Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
WHC > WJC in popularity in Europe
WJC > WHC in entertainment value
WHC > WJC in talent level

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
WHC is still #1 in Finland especially among casual viewers, but WJC has grown tremendously from relative obscurity to very popular too. While WJC is much more entertaining and interesting (from prospect-watching standpoint) for me and other more hardcore hockey fans, WHC might be easier to watch for casual fans (like people who only watch hockey when Team Finland is playing) since you start recognizing the names and it's easier to cheer for them. In WJC it's always a revolving door.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
In Russia WHC games are on the biggest national TV channel, and WJC games are on a sport channel, which is probably 1/100 of the 1st Channel by viewers' numbers.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
I think WJC has only been viewable on flow TV in Denmark since 2016. So theres your answer.

Last edited:

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
WJC has grown a lot in popularity in Finland, but it's nowhere near WHC yet.

Mara

May 10, 2011
Finnish success in WJC has boosted numbers quite nicely in recent years, 2016 final seems to have averaged 1,9 million viewers. In comparison the recent WHC game against Latvia averaged 1,2 million. Overall WHC is of course much, much more popular.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
In denmark the WC is biggest..no doubt..the success of the danish team at wjc means that the games are broadcast on tv.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Very interesting. Too bad the WHC is little more than an after thought over here.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Very interesting. Too bad the WHC is little more than an after thought over here.

Stanley Cup playoffs are a bigger always have been in North America.

Although the Gold Medal games in recent years at the WHC have drawn some massive numbers.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I feel the WHC is growing in popularity in Canada. I would imagine the recent Canadian resurgence of success at the tournament with back to back 15' and 16' Gold along with 17' silver has also aided in boosting its popularity.

Reactions: albator71

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Juniors are considered totally insignificant compared to the current tourney. I suspect the North American fascination for the juniors tournament strikes most Europeans as odd or absurd, much like their sabotaging the Olympics and (effectively) the current tournament. Cultural differences, I suppose. Similarly, no one in Europe has a clue what "college sports" are, and that they are in any way interesting to North Americans is just mind-boggling for Europeans.

Ares

May 8, 2018
I suspect that with the exception of Sweden and Finland, Europe doesn't know or care about WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad