Worst Euro pro league that pays a livable salary?

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Since there are always people asking about pro leagues in Europe, their salaries and skill levels, let's attempt to answer the question once and for all.

What is the lowest skill pro legue out there where a player could go earn a decent salary? I say Europe but I suppose the Asian leagues should also be considered.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Since there are always people asking about pro leagues in Europe, their salaries and skill levels, let's attempt to answer the question once and for all.

What is the lowest skill pro legue out there where a player could go earn a decent salary? I say Europe but I suppose the Asian leagues should also be considered.

What asian leagues? :laugh:

Is this another "I'm canadian but terrible, but I figured I could make a living playing with scrubs because clearly european leagues suck" thread we've seen 100 times before?

Reactions: Cucumber

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Is this another "I'm canadian but terrible, but I figured I could make a living playing with scrubs because clearly european leagues suck" thread we've seen 100 times before?

The, you know, Asia League? It does exist.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/league_home.php?leagueid=147

Kazakhstan could also be classified as Asia, I hear their league pays out a lot compared to superior leagues like the Italian and French top leagues so it's not a bad answer for the OP's question.

ficohok*

French and Italian leagues superior to Kazakh? You gotta be kidding...

All the best kazak's are playing either in KHL or VHL, while both French and especially Italian league are heavily imported.

I would agree that Italian league is the "worst" when you compare salary to league quality.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
If you're a North American with an EU passport or citizenship, the British NIHL (3rd tier) is not a bad option

You'll have a small wage and won't have much disposable income but the team will put you up in a team house and give you free equipment etc. so you can survive just playing hockey and the standard of play is pretty rubbish. If you played junior A, NCAA III or CIS one of the bigger budget teams would sign you in a heartbeat, but you have to be able to enter the country without needing a work permit hence the requirement for an EU passport

NIHL team Wightlink Raiders are currently carrying this guy as their import (allowed 2 imports but other one is the player/coach) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=75920

ficohok*

If we're talking about proper salaries rather than just survival, how about the Dutch league?

Yes, you are right. I remember Hecimovic, who played in Dutch prior to coming to Medvescak and becoming "star" in EBEL, said to me that he had around 35.000 euros per season in Den Hague. :)

So, it is "tight" battle between Dutch and Italian league:laugh:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

LOL, I wish. I'm A. too old and B. not good enough to play professional hockey. Well, maybe that's not true. Perhaps I could be decent in like the Hungarian league but definitely it is not an option to live off of. I'm merely curious personally.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
If you're a North American with an EU passport or citizenship, the British NIHL (3rd tier) is not a bad option

You'll have a small wage and won't have much disposable income but the team will put you up in a team house and give you free equipment etc. so you can survive just playing hockey and the standard of play is pretty rubbish. If you played junior A, NCAA III or CIS one of the bigger budget teams would sign you in a heartbeat, but you have to be able to enter the country without needing a work permit hence the requirement for an EU passport

NIHL team Wightlink Raiders are currently carrying this guy as their import (allowed 2 imports but other one is the player/coach) http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=75920

There is a Germany3???

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Yes, you are right. I remember Hecimovic, who played in Dutch prior to coming to Medvescak and becoming "star" in EBEL, said to me that he had around 35.000 euros per season in Den Hague. :)

So, it is "tight" battle between Dutch and Italian league:laugh:

I figured the Italian league would be in the mix for the question. I didn't know you could do that well in the Danish league :laugh:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
Is Germany3 equivalent to high division beer league in Canada haha?

Here's an interesting question. Where does Canadian university hockey rank in relation to the Euro leagues?

No, it's more like one of the lower level NA pro leagues like the SPHL, and to answer your 2nd question, the CIS. I don't know about other leagues but the EPIHL (England) is quite comparable to Germany3, maybe Finland3 as well

The standard of hockey in Germany is actually surprisingly good because the DEL and DEL 2 has quite a lot of imports

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
No, it's more like one of the lower level NA pro leagues like the SPHL, and to answer your 2nd question, the CIS. I don't know about other leagues but the EPIHL (England) is quite comparable to Germany3, maybe Finland3 as well

The standard of hockey in Germany is actually surprisingly good because the DEL and DEL 2 has quite a lot of imports

I always knew the DEL and #2 were pretty good. Had no idea a #3 existed though haha.

How does the Aussie league stack up vs. Europe? I've played against a couple guys that played pro in Australia and was easily better than them so of all of these lesser pro leagues thats maybe the one I have the most accurate idea of their skill.

I also didn't know there was a Finland 3. I figured after Finalnd 2 you were basically at beer league non pro levels.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I always knew the DEL and #2 were pretty good. Had no idea a #3 existed though haha.

How does the Aussie league stack up vs. Europe? I've played against a couple guys that played pro in Australia and was easily better than them so of all of these lesser pro leagues thats maybe the one I have the most accurate idea of their skill.

I also didn't know there was a Finland 3. I figured after Finalnd 2 you were basically at beer league non pro levels.

Most Euro countries have at least 3 levels of pro or semi-pro hockey, and then usually a couple of levels below that where they play for nothing but it is still competitive organised league hockey i.e. not classed as "beer league" even though it would usually be beer league by NA standards (obviously in NA there's so many players but so few pro leagues)

The Australian league is odd, they do get some quite good import players who want to play some good summer hockey and the rest of the team is made up of Aussie locals so the depth really sucks.

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
germany have in every sport at least a germany4or5. there is a germany12 in tabletennis :D :D :D

in european semi-pro and amateur leagues exist regulation and promotion between the leagues. this make the leagues competitive. you don´t play for an unimportant cup; you play to promote your team and your city to a higher level.

MullerBrotenVerbeek

Aug 2, 2013
What's the worst Euro or Asian pro-league that doesn't pay a livable salary? Assuming you didn't care about pay at all and just wanted an excuse to live somewhere new and play abroad.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I believe there is a league in Luxembourg, so I am sure that doesn't pay very well. I would also think some of the former Asian Soviet countries would pay poorly too. Actually, probably the worst is the league in North Korea (though admittedly I know very little about it and perhaps by North Korean standards you are paid handsomely as I'm guessing you are also in the public service like the Soviet teams were.).

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Your brain will probably implode for hearing this, but Finland actually has seven tiers. #3 is probably the lowest though where you could play for a living.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
What about Division 2 in France? There are lot of foreign players and i dont think, they are there for vacation.

For better explain, in France is League Magnus, Division 1, Division 2, Division 3. So, its the 3. league in France.

Division 3 is a question. Someone from France should explain this, but IMO this is already a semi-pro league.

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
What about Division 2 in France? There are lot of foreign players and i dont think, they are there for vacation.

For better explain, in France is League Magnus, Division 1, Division 2, Division 3. So, its the 3. league in France.

Division 3 is a question. Someone from France should explain this, but IMO this is already a semi-pro league.

Division 1 and 2 are already semi-pro. As in, if you're an import player, the team will find you a job outside hockey that will let you enough time for practice.

You will be able to live decently but won't earn a king's ransom.

Really, you do this if you want to play competitive hockey and live in France, not to make money.

Only upper Division 1 teams that want to get promoted to Magnus would be full professionals or close to (like Lyon and Bordeaux these past years).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad