible but shocking, never in a million years would people think the current state of British Juniors would be able to produce such a capable player.

EIHL teams must join forces with an NIHL team, and together they need to be the parent teams of junior teams which are both funded and coached by the parent clubs. Cardiff Devils u15's getting absolutely mullered is ridiculous. The EIHL cannot survive on imports along for the long run. We need British players, we need good quality British players for both the domestic side and the international side. I'm glad there's a fair few kids jumping over to North America and Scandinavia to boost their development but I hope to see one day in the future, a clean cut, good quality development system in our own nation.

Sadly it does usually come down to funding and there are very very few people who are willing to invest in ice hockey in the UK. I hope that changes but I'm not holding my breath. We need to use the inspiration of Liam Kirk to just say, 'to hell with all the politics' and go all in on creating good junior development systems.

All good points and very well said. Liam Kirk is definitely an abnormality, but I kinda do expect him to just disappear and end up playing in the UK again before long. You tend to think he'll get over there, find the players he's playing against so much more developed, so much quicker at everything and kind of get a bit overwhelmed. I'd love him to do well, really love it, but if he manages to hold his own even in the OHL when you compare his 'grass roots' development opportunities to theirs, it will be no small miracle.

If you look at the British born players in the NHL like Brendan Perlini, they moved over to North America at a really young age to get their development. Perlini doesn't even sound English anymore.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Play for a living in Suomi-sarja?? No way man, you can barely live with Mestis salaries.

I just read that one Mestis team's (Rovaniemen Kiekko) player budget for upcoming season is 100,000 euro's. I doubt they could pay salaries which anyone could get by, its more small compensation of the time and effort rather than an athlete's wage.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I just read that one Mestis team's (Rovaniemen Kiekko) player budget for upcoming season is 100,000 euro's. I doubt they could pay salaries which anyone could get by, its more small compensation of the time and effort rather than an athlete's wage.

Question: How much you need in Finland (monthly) to live? And how much do they pay in Mestis?

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Question: How much you need in Finland (monthly) to live? And how much do they pay in Mestis?
Now that that all the top organisations from Mestis (Jukurit, KooKoo and Sport) are all in the Liiga, the vast majority of Mestis teams are only semi pro, meaning that the players study/have a part time job. Top players of top teams get pretty much what the lowest salariers in Finland are and most get even lower than that, heh. But everyone in Finland gets what you need to get to have a decent life. If you earn like 500 euros or so you pretty much get another 500 euros in wellfares. With 1000 euros (~1300 USD..?) you can lead a life worthy of living, but to be able to actually go out and eat outside every now and then and have a car and so on, 2000 euros net is what you need to earn and most of the Mestis players dont even earn that much. So basicly in order to be a Mestis player you either have to absolutely LOVE the game or be a prospect that can some day make it to Liiga. Mestis is not a sustainable career choice.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006

To give an indication, average income is around 28K euro per year and it's taxed approx. 18-22%. If a person earns 1,190 euro's a month (or roughly less than 15K a year) after taxes he or she is per definition consider as poor per Finnish official standards.

How much you can get by is another question and depends on where you live. 500 euro's rent can get you a decent living arrangements in Iisalmi, while for that same amount you'd be hard pressed to find anything but a room in Helsinki area.

How much Mestis teams will pay I have no idea. Since Liiga offers no promotion or relegation there's no other initiative for teams to succeed than winning the Mestis championship trophy. In practice its nothing more than bragging rights and could be connected to the fact that reigning champion hails from Keuruu, which has less than 10,000 inhabitants and on average 8 persons per square kilometer.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Maybe it will be useful for someone: there was a material recently that depicted Ferencvarosi TC, the Erste Liga champions. It says that the average monthly salary is around 3k Euro, and all players have been strictly pro for several years at least.

Their leading scorer Gergö Nagy, who has 8 AHL games and a PPG ECHL season. Their highest scoring import is Brett Switzer, who has a near-PPG NCAA career. Their import defensemen all used to be Liiga regulars (and the worst teams' imports, whose salaries are likely way lower, are lower tier players of serious Euro leagues).

I'm not an expert on the quality of Euro leagues, but I don't know if there are any weaker ones with livable salaries =)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad