Worst draft year ?

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Which is the worst draft year in your opinion ? I have to put my vote on 1999. Patrik Stefan as number one ? Havlat was the best one in the first round and he was picked as number 26..then there were Sedins, Connoly..perhaps Boynton and Tanabe but overall it's not a good year.

KaptainKourage*

1999 1st round draft was DISGUSTING, right. But others rounds are okay..

Zetterberg & Erat in 7th round

Exelby, Khavanov, Martinek and Murray in 8th.
Leopold, Hall, Zigomanis in 2nd...
Kaberle, Havelid, Caron, Comrie in 3rd..
Malone in 4th

Some good names here.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
1997 is the terrible year no-one ever really talks about.

The top 12 picks were great (Thornton, Marleau, Jokinen, Luongo, Hossa, etc.). The rest of that draft was the thinnest in recent history.

Only 26 players taken after the 12th pick went on to become regular NHL players. By comparison, in the 1996 draft (considered by many to be the worst ever), 39 players taken after pick 12 went on to solid careers. Fully a 50% difference.

Ottawa, San Jose, Boston, and NYI loaded up in '97, and pretty much everyone else left with squat.

_________

1996 and 1999 have had the weakest first rounds in recent history. 2004 will probably join that group.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1999 1st round draft was DISGUSTING, right. But others rounds are okay..

Zetterberg & Erat in 7th round

Exelby, Khavanov, Martinek and Murray in 8th.
Leopold, Hall, Zigomanis in 2nd...
Kaberle, Havelid, Caron, Comrie in 3rd..
Malone in 4th

Some good names here.

The Sedihns, Connolly, Jackman, and Havlat are pretty good players out of the first round.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Recently, 1996 and 1999 stick out as particularly bad years for me. Neither had much overall talent and many 1st round busts.

South Florida Canuck

Biggest Canucks Superfan in South Florida
Jun 8, 2006
Jupiter, FL
Last year, with the exception of Crosby didnt really have too many standout prospects, although it is still way too soon to tell if it was a horrible draft year. The worst draft year in my opinion has to be 1989 (dont really remember too much about 96) but if you look at all the players drafted that year, about a third of them I look at and just say to myself "who?"

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Last year, with the exception of Crosby didnt really have too many standout prospects, although it is still way too soon to tell if it was a horrible draft year. The worst draft year in my opinion has to be 1989 (dont really remember too much about 96) but if you look at all the players drafted that year, about a third of them I look at and just say to myself "who?"

Johnson
Brule
Ryan
Bourdon
Staal
Pouliot
Kopitar
Skille

What are you smoking?

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Johnson
Brule
Ryan
Bourdon
Staal
Pouliot
Kopitar
Skille

What are you smoking?

Right. And the later rounds seems to be not bad, too. There are enough guys who have the talent to play in the NHL like Ryan Stoa, Guillaume Latendresse, Paul Stastny, Tom Fritsche, Dan Bertram, Marc-Andre Cliche, etc. and enough prospects that already be labled as steals like Keith Yandle in the 4th, Stanislav Lascek in the 5th and Jean-Philippe Levasseu in the 7th round.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Well IMO 96 is the worst draft I can remember Phillips, Dumont, Briere, and Morris stand out from the 1st round, but MANY MANY bust (haha Volchenkov, Zyuzin), Craig Hillier the top goalie in the draft haha, at least.

I would rather the 99 1st rounders over the 96 ones, the Sedins came on strong last year with that, Connolly was ok, Havlat is the star of the 1st round, Boynton plays solid out there, Jillson isn't bad either, Stefan though never living up to expectations isn't lost on the ice though.

and one last thing, for the guy that posted this, how can you think this, OMG this is one of the strongest drafts ever IMO.

89 be a bad year?????
Pavel Bure, Mats Sundin, Niclas Lidstrom, Sergei Fedorov, Bill Gurien, Bobby Holik, Vladimir Konstantinov, Adam Foote, Mike Sillinger, Robert Reichel, Olaf Kolzig, Kevin Haller, Travis Green, Patrice Brisebois, Scott Thornton, Greg Johnson, Byron Dafoe, Rob Zamneur, Stu Barnes, Scott Pellerin, Wes Walz, Kris Draper, Jason Woolley, Joseph Beranek, Trent Klatt, Dallas Drake, Donald Audette, Vladimir Malakhov

this 89 draft to me looked like it turned out pretty good, not too many drafts you can get those type of players especially Bure, Sundian, LIdstrom and Fedorov in one draft...WOW...I don't see how this can be a bad draft.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Well IMO 96 is the worst draft I can remember Phillips, Dumont, Briere, and Morris stand out from the 1st round, but MANY MANY bust (haha Volchenkov, Zyuzin), Craig Hillier the top goalie in the draft haha, at least.

I would rather the 99 1st rounders over the 97 ones, the Sedins came on strong last year with that, Connolly was ok, Havlat is the star of the 1st round, Boynton plays solid out there, Jillson isn't bad either, Stefan though never living up to expectations isn't lost on the ice though.

and one last thing, for the guy that posted this, how can you think this, OMG this is one of the strongest drafts ever IMO.

89 be a bad year?????
Pavel Bure, Mats Sundin, Niclas Lidstrom, Sergei Fedorov, Bill Gurien, Bobby Holik, Vladimir Konstantinov, Adam Foote, Mike Sillinger, Robert Reichel, Olaf Kolzig, Kevin Haller, Travis Green, Patrice Brisebois, Scott Thornton, Greg Johnson, Byron Dafoe, Rob Zamneur, Stu Barnes, Scott Pellerin, Wes Walz, Kris Draper, Jason Woolley, Joseph Beranek, Trent Klatt, Dallas Drake, Donald Audette, Vladimir Malakhov

this 89 draft to me looked like it turned out pretty good, not too many drafts you can get those type of players especially Bure, Sundian, LIdstrom and Fedorov in one draft...WOW...I don't see how this can be a bad draft.

Wow you'd take the 1st rounders of 99 over 97? 97 had Thornton, PM, Luongo, Jokinen, Hossa and a few im probably missing. The best player out of the 99 draft 1st round isn't as good as any of those guys listed, except for Havlat. 97 is a good year because of the top end talent.
Sedins are good, but have taken along time to develop, Connolly has takent along time to develop as well, and is not a good pick for where he was taken. Stefan is an awful #1, Jilson ... god. 97's top end talent absolutely burns 99.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Wow you'd take the 1st rounders of 99 over 97? 97 had Thornton, PM, Luongo, Jokinen, Hossa and a few im probably missing. The best player out of the 99 draft 1st round isn't as good as any of those guys listed, except for Havlat. 97 is a good year because of the top end talent.
Sedins are good, but have taken along time to develop, Connolly has takent along time to develop as well, and is not a good pick for where he was taken. Stefan is an awful #1, Jilson ... god. 97's top end talent absolutely burns 99.

ah you must have noticed I was talking about 96 the whole time in other post and that was just a miss write there, I ment I would take the 99s over the 96s

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

2004, trying to see how that was a bad draft,

Ovechkin, Ladd, Olesz, Wolski, Meszaros, Green, Campoli already contributing very well in the NHL.

Plus prospects like:
Malkin, Schremp, Barker, Tukonen, Radulov, Smid, Karsums, Stafford, Soderberg, Krejci, Pogge, McGrath, Nokelainen, Zajac, Bourque. Plus alot of other prospects who I either missed since I did this from the top of my head, or some others that have not developed yet.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
1996 has got to be the worst. Chris Phillips as the #1 overall pick. I remember at that time thinking back in '96 that it was weird no one was considered to be better than Phillips. I was thinking to myself how could Phillips (who wasnt an offensive defenseman) be better than Briere who racked up I think it was 167 points. Now 10 years later I guess I'm right. Its shocking that Briere went 17th or somehting like that in '96. That was at a time when the NHL had this boneheaded way of thinking that if you were under 6'0" you were no good.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
1996 has got to be the worst. Chris Phillips as the #1 overall pick. I remember at that time thinking back in '96 that it was weird no one was considered to be better than Phillips. I was thinking to myself how could Phillips (who wasnt an offensive defenseman) be better than Briere who racked up I think it was 167 points. Now 10 years later I guess I'm right. Its shocking that Briere went 17th or somehting like that in '96. That was at a time when the NHL had this boneheaded way of thinking that if you were under 6'0" you were no good.

Phillips is a very good defensman. #2 on most teams in the league, he's so underrated, and in the playoffs he raises his play so much, over the past years he was Ottawa's best defenseman in the post season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad