Worst Euro pro league that pays a livable salary?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
In Sweden maybe the top clubs (like 3 or 4) in tier 3 could pay you a salary you can live on. Most teams tier 3 will only pay you like perhaps enough for the appartment rent. Some will pay nothing except the actual equipment.

loppa*

Why are we aiming so high? Why not aim even lower for other pro leagues, such as the MOL league, or even several notches lower, such as the Slovenian / Croatian / Serbian leagues?

When low balling, lets seriously low ball. Lol.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Why are we aiming so high? Why not aim even lower for other pro leagues, such as the MOL league, or even several notches lower, such as the Slovenian / Croatian / Serbian leagues?

When low balling, lets seriously low ball. Lol.

Was going to say that. Logically, cheaper countries should be prioritized. I guess you can be a hockey player in UK but the money you earn would probably do just nothing. On the other hand, countries like Hungary or Ukraine may work, since they are also much much cheaper than Canada, UK or Sweden. Though I am not sure how good Hungary MOL, Ukraine and Poland leagues.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Mike Danton played a stint for Kramfors-Alliansen in the (then) 5th division in Sweden. Apparently they got him an apartment and payed him a working class fee. Some friends of mine have played for them and most players don't get anything close to a liveable wage though.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Mike Danton played a stint for Kramfors-Alliansen in the (then) 5th division in Sweden. Apparently they got him an apartment and payed him a working class fee. Some friends of mine have played for them and most players don't get anything close to a liveable wage though.

Don't you mean the third division? It says Division 1 in his statistics.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Don't you mean the third division? It says Division 1 in his statistics.

Yeah my bad, they were actually in the third when he played for them. Albeit, even Division 1 can almost be counted as several divisions since it has almost 50 teams.

Keram

Jan 16, 2016
What about czech3 league (druha liga) guys? It is pro league? Slovakia3 certainly is not. Slovakia 2 is semi pro. Even slovak liga is hard to consider pro in some aspects :cry: But level of play is quite good in slovak leagues. Slovakia3 is not beer league level in my opinion. However that guys play it because of love to hockey.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
What about czech3 league (druha liga) guys? It is pro league? Slovakia3 certainly is not. Slovakia 2 is semi pro. Even slovak liga is hard to consider pro in some aspects :cry: But level of play is quite good in slovak leagues. Slovakia3 is not beer league level in my opinion. However that guys play it because of love to hockey.

It's semi-professional.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
This seemed like the thread to put this in so here goes,

I am planning on continuing my Hockey Career post junior (I played Junior B) While I didnt excactly light it up as defenseman, I was used as a shutdown dman and was excellent at moving the puck. Talking to my coach he said it is likely that I will have to go semi pro first (he suggested Australia) Im just curious what you guys think who have a much deeper understanding of the skill levels of the leagues in Europe.

tl;dr

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=231473
Where could I play? ALso 6'0 foot now haha

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Your brain will probably implode for hearing this, but Finland actually has seven tiers. #3 is probably the lowest though where you could play for a living.

Play for a living in Suomi-sarja?? No way man, you can barely live with Mestis salaries. Suomi-sarja teams can only afford to pay for equipment traveling etc. And top teams top players get some salary but nothing to live solely with.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki

I am planning on continuing my Hockey Career post junior (I played Junior B) While I didnt excactly light it up as defenseman, I was used as a shutdown dman and was excellent at moving the puck. Talking to my coach he said it is likely that I will have to go semi pro first (he suggested Australia) Im just curious what you guys think who have a much deeper understanding of the skill levels of the leagues in Europe.

tl;dr

Yeah it think Austrailian league is only summer league. Dunno about the level of your junior league but maybe u could try something like France3?

I think that is considered semi-pro. At least there is some imports , so they must pay something.
Now that i started to check it out the Canadians in the league (all from Quebec) mostly played in QCHL. So how does that compare to league you played in?

Last edited:

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury

tl;dr

Australia may be an option but could still be a challenge. A buddy of mine plays out there and he was a 20+Pt defenseman in the NAHL and played NCAA and he's nothing more than a 4-5-6 D out there. Teams can only have 6 imports and only 4 can dress per-game so most imports have either played high-end Jr (BCHL, AJHL, NAHL, USHL) or NCAA hockey... It won't be easy but you can contact General Managers from each team right from their website. I'd look into France3 probably.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Yeah it think Austrailian league is only summer league. Dunno about the level of your junior league but maybe u could try something like France3?

I think that is considered semi-pro. At least there is some imports , so they must pay something.
Now that i started to check it out the Canadians in the league (all from Quebec) mostly played in QCHL. So how does that compare to league you played in?

PIJHL for what it is, is a pretty good league. It is one of the top junior b leagues in Canada (only Ontario is better I believe)

But would go PIJHL<BCHL<WHL, although the top teams in the pjhl could compete in the BCHL for sure, just don't have the same depth quality.

I will definetly look into those places though thanks

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
PIJHL for what it is, is a pretty good league. It is one of the top junior b leagues in Canada (only Ontario is better I believe)

But would go PIJHL<BCHL<WHL, although the top teams in the pjhl could compete in the BCHL for sure, just don't have the same depth quality.

I will definetly look into those places though thanks
I hope you're not still 146 pounds.

Have you thought of college, CIS maybe? If your intent on playing semi-pro next I don't think you should be asking us where you should go but asking yourself what part of the world you want to see. Want to see the Eiffel Tower? try France 3. Like a Baltic Climate? There's Latvia 2. Prefer desert climate? There's a league in Turkey. If the people who are financing you are cool with you going anywhere, then literally go wherever you've always wanted to go or where you'll enjoy yourself the most. The reality is wherever you go the difference in the amount of allowance or stipends you are given will not be enough to make one league a clear cut choice over another, so be you and pick where you want to go based on where you've always wanted to be.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014

Have you thought of college, CIS maybe? If your intent on playing semi-pro next I don't think you should be asking us where you should go but asking yourself what part of the world you want to see. Want to see the Eiffel Tower? try France 3. Like a Baltic Climate? There's Latvia 2. Prefer desert climate? There's a league in Turkey. If the people who are financing you are cool with you going anywhere, then literally go wherever you've always wanted to go or where you'll enjoy yourself the most. The reality is wherever you go the difference in the amount of allowance or stipends you are given will not be enough to make one league a clear cut choice over another, so be you and pick where you want to go based on where you've always wanted to be.

No I have definetly put on enough weight haha. I appreciate the honesty and the advice

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara

LChyhHe.png

Desert climate in Turkey? Do you also think we ride camels? Well, thanks to the uneducated people and the horrid government, we are now duly considered as a Middle East country where there is no day without bombing; yet geographically, Turkey has nothing to do with desert or anything like that. In fact, there are many cities where winter temperatures reach -30 C and it is no exception.

About the league... I guess Reece never ever thought of playing ice hockey in Turkey and he should keep it this way. You earn almost nothing and the league is not competitive. Nobody watches it either. Go beg for a few hours on streets and you'll make more than an ice hockey player - most foreigners in Turkish league are just students or people somehow moved in here for a job or their girlfriends etc and even though they are "professionals", they play recreationally. While we are getting better and better in ice hockey, Turkey is still not a place to go if you want to "earn" for what you do.

Aside from that in general, anyone willing to come here for any reason should be examined by a team of psychologists. Sure, kebab is fine but you do not risk your life for it, right?

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
Is Germany3 equivalent to high division beer league in Canada haha?

Here's an interesting question. Where does Canadian university hockey rank in relation to the Euro leagues?

These are the best Canadian players in Germany3.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13838
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=39753
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=38353
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=49398

How would you rank these players? Would they play beer league in Canada?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
LChyhHe.png

Desert climate in Turkey? Do you also think we ride camels? Well, thanks to the uneducated people and the horrid government, we are now duly considered as a Middle East country where there is no day without bombing; yet geographically, Turkey has nothing to do with desert or anything like that. In fact, there are many cities where winter temperatures reach -30 C and it is no exception.

About the league... I guess Reece never ever thought of playing ice hockey in Turkey and he should keep it this way. You earn almost nothing and the league is not competitive. Nobody watches it either. Go beg for a few hours on streets and you'll make more than an ice hockey player - most foreigners in Turkish league are just students or people somehow moved in here for a job or their girlfriends etc and even though they are "professionals", they play recreationally. While we are getting better and better in ice hockey, Turkey is still not a place to go if you want to "earn" for what you do.

Aside from that in general, anyone willing to come here for any reason should be examined by a team of psychologists. Sure, kebab is fine but you do not risk your life for it, right?
Haha, sorry, it's true I'm not that informed about life in turkey. I know that you have around the 10th largest military in terms of force projection (though imo not defense) and I know you don't like Russia. Istanbul, close to where Troy once was, part of NATO, but no I didn't know the climate you're right. I'm googling and it says a hot Mediterranean climate and something about cool wet winters.

No I have definetly put on enough weight haha. I appreciate the honesty and the advice
No problem. I feel like a few years of college hockey may seem like a waste of time, but if you can punch your way into a CIS program it is a real resume booster plus a degree. There was a kid who was a point per 3 or 4 games in the CIS who got a deal in Austria's top league (straight CIS to EBEL), very livable salary (ballpark 50-80k) plus a company car and housing (standard in European top leagues). A lot of the better CIS kids get ECHL deals and once you have pro-American hockey experience you have an easier time getting into the top leagues in other countries. Just anything to enhance your resume for GMs really helps. The degree also isn't bad if you can get a scholarship. Best of luck no matter what though, best of luck.

Last edited:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Sorry to shatter any hopes and dreams, I don't see how it'd be worth it to play hockey for a living unless you're making at least in the multiple hundreds of thousands. Your career will last a max of 15-20 years and then you'll finish playing and have no career to build upon until retirement age. Then you'll be stuck working some BS job somewhere just trying to make ends meet.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Sorry to shatter any hopes and dreams, I don't see how it'd be worth it to play hockey for a living unless you're making at least in the multiple hundreds of thousands. Your career will last a max of 15-20 years and then you'll finish playing and have no career to build upon until retirement age. Then you'll be stuck working some BS job somewhere just trying to make ends meet.

No worries, realistically I would like to play to see the world a little bit and study in the summer so that when I retire I would have a little bit to fall back on, I guess I feel I have to give it a legit shot just so i'm not asking myself in 15-29 what if?

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
No problem. I feel like a few years of college hockey may seem like a waste of time, but if you can punch your way into a CIS program it is a real resume booster plus a degree. There was a kid who was a point per 3 or 4 games in the CIS who got a deal in Austria's top league (straight CIS to EBEL), very livable salary (ballpark 50-80k) plus a company car and housing (standard in European top leagues). A lot of the better CIS kids get ECHL deals and once you have pro-American hockey experience you have an easier time getting into the top leagues in other countries. Just anything to enhance your resume for GMs really helps. The degree also isn't bad if you can get a scholarship. Best of luck no matter what though, best of luck.

Yeah your right, it was shortsighted to not include college programs, I will defiently look into those as well, would be a good springboard to Europe. Do you know if they (CIS) is pay to play?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
Yeah your right, it was shortsighted to not include college programs, I will defiently look into those as well, would be a good springboard to Europe. Do you know if they (CIS) is pay to play?
Do you mean you pay them or they pay you? Because CIS is college it's not pay to play but pay to study. Each hockey program is allowed 14 scholarships, but those players are the players that are recruited. This is the part where my knowledge I more football-based than anything. In football we have 2 types of "walk-ons." "Preferred walk-ons" are referred by their coaches, and "tryout walk-ons" have to go through a tryout. You can always contact a school though their website, I don't know if CIS schools do the same system however. I'm also sure there are tryouts, however those you'll have to do even more research on because they're never very well publicized (this is intentional). You'll need to look into a lot of the exact details yourself, unless you want to walk onto a football team then I could give you more exact details haha, but talk to your coach about it and see if he can do a reference for you and find out the specifics for each school you might consider as well as general CIS information. It's a lot of research I know but you want to know you've considered everything there is to consider before you make any decisions.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Do you mean you pay them or they pay you? Because CIS is college it's not pay to play but pay to study. Each hockey program is allowed 14 scholarships, but those players are the players that are recruited. This is the part where my knowledge I more football-based than anything. In football we have 2 types of "walk-ons." "Preferred walk-ons" are referred by their coaches, and "tryout walk-ons" have to go through a tryout. You can always contact a school though their website, I don't know if CIS schools do the same system however. I'm also sure there are tryouts, however those you'll have to do even more research on because they're never very well publicized (this is intentional). You'll need to look into a lot of the exact details yourself, unless you want to walk onto a football team then I could give you more exact details haha, but talk to your coach about it and see if he can do a reference for you and find out the specifics for each school you might consider as well as general CIS information. It's a lot of research I know but you want to know you've considered everything there is to consider before you make any decisions.

Appreciate it. Was always concerned with that, but seems, at least through my initial research, you just have to pay for tuition which is fine.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014

On those lower leagues, how would you get in contact, I am having trouble finding emails for them, would you know where I could find contact info for them to send player resumes for?

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
On those lower leagues, how would you get in contact, I am having trouble finding emails for them, would you know where I could find contact info for them to send player resumes for?
Yeah for the first one it's as I was saying, you pay for the education haha, unless you're one of the 14 recruited scholly players. For NCAA I think it's a little more, don't remember.

Most club websites have a contact page. Find by club then go to contact page.
http://mahc.fr/?page_id=40
Obviously representation helps, definitely an agent could get you some sort of a gig but those aren't free. I'm not sure of the rest of the specifics maybe someone else here knows more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad