World Hockey Association

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellHockey*

Scugs said:
All I know is that Toronto wouldnt have a great home for whatever WHA team it decides to put here. ACC belongs to the Leafs and Ricoh to the Baby Leafs......

Try the Skydome rrrrr Rogers Centre. If Edmonton can sell out Commonwealth outside surely Toronto can sell out the smaller stadium that's indoors.

The WHA appears to be looking at a tournament this spring with potential sites in Toronto, Vancouver, Portland, Hamilton, and Omaha. They've also hired well connected tv sports executive Laura Mellanby to secure tv deals.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
There's no rink in Vancouver. The Canucks aren't going to undercut themselves and rent out GM Place, and the Giants own the exclusive rights to the Coliseum.

There's nowhere to play, and even if they do, they'll be paying what? 100 grand to play? You're still at the same place, the *only* place players make money is the NHL.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
mr gib said:
i realize its all hypothetical but say if rupert murdoch or those owners involved in the mls got involved - coupled with being pissed off at the nhl - ( check the way the mls opperates ) - have a franchise player or two rool - the nhl continues to bungle long enough for these guys to be the only game in town - paul allen in portland gets going - murdoch has the global cable company - lures some names - pays them - its a stretch but... as for the cities - london paris winnipeg etc
Paul Allen has passed on opportunities to buy an NHL franchise so I don't see him investing heavily in a new league which would be far more risky. And Rupert Murdoch? Has he ever expressed an interest in owning a hockey team? (Serious question...I do not know the answer but with the amount of money he has, I would guess that if owning a hockey team was high on his list of thing he really wanted, he would have bought one already.) You can find a lot of rich people, but how many of them want to risk money on a new hockey league?

It is definitely a stretch. Too much of a stretch, IMO, for either the players or their supporters to hang their hat on.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
BlackRedGold said:
It'll probably be televised nationwide in Canada.

Yay. Hopefully it'll be as exciting as an all-star game. I'm sure with absolutely nothing on the line these guys will go all out. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad