OT: World Juniors Thread!

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Figured a thread solely dedicated to the general talk of the tournament would be helpful in keeping the prospects thread about Blues prospects.

USA has lost some of the beef from last year.

Canada is getting Mete which is huge for the Igloo people.

Rasmus Dahlin will be on full display.

I'm excited!

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I'm just happy to see the Blues well represented. Going to enjoy watching Kostin go up against Dahlin December 31st @ 7:00 Central. I'm not a fan of the outdoor game. Alot will be riding on that game and having outdoor factors potentially impact the outcome is not good in my eyes.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Kyrou, Thomas and Kostin should all have pretty big roles in this tourney.

NKC could be on Denmark’s top line but his team is likely to get stomped most of the time.

Helt likely for Czech Republic? I’d imagine he wouldn’t be a key cog for them.

Anyone else I’m missing?

Who are the favorites this year? I’ll say US, Canada and Sweden. Russia 4th.

Glad Svechnikov is healthy again. Want to see both him and Dahlin against this level of competition.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Do they stream these games anywhere usually? I'll be in Florida during most of the tournament with no access to NHL network. Still hope to catch a few games.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
So excited the wjc will literally be at where i work lol. Can't wait to see robert thomas dominate this tournament show everyone the blues got an absolute steal at #20.

Reactions: Parayko Physics

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
pardo my ignorance and I only ask because I want to be accurate and not miss. Is this the tournament in Denmark this spring or it is much sooner?

Edit: deeper google and I figured it out.
link for anyone else looking for more info - Games

tomin

AintNoSeats
Sponsor
Dec 18, 2014
It is all coming back to me but sour trivia for those interested - Blues organization was deep on getting this tournament in STL at Scott Trade. Buffalo was, from what I heard, late or a heavy last minute push to snag tournament and got it.
Point of the post is - tournament was almost held in STL, would have been cool but mute point now, I know.
Those who have followed this longer and more than I have may have already know this or know different story so feel free to correct, that's just what I've heard in passing at Scott Trade Center.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It is all coming back to me but sour trivia for those interested - Blues organization was deep on getting this tournament in STL at Scott Trade. Buffalo was, from what I heard, late or a heavy last minute push to snag tournament and got it.
Point of the post is - tournament was almost held in STL, would have been cool but mute point now, I know.
Those who have followed this longer and more than I have may have already know this or know different story so feel free to correct, that's just what I've heard in passing at Scott Trade Center.

I don’t recall Buffalo coming in late. I recall them being in it the whole time and it was between them, STL and PIT.

STL made sense as it was known back then that a lot of STL kids were about to be drafted high and thus there was likely to be quite a few STL kids in this tourney but BUF was always the safe bet and front runner. They’re right next to Canada (this tourney draws big in Canada and there’s been a few recent WJCs in the States that haven’t had overly impressive attendance) and they secured the outdoor game (although I recall there being talk of STL also suggesting an outdoor game at Busch) but all of those factors together pretty easily gave it to BUF IMO.

Reactions: tomin

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don’t recall Buffalo coming in late. I recall them being in it the whole time and it was between them, STL and PIT.

STL made sense as it was known back then that a lot of STL kids were about to be drafted high and thus there was likely to be quite a few STL kids in this tourney but BUF was always the safe bet and front runner. They’re right next to Canada (this tourney draws big in Canada and there’s been a few recent WJCs in the States that haven’t had overly impressive attendance) and they secured the outdoor game (although I recall there being talk of STL also suggesting an outdoor game at Busch) but all of those factors together pretty easily gave it to BUF IMO.

Buffalo also has the best setup for these kind of things w/ the Harborcenter(my work) being built across the street and attached to Key Bank Center. 3 pads total, tons of meeting room accesibilities, canal side to setup a world juniors olympic village. Also the outdoor us/canada border battle game at new era field.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I'm still incredibly bitter about the WJC decision. I couldn't care less about the "logical" reasons why Buffalo made sense. From an outside onlooker, choosing a U.S. city that already had the tournament 7 years ago as opposed to a new venue for the simple reason that the chosen U.S. city is closer to Canada is B.S. Especially when it was admitted by the IIHF that St. Louis had a better presentation.

The tournament could have easily worked in St. Louis. There was no reason that St. Louis wasn't a good spot given data from all the other previous venues. But no, let's cater to a Canadian fanbase by making Torontonians drives easier. But on the bright side, we get an outdoor game! Ignore the fact that St. Louis could have done that too...

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Anyone seen a tv schedule for this year’s tourney yet? I assume it’ll be NHL Network centric like it has been but an actual schedule would be nice.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
not sure on the nhl network schedule but if you google "nhl streams" then you should find a link to a certain forum that is very popular and starts with an r and ends in edit that will likely have links to streams that are good quality for every game. Luckily it will all be during our time zone being in buffalo this year.

I will be on vacation but im going to watch what I can, though perhaps will wait until im back and watch replays on binge

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Thomas is the 2C and Kyrou 1RW to start out main camp.

I would get [excited] to see those two on the same line and dominating against competition. Actually come to think of it if that happens I wont be looking at the trade thread on the main forum too often.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I would get [excited] to see those two on the same line and dominating against competition. Actually come to think of it if that happens I wont be looking at the trade thread on the main forum too often.
Same line or not, mains are going to be fun. Watching all the crying because Suzuki and Glass were cut while Thomas stayed, It will be glorious to see the crow eaten. He's a better 2 way player and out producing those guys PPG wise. Trade boards will light up too.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
The Blues have 5 representatives on the team this year. That is pretty darn good. I am not sure if we have had that many or not. Usually, excited to see 3 or 4. I had completely forgotten about Helt. Good call IA.

The really nice thing about this is that many of the players will be top line or top 6.

But it is odd not to see a dman from the Blues on any team. Usually we have someone playing on the 3rd pairing.....

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
The Blues have 5 representatives on the team this year. That is pretty darn good. I am not sure if we have had that many or not. Usually, excited to see 3 or 4. I had completely forgotten about Helt. Good call IA.

The really nice thing about this is that many of the players will be top line or top 6.

But it is odd not to see a dman from the Blues on any team. Usually we have someone playing on the 3rd pairing.....

We were close to having Kaspick as well. Our defensive prospects are pretty weak at this point. Noel is the only one with a sign of life at the U20 level. Unless you count mikkola but he’s not flashy enough for this.

Zamadoo

Hail to the CHIEF
Apr 4, 2013
Thomas with a goal and two helpers (one of those a great PP faceoff win). Kyrou with some good created chances. Helt has touched the ice a few times. Good times.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Does anybody know why the Canada USA game isn't on New Year's Eve this year? That's a yearly tradition and I'm disappointed that it's not happening. Canada doesn't even play on New Year's Eve this year which kinda sucks.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Does anybody know why the Canada USA game isn't on New Year's Eve this year? That's a yearly tradition and I'm disappointed that it's not happening. Canada doesn't even play on New Year's Eve this year which kinda sucks.
From what I could find they did it in case of bad weather with the outdoor game. If they tried having the outdoor game on the 31st and the weather didn't play well it would mess up the medal round. Sucks though, just seems weird.

Edit: and Thomas has looked amazing so far in this first Pre-Tournament game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->