Prospect Info: World Juniors II: Sweden Drops the Soderbomb

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
You're right. The U.S. has yet to make the finals in 90 years. Fun fact, in the 1950 Brazil/Uruguay match, there were 199,834 spectators in attendance. 199K+ not a typo. I would have thought England would've won more, guess not.

Brazil (5), Germany & Italy (4 each) own this.
View attachment 382104

My stupid England declined to participate in the first few because they thought it was beneath them. At the time when they may well have won!

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
In before people complaining we got Seider instead of Zegras after his monster WJC performance
Zegras was obvious choice for #6 pick, but I guess plan was to get the best available defenseman. Now plan should be to get the best available center. Don't forget Zegras playing against kids and Seider playing against man

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Team USA explains «trash can» controversy after gold medal win against Canada

Speaking with US staff, the team had a motto - “one barrel at a time”. This was their last barrel and they’ve been putting team logos on them each game. That was the barrel for this game and the reason they brought it out. They say it wasn’t a trash can.
— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) January 6, 2021

Trevor Zegras explains why Team U.S.A. brought the blue barrel out onto the ice. #WorldJuniors pic.twitter.com/SfPyHZv3zH
— TSN (@TSN_Sports) January 6, 2021
Head coach Nate Leaman used his Twitter account to confirm that it was a barrel to portray their motto since the start of the tournament and is adamant there was no disrespect to Team Canada.

"Just to be transparent. It was barrel on the ice with our team after the game. It was motivation for our team to take the tournament one game at a time. I am sure every team had something of motivation. The barrel was ours. No disrespect to Canada who is a great team."

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Team USA explains «trash can» controversy after gold medal win against Canada

Speaking with US staff, the team had a motto - “one barrel at a time”. This was their last barrel and they’ve been putting team logos on them each game. That was the barrel for this game and the reason they brought it out. They say it wasn’t a trash can.
— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) January 6, 2021

Trevor Zegras explains why Team U.S.A. brought the blue barrel out onto the ice. #WorldJuniors pic.twitter.com/SfPyHZv3zH
— TSN (@TSN_Sports) January 6, 2021
Head coach Nate Leaman used his Twitter account to confirm that it was a barrel to portray their motto since the start of the tournament and is adamant there was no disrespect to Team Canada.

"Just to be transparent. It was barrel on the ice with our team after the game. It was motivation for our team to take the tournament one game at a time. I am sure every team had something of motivation. The barrel was ours. No disrespect to Canada who is a great team."

Yeah, I mean not to make a huge deal about it, but I still don't think that was necessary for the Championship photo. Sure you can have all the motivational tools you want, but I personally don't see the need to "rub salt in the wounds" by having that there.

I'm not really looking to get into it with any Americans either. I realize most Wings fans in this group are probably Americans, but as a Canadian, I didn't like it. I prefer when teams are honourable and can win with class. If Canada won a tournament, and brought the silver medalists logo out there for the team picture on a trash bin, I wouldn't be happy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Zegras was obvious choice for #6 pick, but I guess plan was to get the best available defenseman. Now plan should be to get the best available center. Don't forget Zegras playing against kids and Seider playing against man
Imagine Seider’s icetime on that german D.
35 minutes per game would have been possible.

Reactions: lilidk

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Yeah, I mean not to make a huge deal about it, but I still don't think that was necessary for the Championship photo. Sure you can have all the motivational tools you want, but I personally don't see the need to "rub salt in the wounds" by having that there.

I'm not really looking to get into it with any Americans either. I realize most Wings fans in this group are probably Americans, but as a Canadian, I didn't like it. I prefer when teams are honourable and can win with class. If Canada won a tournament, and brought the silver medalists logo out there for the team picture on a trash bin, I wouldn't be happy.
I'm not condoning what Team USA did with the barrel/trash can, I just posted the link.

On that note, yes, classy is the way to go. However, these are teenage boys.

mod

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Do eagles eat geese? The Eagle has landed.

upload_2021-1-6_16-35-1.png

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Lol, Levi literally won best goaltender of the tournament. I said anything can happen in single elimination. Levi allowed 2 even strength goals the entire tournament, I'm not taking any medicine lol

He shouldn't have won, Knight was better, just had to play more good teams.

Do what you want, you lost to the big goalie that was the prediction... Team Canada will fall into goals with their talent huh, take a lap.

That is exactly what I proposed would be how the USA would win. Russia disappointed but the theory of how they would go out is exactly what happened. Until they bunkered they also got outplayed, I will admit that surprised me a little. I thought it would be closer than that first 40 minutes.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
He shouldn't have won, Knight was better, just had to play more good teams.

Do what you want, you lost to the big goalie that was the prediction... Team Canada will fall into goals with their talent huh, take a lap.

That is exactly what I proposed would be how the USA would win. Russia disappointed but the theory of how they would go out is exactly what happened. Until they bunkered they also got outplayed, I will admit that surprised me a little. I thought it would be closer than that first 40 minutes.

Remind me when Levi had to get pulled after letting in a bunch of flukey goals against Russia...

"I am kind of expecting a USA vs Russia final right now.
I think Canada's goalies crash them out in the semifinal." - 1 semi final, 5-0 shutout win over Askarov later..

"Does Canada even have a top 5 netminder in the tournament?" - about goalie who went on to allow 2 even strength goals and win goalie of the tourney

"The power nations aren't rolling guys over the boards that don't know how to score" - power 5 nations go on to score 2 even strength goals against him

"a decent sign for Canada's goalies tonight, didn't think they were capable of keeping a shutout at all. I think while you hope their offense figures some things out, my guess is for those that say this offensive performance isn't repeatable, I have doubts their goalie one was tonight either." - 3 or 4 shutouts later for Levi, 2 even strength goals in 7 games later...

Like I said a bunch of times, anything can happen in a single elimination and Knight is obviously good enough to steal a game, never denied that. With that being said though, I dont think its me that needs to take a lap about goaltending prediction. I dont see you saying much about that 5-0 win over that big goalie in the semis either, for the record

Reactions: Marky9er

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm not condoning what Team USA did with the barrel/trash can, I just posted the link.

On that note, yes, classy is the way to go. However, these are teenage boys.

mod
To be fair, teams do this stuff behind closed doors all the time, bringing it out on the ice was poorly thought out. End of story.

It'll be motivation for our guys (Canada) next year, though.

Reactions: RedWingzz

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Nope, instead we seem to be getting people complaining about complaining that hasn't occurred

honestly though Seider and Zegras are both great prospects that both would have been good picks from the looks of it

that draft seems like it could easily end up being another 2015,not quite as strong at the very top but in the sense of just how many really good players it produced

could easily end up with 10 guys who "deserve" to be top 5 picks when its all said and done

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Remind me when Levi had to get pulled after letting in a bunch of flukey goals against Russia...

"I am kind of expecting a USA vs Russia final right now.
I think Canada's goalies crash them out in the semifinal." - 1 semi final, 5-0 shutout win over Askarov later..

"Does Canada even have a top 5 netminder in the tournament?" - about goalie who went on to allow 2 even strength goals and win goalie of the tourney

"The power nations aren't rolling guys over the boards that don't know how to score" - power 5 nations go on to score 2 even strength goals against him

"a decent sign for Canada's goalies tonight, didn't think they were capable of keeping a shutout at all. I think while you hope their offense figures some things out, my guess is for those that say this offensive performance isn't repeatable, I have doubts their goalie one was tonight either." - 3 or 4 shutouts later for Levi, 2 even strength goals in 7 games later...

Like I said a bunch of times, anything can happen in a single elimination and Knight is obviously good enough to steal a game, never denied that. With that being said though, I dont think its me that needs to take a lap about goaltending prediction. I dont see you saying much about that 5-0 win over that big goalie in the semis either, for the record

I addressed it during the game and said as much.

His 19 year old tournament is still a year from now. Knight was far from perfect last year. The talent is there, he has played well in the KHL which is a better level of hockey.

Levi got beat by the better goalie, that is what it really comes down to. That with all that firepower it felt like you could give them another 20 minutes and Canada wasn't going to score on him. It's a big deal, but maybe I see it that way because Gibson and Knight are two of it that have hammered it home for my team. I hope Knight plays at the Worlds if they happen.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I really don't understand talking up Knight - outside of one good game - a game in which the US really kept Canada to the perimeter on all but a few opportunities.
Knight wasn't the story of the game, to me.
It was the defensive team play along with being opportunistic.
Look at that Finland game.
Not a great game by Knight at all. Not a great game by the US. But that opportunist,

So many snipers on the team.
And I don't think Canada had a puck skills guy as good as Zegras. Maybe Perfetti's that guy next year.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
honestly though Seider and Zegras are both great prospects that both would have been good picks from the looks of it

that draft seems like it could easily end up being another 2015,not quite as strong at the very top but in the sense of just how many really good players it produced

could easily end up with 10 guys who "deserve" to be top 5 picks when its all said and done

Zegras or Broberg were my hopeful picks for that draft. I wouldn't change the outcome for anything even though I nearly shot my Two Hearted draft through my nose when the pick was announced.

I can see Seider becoming a Suter-like player for us in terms of eating big minutes, shutting down top lines and having above average scoring ability.

I think Anaheim got the player they needed and we got ours. We'll just sit back and watch our player plow theirs through the boards when they play:thumbu:

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1