World Hockey Championship - Canada

Default101

Well Hockey Canada has already announced 6 players for team canada Edmonton's Dwayne Roloson, St. Louis' Eric Brewer, Los Angeles' Mike Cammaleri, Phoenix' Shane Doan, and Columbus' Rick Nash, which got me thinking, who would idealy be your 2007 team Canada, assuming all the players were willing to comply, using non playoff teams of course because this tournament is set to start in i believe 2 weeks..

Toronto
NY Islanders
Carolina
Florida
Boston
Washington
Philadelphia
Colorado
St. Louis
Columbus
Edmonton
Chicago
Los Angeles
Phoenix

Here's my team.. this also assuming all players would comply and accept invites...

Ryan Smyth - Joe Sakic - Shane Doan
Rick Nash - Eric Staal - Patrice Bergeron
Steve Reinprecht - Marc Savard - Joffrey Lupul
Simon Gagne - Mike Cammalleri - Nathan Horton

Rob Blake - Adam Foote
Bryan McCabe - Brent Seabrook
Jay Bouwmeester - Marc-Andre Bergeron

SG: Dwayne Roloson
BG: Cam Ward

Taxi Squad
RW - Justin Williams
C - Shawn Horcoff
LW - Brad Boyes
D - Derek Morris
D - Jason Smith
G - Andrew Raycroft

there's a gold medal winner :)

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
There is a thread in the International Tournaments Board where this is being discussed.

Personally, I would rather have Williams or Boyes than Reinprecht but other than that the team looks solid although I doubt Blake goes.

Bucket

Nov 26, 2006
Canada

That's what I was wondering. He's one of the most mistake ridden defencemen in the league.:teach: Smith should be in there before him.

And with season he's had, I seriously doubt Lupul would get a call. :help: Horcoff would get a call before him.

Bucket

Nov 26, 2006
Canada
Well, Horcoff was invited but turned it down. The Oilers have 2 guys on the US team, Roloson on Canada and that's all.

Schitzo

Jul 29, 2006
I'm surprised Pisani didn't get an invite - if you need a solid shutdown guy on the 3rd or 4th line, he's your man. If he managed to stay at an even +/- on this year's godawful oilers, he must be doing something right

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm surprised Pisani didn't get an invite - if you need a solid shutdown guy on the 3rd or 4th line, he's your man. If he managed to stay at an even +/- on this year's godawful oilers, he must be doing something right

I believe he turned down the invite.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Simon Gagne - Joe Sakic - Shane Doan
Ryan Smyth - Marc Savard - Rick Nash
Jarret Stoll - Rod Brind'Amour - Justin Williams
Mike Cammalleri - Eric Staal - Nathan Hortn
*Patrice Bergeron

Ed Jovanovski - Jay Bouwmeester
Eric Brewer - Rob Blake
Marc-Andre Bergeron - Barret Jackman
*Jason Smith

Dwayne Roloson
Manny Legace
Martin Biron

TAXI:
G Curtis Joseph
D Derek Morris
D Brent Seabrook
F Scott Walker
F Steven Reinprecht
F Stephen Weiss

TORONTO: Darcy Tucker, Kyle Wellwood, Bryan McCabe, Michael Peca, Andrew Raycroft
MONTREAL: Sheldon Souray

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Simon Gagne - Joe Sakic - Shane Doan
Ryan Smyth - Marc Savard - Rick Nash
Jarret Stoll - Rod Brind'Amour - Justin Williams
Mike Cammalleri - Eric Staal - Nathan Hortn
*Patrice Bergeron

Ed Jovanovski - Jay Bouwmeester
Eric Brewer - Rob Blake
Marc-Andre Bergeron - Barret Jackman
*Jason Smith

Dwayne Roloson
Manny Legace
Martin Biron

TAXI:
G Curtis Joseph
D Derek Morris
D Brent Seabrook
F Scott Walker
F Steven Reinprecht
F Stephen Weiss

TORONTO: Darcy Tucker, Kyle Wellwood, Bryan McCabe, Michael Peca, Andrew Raycroft
MONTREAL: Sheldon Souray

Stoll I believe is still having problems with his concussion and likely won't play again until next year, if at all.

MAB might be more suited to international ice, even though Smith is 10 times better than him in the NHL.

QuickDynamite

Jul 3, 2004
Abu Dhabi
Hopefully Sakic will come and play at the World Championships but i'm sure alot of those players will choose not to come. And what's with Roloson? He can't be the best goalie out there for Canada i'd much rather have Cam Ward.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
What should Canada's priority at the next three Worlds be?

a) Put together the best team possible, with several veterans, to give them the best chance at gold?

or

b) Try to put several young players in the lineup so they'll have international experience when the 2010 Olympics roll around?

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005

a) Put together the best team possible, with several veterans, to give them the best chance at gold?

or

b) Try to put several young players in the lineup so they'll have international experience when the 2010 Olympics roll around?

Canada's goal, no matter what the tournament, is to win gold. This is USA hockey where we pick a bunch of players who might be good in 4 years, we wanna win this year, and every year.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg

or

I think by just naturally picking the best team available, there will be a good mix of younger (J-Bo, Horton, Jackman, Nash, Staal, Bergeron etc) and older guys (Doan, Sakic, BrindAmour, etc) :dunno:

brownman*

When the Canucks are swept, hopefully Luongo will join the team.

Harold

Aug 17, 2006
Kelowna
When the Canucks are swept, hopefully Luongo will join the team.

When the Canucks are in the Stanley Cup Finals the tournament will already be over, so that won't work out.

But hopefully when Toronto leapfrogs Montreal this week and the Canadiens are golfing, Souray can play D for Canada's team.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
It's been reported here that defenseman Cory Murphy (Finnish league MVP, voted by both players and reporters... signed with the Panthers for next season) has been called to Team Canada World Championship training camp/preparation camp (whatever) which is held here in Helsinki at the end of April.

So, they're at least considering him for the team then...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->